Next Kessil A360 Model Speculation

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kessil A360x has been out for approximately three years now, so when do you think we can expect the next rendition of the A360 line? And will it have built in Bluetooth control?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not gonna be the A360, it’ll be the B360, I have no idea and don’t even use these lights lol

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kessil A360x has been out for approximately three years now, so when do you think we can expect the next rendition of the A360 line? And will it have built in Bluetooth control?
My vote is for @Kessil to make a complete modular hybrid setup. Kessil branded led bars in the standard lengths, pucks like the 360/500, integrated wiring and connectors for a clean and uncluttered install, and a sleek mounting system with optional valance to reduce spill. In my opinion, they are behind the ball here and need to get to it. They wouldn’t need to implement the same optics in the bar as the pucks, a full glow tube instead of a multitude of diodes would be killer!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, they are behind the ball here and need to get to it
That is what is so great about opinions.
In my opinion, @Kessil has always been a leader in lighting and is excellent at what they do. They lead the pack. DiCon Fiberoptics sets the bar. Other companies purchase off the shelf components and wrap them in marketing.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what is so great about opinions.
In my opinion, @Kessil has always been a leader in lighting and is excellent at what they do. They lead the pack. DiCon Fiberoptics sets the bar. Other companies purchase off the shelf components and wrap them in marketing.
Not what I meant. I love Kessil and have had Ap700s, 160s, and now 500s. What I was saying is that they are behind on offering a hybrid with a much better bar than the standard off the shelf multiple diode units. A lot of us Kessil fans know the downside to point source lighting and shading, and have t5 or led bar hybrids. That’s why I said Kessil should come out with their own, better version. I don’t know where you got that I was dissing @Kessil as that is not what I said.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think you were dissing Kessil. I don't think that suggesting that they conform to what others do is prudent. That's all. They do their thing and do it well. They are well respected in every field that they participate in. They know what they are doing. If they did offer some kind of light bar, I would buy one of theirs before I purchased one of the other brands without hesitation because I know that I would get a high quality product.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think you were dissing Kessil. I don't think that suggesting that they conform to what others do is prudent. That's all. They do their thing and do it well. They are well respected in every field that they participate in. They know what they are doing. If they did offer some kind of light bar, I would buy one of theirs before I purchased one of the other brands without hesitation because I know that I would get a high quality product.
Not suggesting they conform to others as much as filling a gap. I don’t think Ecotech, or Ai makes a hybrid system. If you buy an orphek panel, your probably not going to add orphek bars. If you buy Red Sea lights can you get Red Sea Bars on a Red Sea mounting system? Kessils can be run stand alone, but they are vastly improved with supplemental lighting. I don’t see how suggesting they make an complete modular system is out of line. I love kessils but they are losing sales to the panel style leds that do not need to be supplemented to reduce shadows. The shimmer is amazeballs. T5s will die off eventually, and the multi diode bars are replacing them. I would trust Kessil if they came up with a new technology for supplemental lighting and would love a complete system. But I get it, we’ll just stick to T5s and cheap led bars all piecemeal’d together with a lot of cords in an awkward looking fixture.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the next lamp in A360 line, I’d like to see built in Bluetooth (forget wireless dongles), a little more violet, reduced wattage, and a slightly narrower form.
The Bluetooth/Wi-Fi thing is for sure needed. They say it was to keep cost down for those running multiple lamps, but really…..how much does a Bluetooth/Wi-Fi radio actually cost? They put them in everything now, even the cheapest household smart bulbs have them.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not suggesting they conform to others as much as filling a gap. I don’t think Ecotech, or Ai makes a hybrid system. If you buy an orphek panel, your probably not going to add orphek bars. If you buy Red Sea lights can you get Red Sea Bars on a Red Sea mounting system? Kessils can be run stand alone, but they are vastly improved with supplemental lighting. I don’t see how suggesting they make an complete modular system is out of line. I love kessils but they are losing sales to the panel style leds that do not need to be supplemented to reduce shadows. The shimmer is amazeballs. T5s will die off eventually, and the multi diode bars are replacing them. I would trust Kessil if they came up with a new technology for supplemental lighting and would love a complete system. But I get it, we’ll just stick to T5s and cheap led bars all piecemeal’d together with a lot of cords in an awkward looking fixture.
I appreciate the shadows and contrast in my reef. It provides a wonderful depth and lifeness to my tank. I have somewhere to put my low light corals and my high light corals. I could probably throw a sun coral in there under a ledge. I do not think that is a bad thing. I agree that nothing piecemealed together looks great or like it was meant to go together. The reefbrite mounts are probably the best option right now to kind of look good.
#ShadowsForReefTanks
#BlanketsAreBad

