Newbie questions about rock flower

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well mine likes to eat so i'd feed it if you want some decent growth, I got a new one about 3 months ago that started about 1" and now it has to be around 6" feeding really helps with growth.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so i received three rock flowers. I ordered two zebra's and one red, nothing special just simple plain colors. The zebra were listed as mixed color.

All three have settled in and opened but the two zebras are white. I know that usually can be a bad sign, and I'm sure right now it's because they are stressed from being shipped. Question is, how long before I start to worry about them? How long do you think i should give before they start to color up a little? Below is a pic, not a great one but better than nothing.

IMG_1070.JPG

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so i received three rock flowers. I ordered two zebra's and one red, nothing special just simple plain colors. The zebra were listed as mixed color.

All three have settled in and opened but the two zebras are white. I know that usually can be a bad sign, and I'm sure right now it's because they are stressed from being shipped. Question is, how long before I start to worry about them? How long do you think i should give before they start to color up a little? Below is a pic, not a great one but better than nothing.

IMG_1070.JPG

Can you get a pic under more white lighting? Some just have white ruffles. Some of mine have them white.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All three have settled in and opened but the two zebras are white. I know that usually can be a bad sign, and I'm sure right now it's because they are stressed from being shipped.

Rock Flower Anemones can come white. When your rock flower anemones turn transparent, that is usually a sick anemone. It doesn't necessarily mean too much light or too little from my experience. I keep about 40 specimens.

Question is, how long before I start to worry about them? How long do you think i should give before they start to color up a little? Below is a pic, not a great one but better than nothing.

They usually don't color up beyond what they are born with. You won't see a white zebra stripe RFA turn rainbow. Their are sick anemones that do lose their color. I received one from a friend last year that went black/brown and it took a year before the colors fully returned to a bright orange.

I usually wait a week before feeding new rock flower anemones. A healthy anemone will grab food very quickly while a sick anemone will respond extremely slow to food and at times may not respond at all.

Also, rock flower anemones do move but from my experience its because they over grow their crevice. I have several specimens near the 4" marker that I got at the size of a half dollar.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock Flower Anemones can come white. When your rock flower anemones turn transparent, that is usually a sick anemone. It doesn't necessarily mean too much light or too little from my experience. I keep about 40 specimens.

OK, thanks that's good to know. In that case, these guys look pretty healthy right now lol. I wasn't expecting anything exotic in color, just wasn't sure if they would gain anything. I don't mind the white, I'm still a proud dad!

They usually don't color up beyond what they are born with. You won't see a white zebra stripe RFA turn rainbow. Their are sick anemones that do lose their color. I received one from a friend last year that went black/brown and it took a year before the colors fully returned to a bright orange. I usually wait a week before feeding new rock flower anemones. A healthy anemone will grab food very quickly while a sick anemone will respond extremely slow to food and at times may not respond at all. Also said:
My plan is to do a nano tank with nothing but rock anemones later, I still think they are the neatest looking creature ever. I did some research but there always seems to be more questions. That's why I didn't get anything exotic the first time. Thank you for the advice on the waiting a week, I will do just that. One question I've had the whole time is, how big a piece of food can they have? I have mysis and brine shrimp right now, but thought about getting regular shrimp and cutting them up for them. But I wasn't sure how small to cut the pieces.

thanks again for chiming in, these guys are awesome.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to do a nano tank with nothing but rock anemones later, I still think they are the neatest looking creature ever. I did some research but there always seems to be more questions. That's why I didn't get anything exotic the first time. Thank you for the advice on the waiting a week, I will do just that. One question I've had the whole time is, how big a piece of food can they have? I have mysis and brine shrimp right now, but thought about getting regular shrimp and cutting them up for them. But I wasn't sure how small to cut the pieces.

sorry screwed that double quote up on that.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my three. I am going to order 5 more soon! I love their colors. They have moved a bit, but no more than 3-5" from where I placed. Stay put now. Mine get brine, mysis, and krill. The red tip one in the middle is getting big, almost 3" across.
IMG_8028.JPG
IMG_8073.JPG
IMG_8086.JPG

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b2d56fe5ce1a936d9d740698a6144fd7.jpg

Here are two of mine. The one on the left has white-brown edges and the green one on the right has white mixed in with the green, as well as white, grey and green bubbles on the flat part.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sorry screwed that double quote up on that.

They can easily swallow really large things but from what I have seen, once they've consumed their fill, they will spit out the remaining. You'll wake up one morning finding a ton of white looking balls in your sandbed if you overfeed them. I just feed the super small mysis now with a pipet. I've witnessed my damsels diving in to them and getting eatten. They will get partially consumed overnight and spat out.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are beautiful. Good advice on the food, I'll stick to mysis and brine. I'll take another pic tonight and post them.

I placed the smallest one in a hole in the middle of the rock and the two zebras buried their selves in between the rock and sand. I started looking into rock anemones because of the reputation of not moving much. Since then I've just really grown to like these guys.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are beautiful. Good advice on the food, I'll stick to mysis and brine. I'll take another pic tonight and post them.

I placed the smallest one in a hole in the middle of the rock and the two zebras buried their selves in between the rock and sand. I started looking into rock anemones because of the reputation of not moving much. Since then I've just really grown to like these guys.

Colors and hardiness are what sold me. $20 can yield you a pretty specimen and $60-100 can yield a very very nice specimen.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look pretty healthy.

I need to get some white zebra ones. I have a lot of crazy colors but not the plain old white ones.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner shrimp is going to get it one day if he doesn't quit messing with them lol. The two white ones are well over 2" when they are opened up, strange feeling they could snatch him up if they wanted to.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner shrimp is going to get it one day if he doesn't quit messing with them lol. The two white ones are well over 2" when they are opened up, strange feeling they could snatch him up if they wanted to.

It only takes one small mistake and he'll be a goner. :D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.9%
Back