nitrate going up but i don't know how

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
went from 39-75+ in like 1 week

Assuming the 75+ values are accurate, and If there was no feeding anything and no messing with the tank in that time (like cleaning sand) then I expect the 39 value was inaccurately low.

Test errors are far more common than many people think, and, IMO, are almost always the cause of readings that do not make sense.

In any case, I would not spend much effort trying to understand it, and just treat it as a high nitrate situation.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are water changes your only means of export on the nano tank? Weekly? Use something like reef actif or PNS probio once a week to eliminate organic waste to prevent excess nitrates from accumulating

I know this is a trendy thing, but I see no reason to think those products will reduce organic waste, at least not any more than other organic carbon dosing such as vodka or vinegar.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a trendy thing, but I see no reason to think those products will reduce organic waste, at least not any more than other organic carbon dosing such as vodka or vinegar.
Interesting, is your opinion based on testing of those products specifically or your knowledge of their ingredients? I guess if they all contain or promote heterotrophic bacteria then yes, they all should perform similar in the tank.

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, is your opinion based on testing of those products specifically or your knowledge of their ingredients? I guess if they all contain or promote heterotrophic bacteria then yes, they all should perform similar in the tank.
Great question. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back