Next fish for the tank

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, now that I finally have a tank over 100 Gallons, I can actually get "bigger" fish that require more room. I need some advice on future stocking choices.

Currently I have:
Melanurus Wrasse
Orange Spotted Goby
Fire Fish
Dottyback
Yellow Tang (recently added)
Valentini Puffer
Mandarin Dragonet

I did want a hawk-fish but I was told it may be an issue with my Goby and Dottyback.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, now that I finally have a tank over 100 Gallons, I can actually get "bigger" fish that require more room. I need some advice on future stocking choices.

Currently I have:
Melanurus Wrasse
Orange Spotted Goby
Fire Fish
Dottyback
Valentini Puffer
Mandarin Dragonet

I did want a hawk-fish but I was told it may be an issue with my Goby and Dottyback.
Longnose hawkfish are a fun one, and honestly was one of my very first fish in a FOWLR tank I had as a kid, and it was a model citizen.

One of my favorite fish, @BighohoReef can attest he currently has one as well!

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Currently I have:
Melanurus Wrasse
Orange Spotted Goby
Fire Fish
Dottyback
Valentini Puffer
Mandarin Dragonet

I do have a longnose in the tank. Since you would be adding the fish to an established I would float the hawk in the tank for a few hours, let the fish get acquainted with one another (I still recommend QT prior to adding to a DT). The only time I've seen aggression from the hawk is when we added the leopard wrasse, he wasn't a fan ab nipped at it as soon as we added it to the tank (even with the float) in my opinion our wrasse survived by burying itself in the sand, that was on day one of the add, after the initial add I haven't seen anything else. With that said I wouldn't worry too much about fish that can bury themselves, goby's and wrasses will be fine with the hawkfish. I haven't owned a dottyback so unfortunately I'm not familiar with the behavior together. I will say that our hawkfish is a great tank make, he isn't overly aggressive and it's great fish with lots of personality. If you watch the tank live I do when new things are added I think you'll be fine.

My fish list:
Valentini puffer
Kole Tang
Longnose Hawkfish
5 Lighting Chromis
Leopard Wrasse
Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse
Watchmen Goby
Had a Lawnmower blenny (sadly passed away last week).

*My disclaimer every fish/coral can react differently depending on the tank, params, etc, I'm happy to help if you have specific questions about the hawkfish.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back