Next step up from an aquatic life T5?

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 65 gallon tank with an aquatic life 4 bulb fixture. I’m running all 4 ATI lights but can’t really think of which ones at the moment.. I purchased it from a lfs that took advantage of me back when I was setting up my tank. It’s not that it’s a bad light, just thinking with some more $$ invested I could upgrade to something better. I’m in the process of adding a sump and other types of features so thinking a new light could be beneficial. So many options and no clue where to start.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd always done LEDs until my current tank which is a T5/LED hybrid. Doubtful I'll ever go back. Getting ready to start a new build and planning to try this out: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...ure-nearly-universal-byo-aquatic-life.329248/
I actually saw this and was a little confused exactly what it was.. is it just a mount to add your own lights? Or..? Like if I am following I think I could add my 4 current lights and then go buy a set of LEDs of some sort and put them in the middle? What’s some recommended LEDs?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can transfer your current bulbs into it and find some inexpensive LEDs like a couple of AI Primes. Assuming your current fixture is the same size that these are available in.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can transfer your current bulbs into it and find some inexpensive LEDs like a couple of AI Primes. Assuming your current fixture is the same size that these are available in.
If you were to purchase new leds along with the fixture, which route would you go? Also would two of them be an overkill or perfect for my tank? I’m currently thinking the new Radions but have to do more research if it’s worth quite the upgrade

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming your tank is 4ft. A 48" fixture with two LEDs would probably be more than enough. I've actually got two of the XR15 Gen 4 Pro's. My tank will be 5ft so I plan to see what the light spread will be like with just the two Radions and determine whether I need a 3rd. I would think the T5s with the Primes would be more than enough if you're trying to watch your budget.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming your tank is 4ft. A 48" fixture with two LEDs would probably be more than enough. I've actually got two of the XR15 Gen 4 Pro's. My tank will be 5ft so I plan to see what the light spread will be like with just the two Radions and determine whether I need a 3rd. I would think the T5s with the Primes would be more than enough if you're trying to watch your budget.
Actually my tank is only 3ft... unless my math is wrong. Is one possible or two necessary?

62CF0BA0-F171-475B-984B-A3AE57242067.png

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current tank is 32" and I've got a 2ft Giesemann Aurora on it. 4 T5 bulbs and just one LED cluster and it covers pretty well. With this new hybid fixture you'll be able to test one LED and see how it works and if needed you can just add a 2nd.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 65 gallon tank with an aquatic life 4 bulb fixture. I’m running all 4 ATI lights but can’t really think of which ones at the moment.. I purchased it from a lfs that took advantage of me back when I was setting up my tank. It’s not that it’s a bad light, just thinking with some more $$ invested I could upgrade to something better. I’m in the process of adding a sump and other types of features so thinking a new light could be beneficial. So many options and no clue where to start.

Upgrading is fun and you might want a more expensive light – all good.

But...

More money ≠ better light

That's not really a valid reason to upgrade....all we could recommend are more expensive fixtures. But we can't have a clue if you'd like what they do or not. :)

Can you elaborate on why it's "not that bad a light" but yet you're thinking of switching?

What's it doing wrong?
What's it doing right?
Do you at least like the look of the tank?
Are you looking for something more dynamic or dramatic?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading is fun and you might want a more expensive light – all good.

But...

More money ≠ better light

That's not really a valid reason to upgrade....all we could recommend are more expensive fixtures. But we can't have a clue if you'd like what they do or not. :)

Can you elaborate on why it's "not that bad a light" but yet you're thinking of switching?

What's it doing wrong?
What's it doing right?
Do you at least like the look of the tank?
Are you looking for something more dynamic or dramatic?

Honestly buddy I completely agree, yet I sometimes get carried away when it comes to upgrading and trying to buy the best of everything right away. Regarding my current light, its adequate, really bulky and gets rather warm < not that thats really a problem however Its just a huge eye sore over my tank. as I said it earlier that after I learned more bout lights and whatnot I kinda got the feeling that my lfs tried to offload a newcomer with a light that is alright and not as best as it can be.

At this point I've had my tank going for at-least about 2-3 years and have seen about an inch or two of growth.. like its kinda a joke that I got plugs last year and they are just about reaching the actual plug size. I see more growth on some peoples pictures in a few months than Ive had in the whole lives of the frags.. I know theres a lot of variables when it comes down to tank health and growth and all that fun stuff yet I just am not seeing the results from my tank I would like.. I upgraded to nicer T5s, being ATI's a few months ago and my corals got a little better but still not nearly as much POP as I see from pictures of others and whatnot.

I can be jumping too far into this right off the bat, but I just am basically doing a huge makeover of everything from a new stand, to adding a sump I just purchased, to planning a manifold, getting new pumps... basically I was just like hey I just ordered new corals why not look into new light fixtures and whatnot. came across the new aquatic life holding thing and whatnot so I figured I could add my t5s to that and plan to get a new LED possibly.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno if you can see post signatures the way you browse (and most are easy to tune out anyway) but if you ever noticed mine, it says:

"Comparison is the thief of all happiness."
– Theodore Roosevelt speaking on purchase of his new LED system.

The quote and source are real!

