Nick's 300 Mixed Reef with Basement Fish Room

Nsakis1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to build the dream tank!
Just purchased our first home and have been procrastinating on starting a build thread so here we go.
Initially I was planning on doing the tank in the basement. Wouldn't have to worry about structural integrity of main floor and it could butt up to my utility room which would turn into the fish room. Problem was that I REALLY wanted a peninsula style tank and the basement only offered a corner option. Little did I know the wife was thrilled about a main level tank!
1 million questions coming since I've been out of the hobby for 5 years but I'll start slow. Below is a few pictures with different angles of where the proposed tank would go if all works out. Planning on right behind the couch with overflow to the left.
Plan is 8' length, 30" deep, 25" tall = 300 gallons. Also might have to consider 6' length as this would technically "fit" behind the couch better. Couch is 76" long.

Now my big question before moving forward is how do I knowledgeably calculate how much weight this floor can hold?

Thanks in advance for the mentoring!

20190915_075335.jpg 20190915_075536.jpg 20190915_075509.jpg 20190915_075406.jpg 20190915_075554.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome! Can't wait to see this! I'll tag the #reefsquad to get some help on that question. I know one question is probably going to be what the support looks like underneath.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I'm a sucker for a peninsula so I'm signing up to follow along. Mine is only 120g and it's on a slab so I didn't have to worry about support.

To be honest, if I was in your shoes, I would spend a couple/few hundred dollars and have a structural engineer come to the house and take a look at it. Just consider it part of the investment you're making in your dream tank. After all, you decided not to install it in the basement, let's make sure it doesn't end up there.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to build the dream tank!
Just purchased our first home and have been procrastinating on starting a build thread so here we go.
Initially I was planning on doing the tank in the basement. Wouldn't have to worry about structural integrity of main floor and it could butt up to my utility room which would turn into the fish room. Problem was that I REALLY wanted a peninsula style tank and the basement only offered a corner option. Little did I know the wife was thrilled about a main level tank!
1 million questions coming since I've been out of the hobby for 5 years but I'll start slow. Below is a few pictures with different angles of where the proposed tank would go if all works out. Planning on right behind the couch with overflow to the left.
Plan is 8' length, 30" deep, 25" tall = 300 gallons. Also might have to consider 6' length as this would technically "fit" behind the couch better. Couch is 76" long.

Now my big question before moving forward is how do I knowledgeably calculate how much weight this floor can hold?

Thanks in advance for the mentoring!

20190915_075335.jpg 20190915_075536.jpg 20190915_075509.jpg 20190915_075406.jpg 20190915_075554.jpg
Normally I feel people can "guestimate" for tanks against a load bearing wall. The biggest factor is if the tank runs parallel or perpendicular to the floor joists. The other key is how far it will be from a load bearing wall on each side. With a peninsula, if you butt it up against a load bearing wall it is going to run parallel to the floor joists (not ideal). If you butt it up against a non load bearing wall you will be dealing with a long span (not ideal) on the perpendicular joists.

If in doubt, call a civil engineer. They shouldn't charge much to come look at your layout, do some calculations, and make recommendations.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what’s already been said, you need a structural engineer to be 100% certain and what’s a few 100 $ in a build like this

That’s a lot of weight so you need to be sure.

And welcome to R2R as well by the way!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the guys about a structural engineer. The necessary additional support should not be too costly considering the investment in your tank and home! I too am a sucker for peninsula tanks and will be following along.

In that location you will have to deal with some potential issues due to ambient light but it shouldn't be a deal breaker. I love your planned dimensions! My dream tank would be a 96x36x22 peninsula.

Subscribed!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it OK if I just chime in and say, "What they said!"

Close to 300 gallons is over a ton and that's just the water! If it were me, I'd probably go for a double thick 2x8 beam that crosses the joists and is held up by a metal post to the basement floor... despite whatever the engineer says! ;Wideyed

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nsakis1

Nsakis1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the replies!
I will start searching for an engineer. I kept getting recommendations to just ask my local fish store but I can't trust someone who's also trying to sell product. It's not gonna be an 8 foot hole in THEIR family room lol.
I'll post another picture soon of where the floor supports are. One thing I can say is that the tank would be perpendicular. Also...unfortunately a nice big I beam is like 1ft from the edge of where I want the tank.
Stay tuned

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats.. I just bought my first house and in the same mindset as you. I wanted to do a peinsula but my Living room is narrow so it would not look right. I am going with a 84X36X30T with basement fish room... IMO I love you open concept living area and a tank as large as your may create too much off a separation to your living space. Having it against the far wall would make it easier to view from entire room and would be easier to hide overflow and electrical cords. Just something to consider as I have a simliar layout considered and choose a wall install in my current space. Best of luck

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back