Newer Reefer, long time aquarist.

DLock3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I'm new to R2R but I've known about you all for a long time. I've kept fish for quite some time now. A large portion of that time I've kept and bred Discus. I got out of Discus a few years ago and went simple with an African tank. After that, I decided to set up a reef tank so I used the standard 75G. As we all know, you always want bigger so about 2 - 3 years ago I upgraded to a Planet Aquarium rimless 180G. After some initial success in my 180G, I've been struggling quite a bit lately keeping new fish alive. I've kept a pretty close eye on my water parameters and with the exception of a few small nitrate fluctuations, there haven't been any significant pH swings, nitrite, or ammonia readings. All of my corals are flourishing which makes me think it's a pathogen issue. I do have four fish that have made it through several die-offs. They consist of a purple tang, small to medium niger, a radiance wrasse, and yellow wrasse. I'll likely do a post in a more appropriate location of the forum when I have some additional time.

I've been thinking about taking out the 4 remaining fish and throwing them into a QT tank for 8 - 10 weeks so that the 180G can go fishless. Has anyone seen success with this sort of thing in the past in ridding a tank of pathogens? Has anyone else had frequent and consistent die-offs even with parameters testing out fine? I just bout a Neptune Apex and will likely install it this weekend to have another data point on pH and temperature.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! I have always QT’d my fish, so I haven’t had to go down that road yet, but I do know several have and had success, the longer you can keep your DT fallow the better. As far as I know it only works on Ick and Brook.

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! I’m sure others will chime in soon with responses to your questions. Good luck getting your tank back on track!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and your new reefing family. Check out the fish disease discussion forum. There are numerous stickies there discussing QT protocols and treatment of invested tanks.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EAC03844-BC15-48BF-B37E-AC0A1ECBF625.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Glad you joined us !

welcome35.jpg

OP
OP
DLock3d

DLock3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! I have always QT’d my fish, so I haven’t had to go down that road yet, but I do know several have and had success, the longer you can keep your DT fallow the better. As far as I know it only works on Ick and Brook.

Thanks, Bill, I just got done going through your 120 build thread. The patience and dedication you show to doing things right the first time are something I personally continue trying to improve on. You're also a great example of how newer reefers should break into the hobby. Do you have a more updated photo of your tank? I'd also love to see how you organized your Neptune Apex as I've recently bought one myself and will likely be setting it up this weekend.

OP
OP
DLock3d

DLock3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and your new reefing family. Check out the fish disease discussion forum. There are numerous stickies there discussing QT protocols and treatment of invested tanks.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction dbl, I've found some useful articles there.

Thank you to everyone else who has welcomed me and will post after this welcoming me. I'm looking forward to soaking up the knowledge you all have gained through your reefing careers.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Bill, I just got done going through your 120 build thread. The patience and dedication you show to doing things right the first time are something I personally continue trying to improve on. You're also a great example of how newer reefers should break into the hobby. Do you have a more updated photo of your tank? I'd also love to see how you organized your Neptune Apex as I've recently bought one myself and will likely be setting it up this weekend.
Lol, I have been slipping a little on updating my build thread, I haven’t but I need to, since the last photo I have put a lot of sps frags in it. Trust me when I say do better than myself in the patience category. Good luck with the build.

At work right now, but when I get a chance I will take a picture of my apex cabinet, but I will be changing it up again to add a few more things.

Thank you for the compliments on my build, it is slowly coming together.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back