Niger Trigger and Clams Disaster or OK?

Ubans13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i know niger triggers can pretty much eat everything, and will. I know all fish are different in some may bother it and others will not. But my question is can i keep a maxima or crocea clam with a niger trigger. Really want a nice clam to add to the tank and was hoping to maybe get one at reefapalooza. Thanks for the help.

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I think their instinct is to nip at the mantles, but I suppose you never know. I have heard of some fish nipping at mantles that usually don't do that. If you get the clam and he starts to bother it, you can try making a net to protect it. It's not the prettiest looking in the tank, but it should protect the clam. A friend of mine had to do this for her blue squamosa. I don't recall which one of her fish was nipping at it but it wasn't a trigger.

OP
OP
Ubans13

Ubans13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I think their instinct is to nip at the mantles, but I suppose you never know. I have heard of some fish nipping at mantles that usually don't do that. If you get the clam and he starts to bother it, you can try making a net to protect it. It's not the prettiest looking in the tank, but it should protect the clam. A friend of mine had to do this for her blue squamosa. I don't recall which one of her fish was nipping at it but it wasn't a trigger.
I dont think i wanna do the mesh protector. I love this trigger and just may have to pass up the clam. I was all ready to buy the clam and the trigger just hit me. I dont think i wanna feed a $60 dinner. Thanks for the reply!

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 58 29.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back