Nitrate not increasing

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good man I know far to many time people buy those expensive light bars that say reef or coral and they are hardly enough to grow coral and for the price you can get something a lot better guaranteed to grow coral.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen nems under that light. Fwiw.
If you run it all the way up, and run it longer it works too.

DLI. Daily light integer.

The only light I've not seen grow coral is my two JBJs. And they were BRIGHT.

OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen nems under that light. Fwiw.
If you run it all the way up, and run it longer it works too.

DLI. Daily light integer.

The only light I've not seen grow coral is my two JBJs. And they were BRIGHT.
I'm only looking to grow softys? I turned the lights down awhile ago. That could of been my problem

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only looking to grow softys? I turned the lights down awhile ago. That could of been my problem
No. Not a problem. There is even a thread here with a scientist asking about success in the least amount of light.
Keep in mind , not all softies are low light. But if your giving 50 par for ten hours to a low light animal your fine. A zoa likes around 100 for 8-10 hours and wil take a LOT more. So without looking, I'd say you can probably safely run that light full blast torn8-10 safely. I'd have to look but you might be able to get away with 14. Or more :eek:

OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Not a problem. There is even a thread here with a scientist asking about success in the least amount of light.
Keep in mind , not all softies are low light. But if your giving 50 par for ten hours to a low light animal your fine. A zoa likes around 100 for 8-10 hours and wil take a LOT more. So without looking, I'd say you can probably safely run that light full blast torn8-10 safely. I'd have to look but you might be able to get away with 14. Or more :eek:
I got really worried when I first got the light because when I read up on stuff everyone said they run their lights for 8 hours max so I turned it down but now to think of it... I think since I turned it down I started loosing my corals. I do think they are having a problem with nutrients so I think I will be getting oaster stuff on the weekend because it has been hard to accumulate nitrates

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got really worried when I first got the light because when I read up on stuff everyone said they run their lights for 8 hours max so I turned it down but now to think of it... I think since I turned it down I started loosing my corals. I do think they are having a problem with nutrients so I think I will be getting oaster stuff on the weekend because it has been hard to accumulate nitrates
Yea. A good mix of foods is imprtiant for sure. Part of the balance.
If you can. Try to find the par specs on the light and tag me. We can work out what might be good for the tank.
Folks don't like to post info when they have these (brand shaming) and I've always been pleasantly surprised when is see success with them.

And a goof ball light thing, a $17 Home Depot Philipps par 38 will grow coral. I've seen it done.

OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can. Try to find the par specs on the light and tag me. We can work out what might be good for the tank.
Folks don't like to post info when they have these (brand shaming) and I've always been pleasantly surprised when is see success with them.

And a goof ball light thing, a $17 Home Depot Philipps par 38 will grow coral. I've seen it done.
I will for sure tag you! I'd really like to figure out what's going on with my tank and get my corals growing so I will shoot you a tag as soon as I find it out.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will for sure tag you! I'd really like to figure out what's going on with my tank and get my corals growing so I will shoot you a tag as soon as I find it out.
Never ending chess game. It's why we play it.
And the lerning is the journey.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light you bought should run it at 100% and see if the corals respond positively and if they do you know it wasn’t getting enough light.

OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just realized my filter turned itself off and isn't running. Hopefully I can fix it and see what's going on. How long can the tank run without it?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized my filter turned itself off and isn't running. Hopefully I can fix it and see what's going on. How long can the tank run without it?
What filter ?
A tank can live with no filter at all really.
If it's been off a awhile make sure it's clean of course.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a canister filter
Yea it'll go forever without it. You could be seeing it not liking the flow without it or even if that's where your carbon is Chem warfare goo is building up.

But def clean it befor going back on line. Ammonia can build up in it or worse.

You might just be having a bit of the perfect storm. Three things or more not quite right at the same time.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t turn it back on!!!!!!! Friend of mine had a Canister his kid got to the hose and kinked it and he went and check why the flow wasn’t coming out and not knowing unkinked it and nuked the whole tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t turn it back on!!!!!!! Friend of mine had a Canister his kid got to the hose and kinked it and he went and check why the flow wasn’t coming out and not knowing unkinked it and nuked the whole tank.
Ammonia and sulfur dioxide. From Bactria going anerobic. Ewww

OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it'll go forever without it. You could be seeing it not liking the flow without it or even if that's where your carbon is Chem warfare goo is building up.

But def clean it befor going back on line. Ammonia can build up in it or worse.

You might just be having a bit of the perfect storm. Three things or more not quite right at the same time.
I don't run carbon in my tank. Never really knew how to do it so I don't.

Back