Nice review of the color difference in Ecotech Gen 5 Radion Pro & Blue

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For those going Gen 5 + T5s, IMO it makes more sense to get the pros. Of course you can turn up or down the blues on the blue but most of us cannot switch out LED diodes, T5s allow you to completely change the bulb/look. In other words it makes sense for the light that cannot be changed to be neutral. I'll probably be going G5 Pros with blue plus.
I went with the gen5 pros and 2 purple+ and 2 actinic bulbs

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
???? It's made in Pennsylvania
Designed*
02880731-3128-466B-AF67-341397530736.jpeg

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hemmdog I dont get it lol? They did design and assemble the beard from scratch in house.
Well "assembled" is sort of the operative word here..Most likely all parts inc the main boards are probably fabbed "not here" and assembled..

Which means the US probably screwed up the lens w/ an out of spec tool (assuming torque set screw guns) OR
assembled means putting finished lights in a box..Though I suppose "legally" that shouldn't happen..
Assembled in USA
Imported parts put together in the USA

Stuff happens..BUT that should have been noticed.... Friday shift.. ;)

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
562A2643-B657-4605-A8C1-72C279C0F710.jpeg
1BC62A41-C6FA-4D7A-8A90-A9EA89121F35.jpeg

[/QUOTE]
They will charge you a dollar, It's been two days since I called about my broken light and am still waiting for a shipping notice from them.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech wouldn’t handle appropriately for cost of the product at hand. Told me they can only ship out one replacement at a time. Hats of the Marine Depot for making the best of the situation overnighting replacements. Albeit, since Ecotech jerked me around it’ll be two days as we missed the cutoff. To make it worse this whole time I could see that MD only had 3 units left with most every other retailer sold out. I was very close to returning both and walking away from Ecotech.

Last edited:

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow so sorry to hear of this. I was actually quite shocked when I opened the boxes to find the light right up against the power brick. I was thinking wow these lights probably take a beating in route. The packaging was definitely rushed and they clearly tried to save on shipping weight. Something a company of their caliber shouldn't be doing IMO. I am dealing with ecotech support right now aswell about a separate issue I am having with my two lights.

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well "assembled" is sort of the operative word here..Most likely all parts inc the main boards are probably fabbed "not here" and assembled..

Which means the US probably screwed up the lens w/ an out of spec tool (assuming torque set screw guns) OR
assembled means putting finished lights in a box..Though I suppose "legally" that shouldn't happen..

Stuff happens..BUT that should have been noticed.... Friday shift.. ;)

Lol yea I totally missed that. I mean it only makes sense that some parts are sourced from overseas.

Are meanwell and cree us based companies?
I thought cree came from China. Sidenote I wonder if reef lighting is ever going to go to COB leds like all the horticulture guys are using. Like some CXB 3590 90 CRI.
@oreo5457

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yea I totally missed that. I mean it only makes sense that some parts are sourced from overseas.

Are meanwell and cree us based companies?
I thought cree came from China. Sidenote I wonder if reef lighting is ever going to go to COB leds like all the horticulture guys are using. Like some CXB 3590 90 CRI.
@oreo5457

Doesn’t matter where majority shareholder headquarters are located. Cree, Philips, and just about any other high end boutique diode company actually manufactures them in China, Malaysia, and Indonesia. The engineering is done by their chief engineers and design staff, the manufacturing is outsourced, the packaging, assembly, and distribution is usually done in the country where they are designed. It’s not a bad thing. Do any of you all think your iPhones or smart tv’s are made in the USA (from an internal component sense)? (They’re not)

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech wouldn’t handle appropriately for cost of the product at hand. Told me they can only ship out one replacement at a time. Hats of the Marine Depot for making the best of the situation overnighting replacements. Albeit, since Ecotech jerked me around it’ll be two days as we missed the cutoff. To make it worse this whole time I could see that MD only had 3 units left with most every other retailer sold out. I was very close to returning both and walking away from Ecotech.
Ecotech must have recently changed their policy, I thought they made it possible to replace as many units as possible all at once, all you had to do was provide them with a CC number.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both have 100 leds. Blue had more blues and pro has more whites. Coral mainly uses blue, so I don’t see why you wouldn’t get the blue, it still has all the other colors too, just predominantly blue which is what corals benefit the most from.
Not to mention you could still adjust the blues down on the blue fixture for less blue (ie more white) it’s just they are optimized at all channels at 100%

