next tank build...What should I be looking at?

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 36x72 space that I'd like to place a setup. I'd like to house a tang, puffer, angel and trigger if possible but that depends on the tank size obviously. This could be fish only since they are more important for this tank. would a 5' be OK with 6" on both sides? was thinking access room on sides. And would a peninsula be better here? I like the Red Sea reefers a lot but that's a lot of money and not completely fond of their cabinets modern look. Would like a complete set up with what should be in there or at least a list. Like bioreactor? I'm running a biocube32 right now and removed the protein skimmer since it seemed I was emptying it 3 times every day of foam and could not dial it in. plus didn't seem to make a difference either. The UV sterilizer I still haven't connected. the ceiling is 18' above this 3 foot area where a balcony is crosses.

would love peoples input on what tank setup complete so I can price pieces out to try and reduce cost without buying used. I was hoping for under $5k since fish and the decor needs $ too.

Please excuse the mess but I think a tank would looked better there than kids toys ;-)

Thanks,
Paul

1689004655816.png

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6" on each side should be enough. As long as you can reach your hand down the sides for maintenance, etc.
thoughts on other tanks? I really like the reefer but not at the price point. Not sure how to piece something else together with the plumbing part for the all in ones.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thoughts on other tanks? I really like the reefer but not at the price point. Not sure how to piece something else together with the plumbing part for the all in ones.
With the location you have picked out I wouldn't go with an AIO. The space constraints in that spot will make any kind of cleaning and maintenance with a AIO a daunting prospect.

I wouldn't splurge for a premium on a peninsula tank as you won't really get the benefit. I have a Red Sea 750XXL v3 G1 and I'm really happy with it (queue Red Sea haters in 3... 2... 1...)

There are a lot of great features with Red Sea tanks, so if you do decide on Red Sea get a new G2+ model. I'd also get the new Red Sea DC pump, DC skimmer, ReefWave 25 (x2), ReefDose (4-head) and ReefMat 500. Then you can run everything through the ReefBeat app and won't need another controller. The pump, skimmer, gyres and fleece roller are really the only key components you need.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll look these items up but I have no idea how to set up a whole system from scratch. that's why I was considering AIO. I have already braced the floor underneath for the extra weight. I don't want things hanging off the glass like the old school stuff ;-)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 36x72 space that I'd like to place a setup. I'd like to house a tang, puffer, angel and trigger if possible but that depends on the tank size obviously. This could be fish only since they are more important for this tank. would a 5' be OK with 6" on both sides? was thinking access room on sides. And would a peninsula be better here? I like the Red Sea reefers a lot but that's a lot of money and not completely fond of their cabinets modern look. Would like a complete set up with what should be in there or at least a list. Like bioreactor? I'm running a biocube32 right now and removed the protein skimmer since it seemed I was emptying it 3 times every day of foam and could not dial it in. plus didn't seem to make a difference either. The UV sterilizer I still haven't connected. the ceiling is 18' above this 3 foot area where a balcony is crosses.

would love peoples input on what tank setup complete so I can price pieces out to try and reduce cost without buying used. I was hoping for under $5k since fish and the decor needs $ too.

Please excuse the mess but I think a tank would looked better there than kids toys ;-)

Thanks,
Paul

1689004655816.png
So if you read on here there are a ton of issues with red sea seam breaks. I have a red sea max 260 and an unknown brand 125. I really like the glass way better on my 125 and its a solid tank. My red sea on the other hand always has a foggy look to it even with me cleaning it (scraping and cleaning the outside). I recommend not looking at red sea, if I had to do over I would look for a different brand of tank

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the location you have picked out I wouldn't go with an AIO. The space constraints in that spot will make any kind of cleaning and maintenance with a AIO a daunting prospect.

I wouldn't splurge for a premium on a peninsula tank as you won't really get the benefit. I have a Red Sea 750XXL v3 G1 and I'm really happy with it (queue Red Sea haters in 3... 2... 1...)

