Next fish?

RazorJaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Today I'm moving my first fish (2 clowns, 2 banggai cardinals) from quarantine to my 110 gallon display. Need help figuring out which fish to buy next. Was thinking a firefish or two, 6 line wrasse, maybe a sailfin tang and I'd like an algae eating fish. My goal is hardy, beginner, utilitarian, non-aggressive fish. In other words easy. Are these good fish for that goal? Any suggestions on which fish to get for the algae eater? I don't really like foxface fish. And looking for something under $100.

Also related question, how do you quarantine a sand sifting goby in a quarantine tank that is bare bottom (no sand). And when is a good time to introduce one of these?

Thanks

BobL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a tang. A Tomini tang would also fit your budget

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first congratulate you for the slow start, and QT process you have followed. - there should be a badge for that

Ditto on the bristle tooth tang choice - lots of subtle and attractive colors in there and great algae grazers. thank that size you might try 2 small ones so they socialize well - I added two diffenct species same time and it worked.

also and lawnmower/starry type blenny

And I always think a small Royal Gramma is a good idea, though not a utility fish it is a splash of mid water color

the 6 line wrasse is a crap shoot. I had one early I tore an aquascape apart for to remove the aggression and in a larger tank I added another smaller as a 3rd in hierarchy wrasse and it is model - try a small melanurus perhaps

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True algae-eating fish are hard to find, as they usually end up preferring anything other than what you got them for. I finally got a lawnmower blenny again after a year of my tank maturing - and he's actually performing his job duty. Your best algae-eating fish is probably an urchin.

I like my sixline wrasse, but opinions are mixed so I'll leave it at that. The melanarus and yellow coris wrasse are other good utilitarian fish choices.

I like my sailfin tang as he seems to be smarter than your average tang.

giorgiosreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to second Tomini tang and/or yellow coris wrasse. Both are utilitarian, will fit your budget, and are hardy, especially with the great care you are taking to QT your fish. Good to see new reefers quarantining.

I would be careful with medications on the wrasse. They can be particularly sensitive to things like Prazipro and copper.

You may also be able to find someone selling a yellow tang for $100 or less, but might be hard given the ban on Hawaiian collection.

There are countless stories of six line wrasses becoming too aggressive as they get older. If you really want one, you could add some other fish first and add the six line last. This could help stem the aggression. :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back