Newbie questions on dragon/fantasy tank

trophyhimbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, sorry if this partial repost from my "build thread" is frowned upon... I didn't know how to best contextualize all my newbie questions for the beginner forum!

Starting equipment:
  • Aquarium: Innovative Marine Fusion Pro 2, 40L AIO
  • Heater: Helio 200W (2x 100W) PTC Heating System
  • Lights: Aqua Illumination Hydra 32HD LED
  • ATO: Tunze 3155 Osmolator and a 5 gallon bucket
  • Substrate: ~30-35lbs CaribSea Arag-Alive Live Reef Sand (Fiji Pink) and ~30-35lbs of Marco Rock
  • RODI Filter: Bulk Reef Supply 5 Stage Premium Plus 75 GPD RO/DI System
Fish Wish List - Advice is VERY welcome!! I picked these based on name, preliminary care requirements, suggested experience level, and niceness. I hope they have a good home together.
  • 1x Mandarin Dragonet (obviously)
  • 1x Helfrichi Firefish (because dragons breathe fire?)
  • 1x Brunneus Fairy Wrasse (fae fun!)
  • 1x Flameback Angelfish (more fire!)
  • 1x Flame Hawkfish (is everything fire?)
Coral Wish List - I am apparently just a sucker for marketing, so was just picking things by name, theming, and softies/LPS... Would love suggestions! I need to do more research on flow, but right now I just have the stock straight two-outputs. I was thinking of changing with flexible outputs to better get behind the rocks.
  • Zoanthus: Goblins on Fire (hilarious), Flaming Dragon, Pixie Dust, Has Fox Fairy Tales, Illuminatis
  • Mushroom: Flamethrower Yuna Mushroom
  • Clavularia: Flame Tipped Clove
  • Micromussa: Raging Unicorn Aussie (whoever named this should get a promotion), Eternal Phoenix Lord
  • Favia: Snow Dragon, Angel Eye, Pyrokinesis
  • Euphyllia: Dragon Soul Torch
  • Goniastrea: Spyro (what a throwback), Dragon Soul Prism, Spitfire
I have a few direct questions for now:
  1. Will introducing Dr. Tim's cycling kit after the tank's been running for about a week and a half with rotting fish food ruin the saltwater cycling process? There is currently no measurable amount of nitrite or nitrate.
  2. I accidentally left the carbon pack, mechanical fiber ball, granular phosphate remover, and the filter sock in while starting... should I remove these now and replace later?
  3. The aquarium location gets about an hour of direct sunlight in the summer late afternoon. Will this cause any problems I can prevent?
  4. What salt mixture do you recommend?
  5. Should I introduce copepods directly after cycling while introducing my first fish to prepare for the dragonet? I assume they feed on algae and detritus, but perhaps that is insufficient?
  6. Would a small refugium in one of the AIO back chambers do anything significant? I would say it would not even total 5% of the volume of water, but I love the idea of more biological filtration.
  7. Are there protein skimmer recommendations for this AIO setup?
  8. What should my stocking order be? I'm assuming the firefish should be first?
  9. Any fish ideas to go along with the current list or to replace some of them?
Thank you for your time, hope to chat soon!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
trophyhimbo

trophyhimbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ai suspect that the mandarin will almost certainly die, unless you are willing to wait for a very healthy population of pods.
Yeah that’s my worry as well. Current plan is to focus on the copepods and basal organisms first, then down the line get the fish hoping to build the ecosystem from the ground up

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, sorry if this partial repost from my "build thread" is frowned upon... I didn't know how to best contextualize all my newbie questions for the beginner forum!

Starting equipment:
  • Aquarium: Innovative Marine Fusion Pro 2, 40L AIO
  • Heater: Helio 200W (2x 100W) PTC Heating System
  • Lights: Aqua Illumination Hydra 32HD LED
  • ATO: Tunze 3155 Osmolator and a 5 gallon bucket
  • Substrate: ~30-35lbs CaribSea Arag-Alive Live Reef Sand (Fiji Pink) and ~30-35lbs of Marco Rock
  • RODI Filter: Bulk Reef Supply 5 Stage Premium Plus 75 GPD RO/DI System
Fish Wish List - Advice is VERY welcome!! I picked these based on name, preliminary care requirements, suggested experience level, and niceness. I hope they have a good home together.
  • 1x Mandarin Dragonet (obviously)
  • 1x Helfrichi Firefish (because dragons breathe fire?)
  • 1x Brunneus Fairy Wrasse (fae fun!)
  • 1x Flameback Angelfish (more fire!)
  • 1x Flame Hawkfish (is everything fire?)
Coral Wish List - I am apparently just a sucker for marketing, so was just picking things by name, theming, and softies/LPS... Would love suggestions! I need to do more research on flow, but right now I just have the stock straight two-outputs. I was thinking of changing with flexible outputs to better get behind the rocks.
  • Zoanthus: Goblins on Fire (hilarious), Flaming Dragon, Pixie Dust, Has Fox Fairy Tales, Illuminatis
  • Mushroom: Flamethrower Yuna Mushroom
  • Clavularia: Flame Tipped Clove
  • Micromussa: Raging Unicorn Aussie (whoever named this should get a promotion), Eternal Phoenix Lord
  • Favia: Snow Dragon, Angel Eye, Pyrokinesis
  • Euphyllia: Dragon Soul Torch
  • Goniastrea: Spyro (what a throwback), Dragon Soul Prism, Spitfire
I have a few direct questions for now:
  1. Will introducing Dr. Tim's cycling kit after the tank's been running for about a week and a half with rotting fish food ruin the saltwater cycling process? There is currently no measurable amount of nitrite or nitrate.
  2. I accidentally left the carbon pack, mechanical fiber ball, granular phosphate remover, and the filter sock in while starting... should I remove these now and replace later?
  3. The aquarium location gets about an hour of direct sunlight in the summer late afternoon. Will this cause any problems I can prevent?
  4. What salt mixture do you recommend?
  5. Should I introduce copepods directly after cycling while introducing my first fish to prepare for the dragonet? I assume they feed on algae and detritus, but perhaps that is insufficient?
  6. Would a small refugium in one of the AIO back chambers do anything significant? I would say it would not even total 5% of the volume of water, but I love the idea of more biological filtration.
  7. Are there protein skimmer recommendations for this AIO setup?
  8. What should my stocking order be? I'm assuming the firefish should be first?
  9. Any fish ideas to go along with the current list or to replace some of them?
Thank you for your time, hope to chat soon!
nice stocking list. here's my answers to your questions:
1) probably wont hurt. you seem to be aware that testing is a thing that should be done, so I'd say go for it.
2) pull out the carbon and phos remover. add those when you need them.
3) it may cause algae or cyano on the glass that regular maintanence will take care of.
4) I use reef crystals
5) add then soon as you can and feed them too. phyto, powdered foods...
6) the fuge would give your pods a safe place to live. never a bad thing with the dragonet (I had one in a 40 gallon for a year or so and had to dose pods a couple of times.)
7) not my bag, maybe someone else has ideas
8) I'd go in this order: firefish, wrasse (make sure he can't jump out), angel, hawk, dragonet. maybe the dragonet sooner if you trust the pod population.
9) nope

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back