There are a lot of great features with Red Sea tanks, so if you do decide on Red Sea get a new G2+ model. I'd also get the new Red Sea DC pump, DC skimmer, ReefWave 25 (x2), ReefDose (4-head) and ReefMat 500. Then you can run everything through the ReefBeat app and won't need another controller. The pump, skimmer, gyres and fleece roller are really the only key components you need.
is this what we are talking about except adding the reef dose 4? https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reefer-max-525-g2-system-red-sea.html

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you read on here there are a ton of issues with red sea seam breaks. I have a red sea max 260 and an unknown brand 125. I really like the glass way better on my 125 and its a solid tank. My red sea on the other hand always has a foggy look to it even with me cleaning it (scraping and cleaning the outside). I recommend not looking at red sea, if I had to do over I would look for a different brand of tank
I've been looking into IM too but not sure which way to go. Building from scratch is not something I'm up to. Was thinking to seek out a LFS to set it up if that's the way to go and I'd keep it running. Was trying to do this for under $5k but doesn't seem possible without used stuff.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lol red sea haters!! Ive got a max 260 and I like it aside from the glass (and nervous about the seam breaks I keep seeing!). Does your glass have a fog to it all the time? Ive got a beautiful reef and corals and stuff but the glass just isnt clear like my 125 (unknown brand). Does yours do this?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking into IM too but not sure which way to go. Building from scratch is not something I'm up to. Was thinking to seek out a LFS to set it up if that's the way to go and I'd keep it running. Was trying to do this for under $5k but doesn't seem possible without used stuff.
Have you tried facebook marketplace near you? Theres always people trying to get out of the hobby and selling complete set ups. I was the same way, so I went red sea. But my 125 I found (over a 10,000 dollar set up) was being sold for 2500. Way less than my red sea tank. Maybe look there?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol red sea haters!! Ive got a max 260 and I like it aside from the glass (and nervous about the seam breaks I keep seeing!). Does your glass have a fog to it all the time? Ive got a beautiful reef and corals and stuff but the glass just isnt clear like my 125 (unknown brand). Does yours do this?
I'm referring to the people that hate on Red Sea just to dog pile on something (even though they've never owned one). Nope, my glass is crystal sparkly clear. I also run a UV and ozone so the water is more or less pristine.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM now makes their own sumps to go with external versions of their tanks. Aside from the fact that I (and many others) absolutely hate the stands, the tanks themselves are very good quality. Cade is also another option.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ProClear! They make some really nice aquariums. I recommend the ProStar 200, which is 5', for your space. You could go 6', but it would make maintenance a pain. Trying to deal with cords, etc.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm referring to the people that hate on Red Sea just to dog pile on something (even though they've never owned one). Nope, my glass is crystal sparkly clear. I also run a UV and ozone so the water is more or less pristine.
I have a UV too, still looks foggy

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ProClear! They make some really nice aquariums. I recommend the ProStar 200, which is 5', for your space. You could go 6', but it would make maintenance a pain. Trying to deal with cords, etc.
Just to add to this - you can definitely cobble together and price out a complete system - even if it means buying the individual parts.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks,
Paul

1689004655816.png
Also for trigger fish, I recommend this guy! He is a niger trigger. I named him Grunt because he is very vocal and has a great personality! Just dont put shrimp with them, they devour shrimp! Ive also got a baby clown trigger named Harbinger. Shes super cute!

Attachments

• 1EAAC05E-6F68-4E6A-978B-B858960593E8.jpeg
    1EAAC05E-6F68-4E6A-978B-B858960593E8.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 34FE5F26-4EEB-4FCC-ADC1-5BF0029E031D.jpeg
    34FE5F26-4EEB-4FCC-ADC1-5BF0029E031D.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 59C4222B-EDDE-423C-AE29-788B0937932A.jpeg
    59C4222B-EDDE-423C-AE29-788B0937932A.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 17

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for trigger fish, I recommend this guy! He is a niger trigger. I named him Grunt because he is very vocal and has a great personality! Just dont put shrimp with them, they devour shrimp! Ive also got a baby clown trigger named Harbinger. Shes super cute!
You sure about the niger? The ones I've seen at my LFS are mean as f***. And by mean, I mean they drew blood from everyone who worked there. One particular specimen would even attack the glass whenever I went by.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 66 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back