Nicrew 50 mounting

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the nicrew 50 hyper reef light, but I’m concerned about the mounting. Does anyone who has this or similar models know if the screw that hold it in place can corrode or not? My previous light got rust on the mounting, and I obviously want to avoid that.

Also, this is how it’s currently mounted, with the screws touching the water. This matches how they show to set it up. But could I just flip it so the screws are on the outside? Or would that create an issue with maintaining the weight of the light?

Thanks!

IMG_9090.jpeg

OP
OP
GiannisK

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. I was hoping they’d be made of plastic, couldn’t really tell. Thank you.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This light is supposed to be mounted with the chunky bit towards the inside. That's how the instructions have it set up, and it's possible you might put undue stress on the mounting bracket to have it mounted the other way, especially if the arm of the light is extended quite a ways over the tank.

I have this light, and it's been mounted on my tank with the bolts partially in the water since August. I just pulled it off to give it an inspection and I see no evidence of rusting on any part of the screws or bracket.

That's not to say it couldn't happen at all, but these lights are designed to be mounted with the screws to the inside.

I ran a search through the Amazon reviews for 'rust' and 'rusting' and of the almost 1500 reviews, nothing about the bolts rusting was mentioned.

OP
OP
GiannisK

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This light is supposed to be mounted with the chunky bit towards the inside. That's how the instructions have it set up, and it's possible you might put undue stress on the mounting bracket to have it mounted the other way, especially if the arm of the light is extended quite a ways over the tank.

I have this light, and it's been mounted on my tank with the bolts partially in the water since August. I just pulled it off to give it an inspection and I see no evidence of rusting on any part of the screws or bracket.

That's not to say it couldn't happen at all, but these lights are designed to be mounted with the screws to the inside.

I ran a search through the Amazon reviews for 'rust' and 'rusting' and of the almost 1500 reviews, nothing about the bolts rusting was mentioned.
That's great to hear then, thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back