Not sure he ever had a tank though...I took him way out of context. :p

The sentiment is REALLY REALLY real....you can stop looking around at other tanks so much for validation about now. If your corals are growing and happy, they just are. :) :) Pop is a crap concept and photographs are impossible to compare with your real tank that you see in real time every day. Just let that go.

Sounds like you're also planning to add a lot of complexity to your tank. Never a good idea without a solid need for it, so if you think there's any more room for planning or any of that stuff is being added "just in case"... Hopefully you get my gist. :)

I would stay on the upgrade path since it does sound like a concerted effort. :) :)

But I would do some more thinking too! Make sure you're applying upgrade money in a way that will really address what you're trying to address.

What have you done to assess your current nutrient situation?

What have you done to assess your current lighting system?

What have you done to assess your current flow situation?

All of these things can play a pretty major role in coral growth and color.

Nutrients - It's very common for things to get out of balance when using "current methods" which are more or less based around starving a tank from Day 1, but accidental things can happen as well to throw things off.

Lights - Almost nobody uses a basic $15 light meter – how much light are you even putting into the tank right now?

Flow - Flow can be legitimately hard to do and to assess, so it's usually worth a re-think.​

You may have given some or all of these things consideration already.....just saying just in case. ;)

Let us know about how things are in these three areas and it'll actually help inform the best way to proceed on the lights.

Might turn out that you're more due for a flow upgrade than a light upgrade! Or maybe it really is the lights. Or you may find out that both are in need!!! :eek::D

Honestly it's hard to imagine the lights are to blame....of course (like anything) they can be done wrong, but a 4-bulb T5 system is a pretty standard unit of reef lighting. So I'm curious if we'll uncover something peculiar there, or something in another area to fix. I like troublshooting!!! ;Shifty;Bookworm;Writing:D

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno if you can see post signatures the way you browse (and most are easy to tune out anyway) but if you ever noticed mine, it says:

"Comparison is the thief of all happiness."
– Theodore Roosevelt speaking on purchase of his new LED system.

The quote and source are real!

Not sure he ever had a tank though...I took him way out of context. :p

The sentiment is REALLY REALLY real....you can stop looking around at other tanks so much for validation about now. If your corals are growing and happy, they just are. :) :) Pop is a ******** concept and photographs are impossible to compare with your real tank that you see in real time every day. Just let that go.

Sounds like you're also planning to add a lot of complexity to your tank. Never a good idea without a solid need for it, so if you think there's any more room for planning or any of that stuff is being added "just in case"... Hopefully you get my gist. :)

I would stay on the upgrade path since it does sound like a concerted effort. :) :)

But I would do some more thinking too! Make sure you're applying upgrade money in a way that will really address what you're trying to address.

What have you done to assess your current nutrient situation?

What have you done to assess your current lighting system?

What have you done to assess your current flow situation?

All of these things can play a pretty major role in coral growth and color.

Nutrients - It's very common for things to get out of balance when using "current methods" which are more or less based around starving a tank from Day 1, but accidental things can happen as well to throw things off.

Lights - Almost nobody uses a basic $15 light meter – how much light are you even putting into the tank right now?

Flow - Flow can be legitimately hard to do and to assess, so it's usually worth a re-think.​

You may have given some or all of these things consideration already.....just saying just in case. ;)

Let us know about how things are in these three areas and it'll actually help inform the best way to proceed on the lights.

Might turn out that you're more due for a flow upgrade than a light upgrade! Or maybe it really is the lights. Or you may find out that both are in need!!! :eek::D

Honestly it's hard to imagine the lights are to blame....of course (like anything) they can be done wrong, but a 4-bulb T5 system is a pretty standard unit of reef lighting. So I'm curious if we'll uncover something peculiar there, or something in another area to fix. I like troublshooting!!! ;Shifty;Bookworm;Writing:D

I appreciate you taking the time to write out your response. I am currently in the process of basically tackling most of the factors you mentioned. In another thread of mine; I recently have started to invest a lot more time, effort and mostly $$ to the hobby. I finally changed my tank to a stand I built about 8 months ago, and am in the process of coming up with some sort of sump system. I purchased a marine depot elite 36 inch sump and a varios 6 return pump and currently am planning the manifold / plumbing. Lights were more of a luxury at this point considering I’ve already invested quite a bit along with having a protein skimmer being built for me in the upcoming weeks.

Nutrients with the tank could possibly be a problem but I try to stay on top of 20 gallon water changes every few weeks ( I know I know not really too ideal) I have a minimal bio-load along with a hob protein skimmer that is at most adequate. I am hoping the sump + manifold ( carbon / gfo ) start to improve some other issues and my tank starts to get clearer (lots of particulate on the surface and water column). Tons of detritus in my tank and it seems it never goes anywhere except back on my rocks.

For flow, I have a mp40 and my tank isn’t very large at all for it... I also have a koralia 850 on the other side of my tank which blows towards the surface for the most part for agitation. (Can’t stand the pump it’s the noisiest piece of equipment in my whole tank) I also was in the market for a new pump. Was thinking maybe another mp40 but it would be kinda excessive and only be cool if I go the reeflink / all Ecotech line despite not doing the m/l1.

All in all, I’m just trying to do as much possible to actually start to see some real improvement and I understand I won’t really be able to pinpoint what will be causing what to happen. I just want to have a better tank rather than a pile of rocks with some frags and 2 little clown fish.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back