OP
OP
WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bluetooth/Wi-Fi thing is for sure needed. They say it was to keep cost down for those running multiple lamps, but really…..how much does a Bluetooth/Wi-Fi radio actually cost? They put them in everything now, even the cheapest household smart bulbs have them.
I recently put an g6 xr15 blue over my 25 nano, and it’s just too much. Too much light, too much spread, but I can’t talk myself into a A360x since they’ve been out 3 years and are lacking in the BT dept. A Kessil with the 37deg lense mounted 20 inches above would be amazing.

OP
OP
WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the shadows and contrast in my reef. It provides a wonderful depth and lifeness to my tank. I have somewhere to put my low light corals and my high light corals. I could probably throw a sun coral in there under a ledge. I do not think that is a bad thing. I agree that nothing piecemealed together looks great or like it was meant to go together. The reefbrite mounts are probably the best option right now to kind of look good.
#ShadowsForReefTanks
#BlanketsAreBad
I agree. I’m not trying to get a tan while lying on my couch.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the logic was that you could link all of your lights together with one wifi module. I don't get it. The module is ugly and ruins the aesthetics of the fixture. I'll be that most people only have one of these so that argument doesn't make much sense.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#ShadowsForReefTanks
#BlanketsAreBad
I agree, the depth and contrast is killer. Depending on your setup, when colonies get large, having areas sps branches without color from lack of light can be pretty ugly. Every tank and individual is different. Options to suit everyone’s taste is great. I hear ya on the reefbrites. I’m waiting for someone to come up with one where you can adjust color and intensity a bit more. As it stands you have to chose between models with set spectrums. Another plus for having it all in one app or controller. That’s my only gripe with Kessils is that some sps really pop in the super deep blue lighting that they just don’t have. I love the added uv channels now. I love the halide look I can get for non-fluorescent pink and blue corals. I would like deeper blues….another plus for supplemental.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently put an g6 xr15 blue over my 25 nano, and it’s just too much. Too much light, too much spread, but I can’t talk myself into a A360x since they’ve been out 3 years and are lacking in the BT dept. A Kessil with the 37deg lense mounted 20 inches above would be amazing.
Believe me if I was happy with the color and coverage I would have mounted my 500’s on the ceiling! That look is amazingly clean and unobtrusive.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I’m not trying to get a tan while lying on my couch.
+1 for that. I wish these manufactures would take that into consideration when designing fixtures. Recessed optics, shrouds and valances that were seamlessly integrated would be great. There are 3d printed ones, but they just don’t look great.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the logic was that you could link all of your lights together with one wifi module. I don't get it. The module is ugly and ruins the aesthetics of the fixture. I'll be that most people only have one of these so that argument doesn't make much sense.
Plus, lights out, the Wi-Fi led lights up my ceiling. It’s not bright, but it’s a weird orange glow. I had to put black tape over it. Having a rats nest of Klink cables doesn’t look fantastic either. No matter how you bundle them, they’re just ugly. Custom length cables would help with that……or….just sayin’ Bluetooth/Wi-Fi connectivity!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus, lights out, the Wi-Fi led lights up my ceiling. It’s not bright, but it’s a weird orange glow. I had to put black tape over it. Having a rats nest of Klink cables doesn’t look fantastic either. No matter how you bundle them, they’re just ugly. Custom length cables would help with that……or….just sayin’ Bluetooth/Wi-Fi connectivity!
You're not wrong.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of the next 360 rendition I would personally like for an updated a160 similar to the 360x. The lower price point would be perfect to cover major shadowing spots where par increases arent necessary while maintaining that stunning shimmer.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back