OP
M

miloreif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping in here - fish that die within 48 hours of arrival rarely die from protozoan infection. The reason is that it takes a few days for the protozoan (ich or Velvet) to become established in your tank, so unless the fish were dying when you bought them, they are partially protected by your "clean" tank, at least for 72 hours or so. Also, true velvet kills pretty much every fish, and blue tangs are not resistant to it, so I think, if the blue tang is symptom free, something else is going on here.

Jay
Nice input! I also agree. My blue tang is doing great. I guess the mystery continues. I did find it odd for those fish to die that fast.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a dumb question but does the UV sterilizer kill the good bacteria in my filter? My HOB filter has a UV sterilizer but I was told not to turn it on bc it kills the good bacteria.
Ive heard this too and that it kills pods. Ive not seen any evidence in my tank thats whats happening, maybe others can chime in

mdrobc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping in here - fish that die within 48 hours of arrival rarely die from protozoan infection. The reason is that it takes a few days for the protozoan (ich or Velvet) to become established in your tank, so unless the fish were dying when you bought them, they are partially protected by your "clean" tank, at least for 72 hours or so. Also, true velvet kills pretty much every fish, and blue tangs are not resistant to it, so I think, if the blue tang is symptom free, something else is going on here.

Jay
Yes have dealt with Velvet myself 3 times during my 15 yrs keeping marine fish and Jay is right about it....it kills quickly often tho about 3-5 days time is what I've experienced unless fish already were sick as he says. Think of it tho as the COVID19 of reef/fish keeping. Have never seen something so deadly. One Achilles Tang with velvet I got from a local caught when I was stationed in Hawaii wiped out my whole tank in a week. Previous episode a fish (not sure which one) wiped out all my fish but a blue damsel also in a week. Fish just kept dying 1 day after another sometimes in multiples. Very bad to get into your tank and so far I've never heard of any fish being resistant just caught, moved to a treated tank in time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back