Newbie to saltwater

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Tank looks relatively new and perhaps started with dry rock? I'd give it time and let things progress. Are you running your light during the cycle?

welcome.gif

+1 and your BioBalls are still pretty clean and will be okay for a while.

Just looking ahead to help with a healthier system @Paso_Leo

OP
OP
Paso_Leo

Paso_Leo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much...I have to order a few things that are still in my " need to replace" list from the lightning strikes. Such as the skimmer. I also need to upgrade my RO system ( it recently froze but have been fortunate to have plenty of water stored.) ...
Maybe cleaning the bio balls will help...

Yes I have run a light during the cycle.... It isn't really a "new" tank since it has been "cycling" for over 2 years now. But I am making the tank a priority now since we installed the lightning rods and officially replaced all of our appliances. Should I not run a light?

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally if it were me at your point, I would restart everything. Shut down, clean everything in vinegar. Assess what I need to get going again. Put the rock into a bin with RODI water and no light while I collect everything. From the look of the picture you could probably use more flow in the display, a skimmer and good test kits. Perhaps TDS meter for RODI unit. I'd be happy to send you one since mine is now built in. What is the light fixture? I'd move to ATI bulbs, 3 blue plus and a coral or purple plus if it is 4 bulb. Or two and two.

When you restart, go through the cycle without the light. Ghost feed to get things moving. We're all here to help.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..............."cycling" for over 2 years now. But I am making the tank a priority now since we installed the lightning rods and officially replaced all of our appliances. Should I not run a light?

Yes, this new info changes things and if mine I'd do just what @reacclimating 2 the hobby suggested.

Sorry to read of lightning strikes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paso_Leo

Paso_Leo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like I have a lot to do.... I am picking up a new test kit today and I will add the results into this thread.
I have done a massive water change (75%) and cleaned as much as possible... I didn't want to lose the life I already have. Still holding a mini carpet and several snails and crabs.Oh and of course the starfish trash and a couple feather dusters. Most of the life came in with my rocks.... I am assuming ( will be doing a check today) that my water is ok but maybe just high nitrates.... or something since everything I do have is alive. I am using the term "cycling" loosely since I have never actually stocked the tank past what came in with my rocks.

OP
OP
Paso_Leo

Paso_Leo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so after tearing my sump apart and noticing that my powerhead was dead, I have added several layers of filters throughout the bio ball section of my sump (after cleaning all the balls). I also replaced the powerhead and now have 2 new ones, a uv sterilizer, and have tested my water.
salinity is either at 1.023 or 1.024. The line was so close I couldn't tell an exact line. Could have been in between the 2..
My test results are in the attached photo.
I added a ph booster but not quite sure what to do about the ammonia. Other than a water change.

image1-2.jpeg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R!!!
You do indeed have your work cut out for you. It will seem a bit overwhelming at first but just like lunching on an elephant, take it one bite at a time. You have found the right family to help you work your way through this. Don't start purchasing willy nilly items that may not be of a long term benefit for you. There is a vast amount of very good information already here to be had.
Share and like often.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First - welcome to R2R and saltwater!

For the ammonia, you could several decent sized water changes and add a bottle of bio-spira or similar... basically like a probiotic boost for your tank. It’s what I use in my QT tanks to avoid a cycle. I also second (or third) ditching the bio-balls for more live rock, as that will help colonize the bacteria more efficiently. And a protein skimmer will help immensely, especially when you would like to add fish.

Having a functioning RODI is essential, and I would make that your biggest priority. Without clean water, your water changes won’t be as helpful. After, when you do your water changes use a turkey baster and blast your rocks to remove as much of the built up detritus as possible.

Good luck and don’t give up, you will get there!

OP
OP
Paso_Leo

Paso_Leo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First - welcome to R2R and saltwater!

For the ammonia, you could several decent sized water changes and add a bottle of bio-spira or similar... basically like a probiotic boost for your tank. It’s what I use in my QT tanks to avoid a cycle. I also second (or third) ditching the bio-balls for more live rock, as that will help colonize the bacteria more efficiently. And a protein skimmer will help immensely, especially when you would like to add fish.

Having a functioning RODI is essential, and I would make that your biggest priority. Without clean water, your water changes won’t be as helpful. After, when you do your water changes use a turkey baster and blast your rocks to remove as much of the built up detritus as possible.

Good luck and don’t give up, you will get there!

The turkey baster is a great idea. I actually haven't considered that.... I have about 25 gallons of fresh water (not mixed) remaining but I am trying to use it for top off until my new system gets here. The RO system will be ordered next week. I did a smaller water change last night and checked my ammonia again this morning... it is much better today. I believe I am on the right track now. I will be in search of the rock so I can ditch the balls...Thank you all for everything!

Back