Newbie questions about rock flower

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RFA.jpg

Here's my collection. They spawn frequently.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was expecting, I ordered them online. I was stoked to see how big they were.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pick up 3 rock flowers that are the size of a quarter. What is their growth rate like

They can grow fairly fast under optimal conditions. I was seeing 1" inch growth every 2-3 months on some. They do get to a point where growth slows down greatly though.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a thread on the nano forum, but I thought I would put this here too and get some opinions

So I am getting this 5 gallon marineland tank tomorrow. It comes with the tank, upgraded lighting, heater and sand. Paid $50 for it, which would be bad if it wasn't for the upgraded lighting. My plan is to do a rock flower anemone tank. I will have some CUC, maybe a few snails and a couple of shrimp, I'm undecided on what kind of shrimp I'll do. I might add a little coral to it one day but it's not in the immediate plans right now. Couple of questions if yall don't mind.

One is what kind of high temps can these guys take? This tank will be at work, on my desk. We have an air conditioner, but it has been known to randomly turn off over the weekend. I found a little hang on chiller, and wondering if I should invest in that.

questions two, is how many would be reasonable for a 5 gallon? I want it to be healthy and for them to be comfortable. I know some of them can get around 6", but do most of them actually get there?

24296447_387141595060240_2093489121183053370_n.jpg

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is what kind of high temps can these guys take? This tank will be at work, on my desk. We have an air conditioner, but it has been known to randomly turn off over the weekend. I found a little hang on chiller, and wondering if I should invest in that.

I've had temps hit 82-84 before for slightly long stretches and they seemed okay. I generally keep them around 80 though.

questions two, is how many would be reasonable for a 5 gallon?

I'd start with 2-3 and then work up from there.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't planning on adding very many very fast. My plan was to go more exotic colors on this tank, so I wont be able to do it very fast anyways. I have found one, I think i was called a red volcano. They wanted $165 for it, I don't mind paying for the colors. But with those prices I will be adding them slowly. I keep my other tank around 80, but I may add the chiller anyways. I live in west Texas and if that air conditioner goes out in the middle of summer, it could get pretty warm in here. I would feel awful if I came in and they were all dead because I didn't spend the money on a chiller.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't planning on adding very many very fast. My plan was to go more exotic colors on this tank, so I wont be able to do it very fast anyways.

A lot of times, when you buy rock nems online, you don't know the actual size. So 2-3 just incase you get some monster sized ones lol. Now, if you can see them in person, you can stock several. Some people are nice enough to put them against a ruler/egg crate. So if you know the actual sizes, you can stock way more than that. Most of mine are bought online, I only have one from the LFS. Well, there is another LFS that I have x3 from but they are almost 200-250 miles away so I wouldn't really call that a local fish store lol.

I have found one, I think i was called a red volcano. They wanted $165 for it, I don't mind paying for the colors.

Yeah, some rock nems will demand a good price. My advice is to pay more for (size + exotic colors). Colors and patterns can change as they grow from what I have seen. If you look at my photo attached above, the two green-rainbows on the top left use to be the same looking at the size of quarter but now they look very different. One retained a good balance of the bluish, red, lime green colors while the other has just very feint signs of blue and red with a predominance of green. One would easily go for $100+ but the other one wouldn't go for more than $40-$60.

My most expensive piece is the one on the bottom left, Hot Pink Frills with a Green/Yellow Disc, I bought from Frost Nguyen. It's also my favorite, in person, it looks too pink to be real. There is a CB Rainbow Infusion paly mini-colony in the center of the picture, they are already very very pink but that rock nem beats it by a long shot.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, good advice. I would like to choose them in person but its a 5 hour drive to anything (that i would trust) that carries them. Although my wife is always down for a road trip, so maybe I will do it one day. It's frustrating only having petco and petsmart for LFS. Thanks for the advice on what to look for when spending the money. I'm surprised I don't see more of these creatures in peoples tanks.

Understood on the size and how many to put in. Your right, I got the three for my other tank and one is maybe 1.5" and the other two are easily 3" when open all the way. Get a few and let them settle in for a while then decide. No hurry right? Although I will have to track down one of these guys when I'm ready. Its called a Key Lime pie, just stunning.

key-lime-pie-anemoe__18605.1512307657.jpg

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised I don't see more of these creatures in peoples tanks.

Some people only light their tanks in the 10,000 to 12,000 light color range. In this range, RFAs, appear mainly brown. It wouldn't look good in those tanks, but in the 14,000 to 20,000 range, that's where RFAs shine. At the same time, places like my LFS, only light their tanks in the 10,000 to 12,000 range and so RFAs appear brown. No one wants to pay $40 to $100 for something that is brown, especially if they don't know that RFAs look phenomenal under different lighting.

Its called a Key Lime pie, just stunning.

Yep!

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That’s good to know, I have no idea what spectrum the lights I’m getting are. I’ll see if I can get some brand and model numbers from him so I can find out. That’s great to know.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so apparently the guy decided he didn’t want to sell the Tank, I never heard from him. So plan B it is. I have a JBJ Nano cube that isn’t being used. I hadn’t thought about it because I didn’t think it would fit in the spot on my desk. I did some measuring and I think I can do it. I will have to place plywood underneath it because about 2” on the back and 4” on the side will hang off the desk. I’m not too worried about, the majority of it will be supported on the desk. I hate the hood of the tank so I’m going to run without it. Think one AI prime would be enough? The tank is 17.5 x 17.5

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand where you coming from there but I don’t think it will a problem. I have a Tank sitting there now and it hangs off the desk on plywood. 80% of the JBJ will be sitting on the desk. But I guess it couldn’t hurt to throw a 2x4 under the corner, nobody would see it.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool, that will make lighting easier. I want a lid on this one to help evaporation so that will be the last creative task.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back