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t matter where majority shareholder headquarters are located. Cree, Philips, and just about any other high end boutique diode company actually manufactures them in China, Malaysia, and Indonesia. The engineering is done by their chief engineers and design staff, the manufacturing is outsourced, the packaging, assembly, and distribution is usually done in the country where they are designed. It’s not a bad thing. Do any of you all think your iPhones or smart tv’s are made in the USA (from an internal component sense)? (They’re not)

Thanks for the response. I was 90% sure, that was the case and reason I asked was the mention of "assembled". I guess I dont see the issue with the loophole assembled instead of made. As you just mentioned the best of the best in pretty much every industry, outsource their ideas, to bring cost down for the end consumer. Not to mention manufacture on a much larger scale.

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention you could still adjust the blues down on the blue fixture for less blue (ie more white) it’s just they are optimized at all channels at 100%

My main beef with ecotech Is they made it out to be that the new fan was so quiet and efficient. I bought the blue so I could crank par without having to go so slow acclimating because of the many white diodes. If I bought a frag coming from t5 or led running lower par and wanted to hit it with 450 par without having to reglue it 6x in my tank I could. Anyway for me it might make more sense to get another fixture and run lower percentages to keep my tank silent.

The fans are far from quiet and they kick on a lot if I go over 50 % intensity with all channels at 100. Keep in mind my tank is downstairs but above grade. Ambient is around 68 this time of year down there.

I'm also coming from xr15s so the fans were probably spinning at a much lower RPM.

My biggest issue with the lights is mobius automatically adds lunar lights to every single schedule even with lunar mode disabled. It drives me crazy I still cant figure out how to shut them off. I plugged them into my apex and kill power at 1130pm in the meantime.

Last edited:

Lightdir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main beef with ecotech Is they made it out to be that the new fan was so quiet and efficient. I bought the blue so I could crank par without having to go so slow acclimating because of the many white diodes. If I bought a frag coming from t5 or led running lower par and wanted to hit it with 450 par without having to reglue it 6x in my tank I could. Anyway for me it might make more sense to get another fixture and run lower percentages to keep my tank silent.

The fans are far from quiet and they kick on a lot if I go over 50 % intensity with all channels at 100. Keep in mind my tank is downstairs but above grade. Ambient is around 68 this time of year down there.

I'm also coming from xr15s so the fans were probably spinning at a much lower RPM.

My biggest issue with the lights is mobius automatically adds lunar lights to every single schedule even with lunar mode disabled. It drives me crazy I still cant figure out how to shut them off. I plugged them into my apex and kill power at 1130pm in the meantime.
when you click on the point you want to edit there is a tab with the shape of a moon on it. You can then turn down the moonlight, and moonlight blue down to 0% and then hit save.

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you click on the point you want to edit there is a tab with the shape of a moon on it. You can then turn down the moonlight, and moonlight blue down to 0% and then hit save.

I will try again tomorrow. Thanks for trying to help.

When I click the moon the moon lights arent included in the slider bars. All the other diodes are there but moonlights. I had it fixed for like 10min a couple days ago until I shortened my photo period and jacked it all up again.

I am pretty good with tech and have been building PCs for 15 years. This UI is terrible in my opinion. I'm hoping its because of the rushed release and will get better. I also have only logged in my my galaxy s10+. Maybe it is better on a bigger screen but not being able to zoom on the small points is annoying.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech must have recently changed their policy, I thought they made it possible to replace as many units as possible all at once, all you had to do was provide them with a CC number.
Same, tried to provide a CC no luck. Hats of to MD for responding appropriately

As far as the unit I do have. Not sure if it’s a firmware issue but man this fan is LOUD. 8-10 decibel louder than Gen4... Thought it was meant to be quieter.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back