Nitrate 0 and Phosphate 0.07

PristineReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my nitrates are at 0 and phosphate is 0.07. Typically I see nitrate high on tanks and phosphate lower. What causes nitrate to be 0 but showing phosphate? I dosed nitro to get nitrate in tank. Put phosphate X to drop phosphate to lower level to prevent algae issue arising.

FYI - Tank is still not finished. Building top to hide lighting and all cords.

20210413_203618.jpg 20210411_195832.jpg

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What causes low nitrates? Over skimming, over filtration (filter socks/pads/ats/oversized skimmer) when there wasn't a nitrate problem in the first place, not enough feeding, not enough fish to eat and make fish poop

OP
OP
P

PristineReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What causes low nitrates? Over skimming, over filtration (filter socks/pads/ats/oversized skimmer) when there wasn't a nitrate problem in the first place, not enough feeding, not enough fish to eat and make fish poop
Thanks! So what causes the phosphate in the tank then since I have them?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same things

RuuToo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks pretty new - it’s likely to be all over the place for a while, and chasing numbers with dosing may or may not help in the initial break in period. Different organisms will be breaking out and consuming phosphate and nitrates at different ratios and then something else will come in and do the reverse. I also dont think that 0.07 is all that high myself, if there aren’t any obvious negative signs.

It’s your tank though, so you can do whatever makes you happy. Mine looked like utter crap for a whole year before it settled in and started to look good, so who knows what my advice is worth.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back