nitrate going up but i don't know how

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
READ CAREFULLY

i dosed nyos nitrate + and my nitrates went to 75ppm+ then i stopped dosing and got my nitrates down to 39ppm now they are back up to 75+ppm i have no fish i do not feed the tank my rodi water tests 0 my nitrite is 0 (tested with hanna nitrite) i only have 2 coral in the tank

how is my nitrate going up?

phosphate 0.05
nitrate 75ppm+ on hanna
100+ppm on salifert

tank is fluval evo 13.5

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to check nitrite if you can since that can make nitrate tests appear very high.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did water changes went from 75 - 52 - 39

already did with hanna today was 0 nitrite

Well the only other possible thing I can think of that could have happened outside of a testing error is nitrite throwing things off or some decent die off of some sort but I would think the die off would be obvious so I doubt that is the cause. Since you got 0 nitrite, and I am guessing nothing big died off, I have to think some more about this. I wonder if you do a big water change again if it would spike once more.

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the only other possible thing I can think of that could have happened outside of a testing error is nitrite throwing things off or some decent die off of some sort but I would think the die off would be obvious so I doubt that is the cause. Since you got 0 nitrite, and I am guessing nothing big died off, I have to think some more about this. I wonder if you do a big water change again if it would spike once more.
well i'm kinda annoyed cause my corals we're meant to be coming 2morrow but i have had to hold off to sort this problem out

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i'm kinda annoyed cause my corals we're meant to be coming 2morrow but i have had to hold off to sort this problem out
Are you able to do a 5-10 gallon change? This whole thing is kinda bizarre haha

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am but i bet that would pee my torch and scoly off
Maybe try and do it slowly and make sure the water is preheated (if you haven't already). The way I have found to not irritate things on small tanks is to use a moderate or slower speed pump to remove and put in the water. Putting the tube in the corner of the tank should keep things pretty gentle for the corals.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
READ CAREFULLY

i dosed nyos nitrate + and my nitrates went to 75ppm+ then i stopped dosing and got my nitrates down to 39ppm now they are back up to 75+ppm i have no fish i do not feed the tank my rodi water tests 0 my nitrite is 0 (tested with hanna nitrite) i only have 2 coral in the tank

how is my nitrate going up?

75+ to 39 to 75+ in what time frame?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think even doing a 50% water change would cause too many issues so long at you match salinity and temperature closely. I had torches that were always angry after water changes on my 29g, but it never seemed to affect them beyond the actual water change day.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are water changes your only means of export on the nano tank? Weekly? Use something like reef actif or PNS probio once a week to eliminate organic waste to prevent excess nitrates from accumulating

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back