Nikon lens 55-200 won't focus

Adamtran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start off, I'm a noob at photography. Im using a nikon d7200 and ive done some research and came to the conclusion the lens to go with are the tamron90 or the Nikon105. Im just wondering why my kit lens(55-200vr) wont focus on the corals. I just want to know if im doing something wrong before I buy the other lens. Thanks

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start off, I'm a noob at photography. Im using a nikon d7200 and ive done some research and came to the conclusion the lens to go with are the tamron90 or the Nikon105. Im just wondering why my kit lens(55-200vr) wont focus on the corals. I just want to know if im doing something wrong before I buy the other lens. Thanks

Let’s troubleshoot; does your kit lens focus on something else; something far outside the tank. If it does, then the problem is not with the focus ring itself. Lenses have a minimum focal distance (or a range for a zoom lens), below which the optics can’t focus. Check to see what this distance is for your kit lens, and check the distance between the camera and your corals.

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nikon D7000 and the kit lens with mine will auto focus on the front of the aquarium. I have to manually focus to get it to focus on the corals. You may be having a similar issue.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimum focus maybe.

A lens has a limit to how close things can be.
A macro has a closer focus.

OP
OP
Adamtran

Adamtran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, your comments confirms that I need another lens. I wondered why it can't focus since the lens is capable of zooming 105mm. So the lens has a minimum distance to focus. Guess I'll be looking into a macro lens, thanks everyone.

OP
OP
Adamtran

Adamtran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, your comments confirms that I need another lens. I wondered why it can't focus since the lens is capable of zooming 105mm. So the lens has a minimum distance to focus. Guess I'll be looking into a macro lens, thanks everyone.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back