Nitrate levels

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive just tested my no filter no skimmer 20 gallon and my nitrates have come up as 17ppm. What are your nitrates at and are there 1) any reasons to lower it 2) ways of reducing them other than feeding less and water changes?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive just tested my no filter no skimmer 20 gallon and my nitrates have come up as 17ppm. What are your nitrates at and are there 1) any reasons to lower it 2) ways of reducing them other than feeding less and water changes?
My nitrates are at 0.

To answer your questions:
1. At this point, no. Only need to lower nitrate if it becomes too high... though what is 'too high' is not very clear.
2. If you grow something that utilizes the nitrate, like algae, then it'll lower. That's why I quite like having an algae scrubber. :D

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are at 0.

To answer your questions:
1. At this point, no. Only need to lower nitrate if it becomes too high... though what is 'too high' is not very clear.
2. If you grow something that utilizes the nitrate, like algae, then it'll lower. That's why I quite like having an algae scrubber. :D
Thanks for that reply, its only because there is very conflicting information on the internet.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are around 10 in my rank right now.

Lps and zoa's seem to like it just fine, I don't have any sps though.

Tons of conflicting info out there to be sure, and lots of folks represent their OPINION as the only way a reef can be run.

Algae reactor is my method of reduction.

Back