Newbie sump question/freshwater

KinggKonggWaffle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the hobby, but I'm a very competent builder/fabricator of all things, so I have a decent understanding of how everything should work.

Setup: Freshwater 150 gallon Display tank with 55 gallon sump being built.

Plan: Water dumps into left side of sump in a small chambered area, overflows into a mechanical filtration set up (either socks or sheet filter) then flows thru the bottom of the filters to the rest of sump.

Question: do I have to run actual baffles/up down baffled channels in the sump?

My plan is to just use sections of blue matala mat as filter "walls" with finer filter media sandwiched in-between.

So the sump would be (from left to right) water dumped from Display tank (eshopps overflow box), into sump chamber and then waterfalled into socks section. Then one "wall" of blue matala mat with filter floss on upflow side, 24 inch or so wide "refugium"/ biomedia area, then three more "walls" of matala mat with finer filter material sandwiched in-between, then two return pump section.

Is this a feasible idea? Or do I need actual glass/acrylic baffles once I get past the filter sock section? In theory, this would just be one big horizontal flow thru filter, and I'm assuming that's all I would need, especially since I don't see any need for variable water levels for skimmers or any other equipment.

Thanks in advanced for the help.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the hobby, but I'm a very competent builder/fabricator of all things, so I have a decent understanding of how everything should work.

Setup: Freshwater 150 gallon Display tank with 55 gallon sump being built.

Plan: Water dumps into left side of sump in a small chambered area, overflows into a mechanical filtration set up (either socks or sheet filter) then flows thru the bottom of the filters to the rest of sump.

Question: do I have to run actual baffles/up down baffled channels in the sump?

My plan is to just use sections of blue matala mat as filter "walls" with finer filter media sandwiched in-between.

So the sump would be (from left to right) water dumped from Display tank (eshopps overflow box), into sump chamber and then waterfalled into socks section. Then one "wall" of blue matala mat with filter floss on upflow side, 24 inch or so wide "refugium"/ biomedia area, then three more "walls" of matala mat with finer filter material sandwiched in-between, then two return pump section.

Is this a feasible idea? Or do I need actual glass/acrylic baffles once I get past the filter sock section? In theory, this would just be one big horizontal flow thru filter, and I'm assuming that's all I would need, especially since I don't see any need for variable water levels for skimmers or any other equipment.

Thanks in advanced for the help.
One of the major reasons, for at least one set of baffles, is a bubble trap right before the return pump. Keeps those tiny buggers from interferring with your view.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also one solid wall before the return pump is nice to make a constant water level if you ever want to add a protein skimmer

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also one solid wall before the return pump is nice to make a constant water level if you ever want to add a protein skimmer
Protein Skimmers dont work in fresh water. You need the brine for the bubble action to work.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a reef forum so you will mostly get reefing answers here lol. You may be better off switching to a planted tank forum

OP
OP
K

KinggKonggWaffle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a reef forum so you will mostly get reefing answers here lol. You may be better off switching to a planted tank forum
I didn't exactly know what section to post this question in, but from all my many hours of research, y'all reef dudes rule the sump knowledge world, so I figured it was worth a shot.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't exactly know what section to post this question in, but from all my many hours of research, y'all reef dudes rule the sump knowledge world, so I figured it was worth a shot.
If you dont want baffles..you dont technically need them. Given that you are not going to have a protein skimmer, the chance of micro bubbles is diminished with the primary source being your overflow. The only other reason I can see you would want a battle is a way of keeping your plants and their leaves from escaping into your main display. Its also a really good spot to run carbon if you ever need it. One more NICE benefit of the baffling is that it allows you to keep your fuge water level a bit higher but still give your sump more capacity incase you ever get a reverse siphon or power loss.

Given all of this...I see the value proposition of baffling in a freshwater sump BARLEY worth the effort...but I would still put them in because of the options if gives based.

OP
OP
K

KinggKonggWaffle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont want baffles..you dont technically need them. Given that you are not going to have a protein skimmer, the chance of micro bubbles is diminished with the primary source being your overflow. The only other reason I can see you would want a battle is a way of keeping your plants and their leaves from escaping into your main display. Its also a really good spot to run carbon if you ever need it. One more NICE benefit of the baffling is that it allows you to keep your fuge water level a bit higher but still give your sump more capacity incase you ever get a reverse siphon or power loss.

Given all of this...I see the value proposition of baffling in a freshwater sump BARLEY worth the effort...but I would still put them in because of the options if gives based.
I appreciate the responses and your insight.

In theory, the matala mat will keep any thing that is put in the sump, in the sump. (It's quite a weird material mat but seems like it would fit the bill).

