Next big thing

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the next big thing for reefing? Something that may not yet be possible or something coming up, let’s hear it!

I would like for the hobby to somehow learn to use genetics in zooxanth to make a coral any color, think of yellow Xenia , pink GSP, black and white bubble tips ect.. it’s happend in freshwater with glofish and somewhat with clownfish but how would we translate it to coral..

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glowing Xenia would be cool!
I’m waiting for glofish mollies, having bioluminescent saltwater fish that aren’t deep sea critters would be pretty cool.
Also, imagine if nitrifying bacteria could be engineered to glow…that would look amazing!
Doubt we’ll be getting that any time soon though…

I think more than anything, the big things will be more and more captive fish, hopefully reducing prices and allowing for easier care of difficult guys like copperbands and maybe even moorish idols.

OP
OP
dvgyfresh

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glowing Xenia would be cool!
I’m waiting for glofish mollies, having bioluminescent saltwater fish that aren’t deep sea critters would be pretty cool.
Also, imagine if nitrifying bacteria could be engineered to glow…that would look amazing!
Doubt we’ll be getting that any time soon though…

I think more than anything, the big things will be more and more captive fish, hopefully reducing prices and allowing for easier care of difficult guys like copperbands and maybe even moorish idols.
I like this! I would definitely like for everything to be captive bred, usually healthier and used to the aquarium life style.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this! I would definitely like for everything to be captive bred, usually healthier and used to the aquarium life style.
Agreed, as long as it doesn’t get to the point it is for many freshwater fish, where some are so inbred that they’ve become weaker than their wild counterparts. So with captive fish it would definitely be necessary to always introduce some wild genes to keep the bloodlines fresh.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the next big thing for reefing? Something that may not yet be possible or something coming up, let’s hear it!

I would like for the hobby to somehow learn to use genetics in zooxanth to make a coral any color, think of yellow Xenia , pink GSP, black and white bubble tips ect.. it’s happend in freshwater with glofish and somewhat with clownfish but how would we translate it to coral..

Breakthroughs in nutrition/feeding for "pick eaters". Mainly species that eat coral polyps, sponges, etc. exclusively.

OP
OP
dvgyfresh

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, as long as it doesn’t get to the point it is for many freshwater fish, where some are so inbred that they’ve become weaker than their wild counterparts. So with captive fish it would definitely be necessary to always introduce some wild genes to keep the bloodlines fresh.
We started with the wolf and look how many types of dogs there are now! Same with goldfish

Back