Nitrate help.. Maybe carbon dosing?

CarrieHess

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me start by saying that my tank came to me from someone else that established it almost 10 years ago. It is a 65 gallon tank with quite a bit of live rock and the original sand. I have mixed corals, a handful of fish and a pretty decent cuc. I am doing weekly water changes, cleaning the sand bed, blowing rocks etc. but being that I am new to the hobby, I am scared I am missing something else that I should be doing.

My problem is my nitrates no matter what I do still seem to be high. Much higher than I like. I don't think I am over feeding. I feed once in the morning. A pinch of flakes, some mysis or brine shrimp for my carnivore friends and then a few small pieces of shrimp for my anemones here and there. I have read a few different things that if your ph is non existent that nitrates won't really lower. Or atleast that was my take on what I read but not sure how true that is.

So I guess my question is, I am considering vodka dosing. I have been reading this article http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php to follow. Would this even work if my ph is so low? Is there something else you guys would suggest instead? Being so new to the whole idea of reefing the last thing I want to do is crash my tank and I feel like since I am still learning it might be best to just ask for suggestions before I just do it.

My salinty is 1.024
Temp 78.4
Nitrates 40
Ph 0
Ammonia somewhere beteween 0 and .25

I do have a sump with a protein skimmer that is running 24 hours a day

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Little information about the hardware. If you are interested in the bacterial method, then you need a powerful skimmer. Then questions with PH should disappear by themselves. And don't expect a quick drop in nitrates after 10 years. Your stones will give nitrate for a long time

OP
OP
CarrieHess

CarrieHess

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Little information about the hardware. If you are interested in the bacterial method, then you need a powerful skimmer. Then questions with PH should disappear by themselves.
I have an eshops protein skimmer if that is what you are asking. As far as the model, unfortunately since I didn't purchase it I don't have much info on it other than that. I'm not sure if there is a way that I can determine the actual model on it.

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to use the bacterial method, then for your volume you need a skimmer with an air flow rate of 800 to 1200 liters per hour. Otherwise there will be problems.

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been since you transferred the tank? Never seen a 0 PH, is your test kit expired?
Nitrate will take a while to come down on 10 year old tank.

OP
OP
CarrieHess

CarrieHess

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been since you transferred the tank? Never seen a 0 PH, is your test kit expired?
I took over the tank 2 months ago and that's a good question. Maybe it has expired. It came with the tank so I have no way of knowing how hold it is. I guess I didn't realize that was a thing.

OP
OP
CarrieHess

CarrieHess

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to use the bacterial method, then for your volume you need a skimmer with an air flow rate of 800 to 1200 liters per hour. Otherwise there will be problems.
So I was able to locate the model. It's the Eshopps PSK-100 made for a 75-100 gallon tank. I just cant seem to find the info on how many gallons it pushes per hour :/

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took over the tank 2 months ago and that's a good question. Maybe it has expired. It came with the tank so I have no way of knowing how hold it is. I guess I didn't realize that was a thing.

Honestly i would continue with your weekly maintenance for a while longer to see if you can lower your nitrates before you start with carbon dosing. Yes, test kits have a exp. date
FYI - I had an old tank with nitrates at 50+. Took me 6 months of WC and removing the sand to get them down to 10-15.

OP
OP
CarrieHess

CarrieHess

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly i would continue with your weekly maintenance for a while longer to see if you can lower your nitrates before you start with carbon dosing. Yes, test kits have a exp. date
FYI - I had an old tank with nitrates at 50+. Took me 6 months of WC and removing the sand to get them down to 10-15.
thank you! The gentleman that had the tank gave up on it long before I bought it so I have a feeling I am battling a lot of the issues that were preestablished with him. Especially because I brought about 60% of his water with me as well. Did you see any side effects of the higher nitrates? I guess that is my biggest concern. The last thing I want is to hurt my fish or corals.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Carrie. We also need to know your po4 number. If you are super low on po4 the tank will not process no3. Let me explain. I can lower my no3 by dosing po4. And vise versa. I also feel good random flow helps significantly in helping the tank keep no3 from building up.

OP
OP
CarrieHess

CarrieHess

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Carrie. We also need to know your po4 number. If you are super low on po4 the tank will not process no3. Let me explain. I can lower my no3 by dosing po4. And vise versa. I also feel good random flow helps significantly in helping the tank keep no3 from building up.
Thank you for the info! My po4 is coming back at 0. At least thats what the test told me but someone advised me that these expire and I have no idea how old it is considering it came with the tank.

I currently have 3 power heads in my tank. Two smaller ones and one large one. I would assume that would be enough flow? I know positioning makes a difference as well. So maybe that is also part of my issue.

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was able to locate the model. It's the Eshopps PSK-100 made for a 75-100 gallon tank. I just cant seem to find the info on how many gallons it pushes per hour :/
I’m pretty sure that’s the model skimmer I have, and I have it on a 65 gallon tank with a 40 breeder sump. It does the job for me.

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info! My po4 is coming back at 0. At least thats what the test told me but someone advised me that these expire and I have no idea how old it is considering it came with the tank.

I currently have 3 power heads in my tank. Two smaller ones and one large one. I would assume that would be enough flow? I know positioning makes a difference as well. So maybe that is also part of my issue.
I'd love to know how you measured phosphate?

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you! The gentleman that had the tank gave up on it long before I bought it so I have a feeling I am battling a lot of the issues that were preestablished with him. Especially because I brought about 60% of his water with me as well. Did you see any side effects of the higher nitrates? I guess that is my biggest concern. The last thing I want is to hurt my fish or corals.

You are correct. His lack of maintenance let nutrients build up. A little excessive algae is all i saw from high Nitrate. No real effect on the coral except SPS which did not color up so well. I have seen beautiful tanks with 20+ nitrate so you are not far off.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I missed it but how long have you had the tank back up and running? Also, have you tried Brightwells Microbacter7? It is a bactetia additive that helps lower nutrients. Dose that with a carbon source such as their biofuel.

It is good at establishing your beneficial bacteria along with lowering nutrients. Worth a shot if haven't used it before.

OP
OP
CarrieHess

CarrieHess

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I missed it but how long have you had the tank back up and running? Also, have you tried Brightwells Microbacter7? It is a bactetia additive that helps lower nutrients. Dose that with a carbon source such as their biofuel.

It is good at establishing your beneficial bacteria along with lowering nutrients. Worth a shot if haven't used it before.
He had it up and running until the day I got it. Then I have had it with me now for 2 months. I have not tried microbacter so maybe I will try adding that in with a biofuel and see what happens. It can't hurt.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess another question would be should I try adding Chaeto instead?
Some have a tough time growing cheato in their sumps, you could try other macro plants to help you out. I dosed for years, if you go that route no worries its not as hard as its made out to be, it just takes a bit of time to get to a high enough dose to start to bring down the trates.

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carrie,
I would recommend you take a water sample to your local fish store & get the water tested. At least calcium, magnesium, phosphate, salinity & pH.

Pay for it if you have to, but you need to know what your water chemistry is, with confidence.

Then it will be possible to make the correct changes.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back