Next step equipment recommendations and why

Reefmonsters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Monday morning guys.

I am looking for recommendations for my next purchase, I am tired of thinking about it so figured I would ask you all. The tank has been running 3 months and all inhabitants are doing well. I tend to feed heavy and my Roller Filter and Skimmer definitely put in the work to accommodate. Of course with new tank I am starting to get more algae and am trying to combat that. All parameters look good except low PH which hangs around 7.7-7.9. I am topping of with Lime water to help that situation at the moment. So what would be your next equipment purchase and why/experience? UV sterilizer, Calcium reactor, Algae Scrubber, or any other recommendations. One of my struggles is stand space with the 4 ft tank

My current setup is:

Standard 120 4x2x2
Bashsea 36 Sump
2 Kessil A360
MP 40 for flow
Bubble Magus Curve 7 Skimmer
Aquamax AF-1 Roller Filter
Tunze ATO
Apex EL Controller
BRS Carbon/GFO Reactor (Currently not in use)

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the 3 devices you are thinking about, I would go with the UV sterilizer. I think it will likely be a while before you need the calcium reactor or algae scrubber. Yoy probably won't need the calcium boost until you have some good coral growth and you won't need the algae scrubber until you have excess nitrates in the display tank that you want to remove.
The UV sterlizer will help keep bacteria and algae in the water column in check for clear water and may help control some parasites should you have a problem develop.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a nice build you have, do you have only the 1 MP40? I would recommend looking at adding another as flow I find to be very important for coral health and keeping the tank clean.

Of the items you mention +1 on the UV

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
UV unit

scrubber

controller

lighting if you’re less than pleased

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your next step is to slow the heck down and master your husbandry skills.

Sorry I'm blunt

A 3mos old tank is an extremely infant tank.

You don't go planning on buying a basketball hoop for the driveway when your infant son is 6weeks old.

Just sayin...

OP
OP
R

Reefmonsters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice , that's where i was headed was a UV, just wanted to make sure I am thinking correctly. I have a pretty open NSA Aquascape and with the MP 40 on the end of the tank I think it has pretty good flow, want to keep some LPS so my placement will be SPS on the end where the 40 is and LPS on the other where they are not getting hammered. It is a new tank and in its infancy but I think I am going slow enough, this is not my first tank but I still look for all the advice I can get. Thanks guys

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back