Niger Trigger Shy?

jgabbsxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
I have a juvenile (2 1/2 inch) Niger Trigger in my tank (40G) that I purchased 6/7 months ago. He has a favorite hiding spot in one of my rocks and in turn, he loves that corner of the tank. I rarely see him swimming around unless there is no movement in the room that the tank is in. Are these triggers known to have this shyness? When he is out and about, the friendliest fish in the tank. Do I just have a broken triggerfish? LOL

Any input would be great!

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
I have a juvenile (2 1/2 inch) Niger Trigger in my tank (40G) that I purchased 6/7 months ago. He has a favorite hiding spot in one of my rocks and in turn, he loves that corner of the tank. I rarely see him swimming around unless there is no movement in the room that the tank is in. Are these triggers known to have this shyness? When he is out and about, the friendliest fish in the tank. Do I just have a broken triggerfish? LOL

Typical behavior for a young Niger. Fyi he will quickly out grow a 40 gallon. I have a 90 and mine uses every bit of the tank and I wish I had a bigger tank. I'm about to re-home him

OP
OP
jgabbsxx

jgabbsxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical behavior for a young Niger. Fyi he will quickly out grow a 40 gallon. I have a 90 and mine uses every bit of the tank and I wish I had a bigger tank. I'm about to re-home him
Thats what I thought! & He will be getting into a bigger tank soon, still finalizing the size of new tank that can fit in the house!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

Stop scaring the fish, he's hiding from YOU!

In time he will come running, but that may happen faster if you always move calmly through the room where the tank is and say "hello (Mr or MS.) Triggerfish as you pass through, and especially as you add food into the tank. Animals respond to noise and movement, and to random acts of kindness. If you come busting into the room just passing through or to catch a glimpse of the shy fish that fish will stay where it feels safe from the craziness that it sees going on outside of it's cell.

Be mindful, and eventually it will say hello everytime you pass, and hopefully not bite your hand when you are working in the tank. These fish are naturally territorial. I have been attacked twice in the wild while snorkeling. Respect your trigger and it will be a great friend.

GL
fish slap GIF
:cool:

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In time he will come running, but that may happen faster if you always move calmly through the room where the tank is and say "hello (Mr or MS.) Triggerfish as you pass through, and especially as you add food into the tank. Animals respond to noise and movement, and to random acts of kindness. If you come busting into the room just passing through or to catch a glimpse of the shy fish that fish will stay where it feels safe from the craziness that it sees going on outside of it's cell.

Be mindful, and eventually it will say hello everytime you pass, and hopefully not bite your hand when you are working in the tank. These fish are naturally territorial. I have been attacked twice in the wild while snorkeling. Respect your trigger and it will be a great friend.

GL
fish slap GIF
Mine comes running when I come into the room. He gently eats out of my hand. But when young was very scared and hid.

OP
OP
jgabbsxx

jgabbsxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GL
fish slap GIF
He earned his name as "Spooky" because of this haha! Thankfully he is not territorial on tank cleaning days and has not threatened to bite me, yet.....

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine comes running when I come into the room. He gently eats out of my hand. But when young was very scared and hid.
Nice! Do you talk with your fishes? They are very intelligent and they learn from their experiences with us what to expect.

My first “attack” in the wild was in a lagoon in Rarotonga where previous snorkeling divers had “trained” these fish to expect a frozen pea to be provided from people swimming in their lagoon. I figured that out after the aggressive trigger fish attacked me for swimming through the lagoon and not having any peas for them to eat.
More recently, a trigger smashed into my head with such force that I thought I had carelessly swam into a rock in about 3 feet of water. I looked up expecting to see a reef and I was surrounded by sand? I realized that a fish had attacked my head, probably protecting its nest on a nearby reef that I had just swam past. The hit was so powerful that I completely expected to see a boulder reef but there was only water in front of me? I left the area, once was enough.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back