Nikon D3100 help please

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so i need some camera pros who know how to work a Nikon D3100. I am still very new to the DSLR games, so i thank you for any advice. My main problem is taking pics with the Cree Blue LEDs on. You guys know what i am talking about the ones that make you corals pop like candy. I have a tripod but i can seem to get the color balance proper. I feel like i tried every mode possible. Messing with white balance, no flash etc. Every pic was either too blue or too dark. I really just want to corals to stand out like they do with the LEDs on and the rest dark but its seems in order to get the right colors of the corals the rest of the pic is bright blue...not what i am looking to accomplish which is a real life representation. Any ideas, tips or pointers are appreciated.

lurchw00t

Wham Bam Shazaam!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I've heard works best is having your lights on, whites and blues, then adjust white balance. Turn your whites off then take your pictures.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I've heard works best is having your lights on, whites and blues, then adjust white balance. Turn your whites off then take your pictures.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G

So your saying adjust it while day lights are on...then turn them off and take pics? not sure i follow

This is an example of what has been happening to me
DSC_0289.jpg

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my biggest fear with putting my LEDs on my tank... Tagging along..

LOL Troy...Trust me it isnt a problem with the white and blue on. I have a friend that has a full led system and the pics look great but with just blue...its a whole other story. I am hoping someone has some input cuz its driving me nuts.

Bruno

MEMBER OF THE ELITE FORCE
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a photo of you sand bed or of a piece of PVC in you tank (works better if your room is dark) then use that photo to set your white balance

I turn the flow off in my tank. And always make sure my glass is clean

Attachments

• HAMMER1.jpg
    HAMMER1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 122
  • SCOLLY12.jpg
    SCOLLY12.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

mjfinfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up fsu1dolfan.. little note just called up nikon and they told me for the D3100 model the flash wouldnt work properly for nole fans!! sorry dude.. lol.. did you end up learning how to work it?

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up fsu1dolfan.. little note just called up nikon and they told me for the D3100 model the flash wouldnt work properly for nole fans!! sorry dude.. lol.. did you end up learning how to work it?

Always a UM fan taking a shot LOL....I got some good advice about needing to be into a complete dark room in order to capture got neon pics! I'll let you know how it goes.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use mine (D90) in manual mode. I can't remember what I have the white balance set at, but I can check for you later on. Do not use a flash. Do turn off all of the pumps and powerheads. Do clean your glass. You can also take a picture of something white or gray (should use a gray card to be sure that there are no other tints to it) and use that to set the custom white balance on your camera (see your instruction manual for directions).

Another option is to take a picture of something white or gray using the RAW format and change the white balance in Photoshop. Gary Parr said that he sometimes uses the coraline algea in aquariums to set his white balance this way.

CJ

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FSU, my gf has a D3000 and I tried to take pictures with it as well as setting the white balance correctly with a white card, but it didn't work...i'm not sure if the white balance it limited on these "lowerer end" cameras, but I couldn't get it to work...and without photoshop or other post-processing tools, i just use a p&s waterproof camera that i borrow from work...but when I shoot with the D3000, i set the white balance to "shade," because it works the best - and i think it is the upper limit to which the camera can adjust the white balance to

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you CJO and Butts for the information - I am out of town this weekend but with these suggestions and a super dark room (which i have yet to do) i should be able work out some decent shots when i get back....i have alot of playing around to do!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back