Also I'm gonna run a dual chamber media reactor hooked to the return manifold, I was mildly worried that with such a "big" open sump that doesn't actually have a channeled water section, the flow of water over a bag of carbon/purigen would be not enough enough, so a reactor was purchased. Plus it's fun to buy new equipment.

The matala mat is currently cut to a 13 height, in a 20 inch high tank, and with the ability to stagger the height of sandwiched mats to meet a raise water level and still be filtered if need be. But I figured a 12 inch sump height would be around 30 gallons, leaving plenty of room incase of reversed siphoning/power loss situation.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the responses and your insight.

In theory, the matala mat will keep any thing that is put the sump, in the sump. (It's quite a weird material mat but seems like it would fit the bill).

Also I'm gonna run a dual chamber media reactor hooked to the return manifold, I was mildly worried that with such a "big" open sump that doesn't actually have a channeled water section, the flow of water over a bag of carbon/purigen would be not enough enough, so a reactor was purchased. Plus it's fun to buy new equipment.

The matala mat is currently cut to a 13 height, in a 20 inch high tank, and with the ability to stagger the height of sandwiched mats to raise water levels and still be filtered if need be. But I figured a 12 inch sump height would be around 30 gallons, leaving plenty of room incase of reversed siphoning/power loss situation.
Sounds like you got this figured out!! Good luck and post some pictures in your build thread when you get up and running!!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when I was freshwater'ing, I was terrified of a planted tank. One day I decided to try it because I was getting bored and wasnt sure I wanted to continue. Low and behold, my maintenance went from 10ish minute a week to less than 1 (checking automatic feeder). Plants took out ALL need for me to do any water changes and anything else. Was amazing. Unfortunately, it also accelerated my boredom. With even less to do..what was the point of the hobby. Decided I had too much time and money so switched over the reefing and took care of both issues!!

OP
OP
K

KinggKonggWaffle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when I was freshwater'ing, I was terrified of a planted tank. One day I decided to try it because I was getting bored and wasnt sure I wanted to continue. Low and behold, my maintenance went from 10ish minute a week to less than 1 (checking automatic feeder). Plants took out ALL need for me to do any water changes and anything else. Was amazing. Unfortunately, it also accelerated my boredom. With even less to do..what was the point of the hobby. Decided I had too much time and money so switched over the reefing and took care of both issues!!
There is no doubt my boredom will come in time, but for now the obsession of learning/building stuff for my new hobby is sufficient. So much to learn and read and build, it's really been fun.

This started a month ago, going down a YouTube rabbit hole. Then buying a 36 gallon bowfront for for my kids a week later. Then another 36 gallon bowfront for my girlfriend...
Then taking some measurements, gutting a weird small in-between "room" in me house, purchasing a 150 gallon tank, a 55 gallon for a sump, building aquarium stands, ordering equipment....

Shoring up the floor joists this week for the tank weight in the house, then running the plumbing and drainage, and onto putting everything in place. I knew this bug was gonna get me, I was obsessed with aquariums when I was a kid, but I didn't know it was going to bite me this hard.

No doubt that salt water is going to be next, but with the amount of hurricanes and the long power outage probabilities that hurricanes bring for where I live, salt Is going to be a hard one to go after. My brother in law lost both his big salty tanks a few months ago due to storm damage and three weeks without power.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no doubt my boredom will come in time, but for now the obsession of learning/building stuff for my new hobby is sufficient. So much to learn and read and build, it's really been fun.

This started a month ago, going down a YouTube rabbit hole. Then buying a 36 gallon bowfront for for my kids a week later. Then another 36 gallon bowfront for my girlfriend...
Then taking some measurements, gutting a weird small in-between "room" in me house, purchasing a 150 gallon tank, a 55 gallon for a sump, building aquarium stands, ordering equipment....

Shoring up the floor joists this week for the tank weight in the house, then running the plumbing and drainage, and onto putting everything in place. I knew this bug was gonna get me, I was obsessed with aquariums when I was a kid, but I didn't know it was going to bite me this hard.

No doubt that salt water is going to be next, but with the amount of hurricanes and the long power outage probabilities that hurricanes bring for where I live, salt Is going to be a hard one to go after. My brother in law lost both his big salty tanks a few months ago due to storm damage and three weeks without power.
Coolio. One minor suggestion while you are already doing all of this work...run a dedicated circuit while things are still tore up. I had to have a electrician retro fit a circuit after I was already set up and it added to the bill. Given 150 gallon, you are going to need to have a pretty decent sized heater / chiller without even contemplating going to salt. You also are going to need a battery back up so that you can have at least an air stone going into your tank during your power outages.

Anyway..sure you are going to have a great tank. Sounds exciting!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back