Nitrate not increasing

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Really not sure what the heck to do unless i pull my blocks and let my tank grow algae
It won't man. Coral eat the same food algae does. If there at too much algae grows. You don't have any.

I have a sumples tank with a skier that half works. I have high N/p.
I have very little alge and no Cyano

I also have a coral qt w rock Dsb and no fish that I don't hardly Feed

The nutrients have completely bottomed out. Cuz I have the prob you are worried about. Bacteria has eaten all the food.

All you can do is try. Pull one block
And many try whit I suggested.
We've cured a lot of Dino's with that method.
Then keep slowly escalating. Slowly.
One of the next steps , a pain in the bit imo. No3 dosing to cure the N limitation prob.
But that as you say makes you think you'll grow alge too.

Honesty were it my tank , I'd hook up the canister , pull all the rock empty the sump. Go back to the kiss method (Berlin ) scrub the rock w peroxide and re start. Prob take me a day.
I'd also throw a can of Fiji mud in and make a mes , toss some chato in the fuge old school and over feed the tank for months to create a forced maturity. Then over months let the nutints drop back to normal and keep buying coral the whole time. That way in six or eight months the tank will be rocking.

But that's me.

OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks I know its only been a day but pretty sure I see growth from my torch
3d24ada165951f56e999c38c23851fe8.jpg

Clowns are always trying to get in the photo lol

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy happy clowns.

Looks good. Might like the light now.

That's such a young tank. Itll take some some time for it to get its footing.

If it's anything like my tanks have been, sometimes it just want me to go Learn something new.

OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy happy clowns.

Looks good. Might like the light now.

That's such a young tank. Itll take some some time for it to get its footing.

If it's anything like my tanks have been, sometimes it just want me to go Learn something new.
Yeah. Hopefully not too long. I'm worried about adding fish or corals. I am still getting the oaster eggs puree next week so that's good but should I be waiting for adding fish and corals you think?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a test and nitrates still at 0
From what I can see. It's a really happy tank. And really happy coral.

One thing I belive many folks do is to let the tests dictate the health of the tank. Happy LOOKING tank and odd readings. It's a little backwards. The tests just tell us how or more correctly , what it's doing.
Honestly if the tank looks happy. It is. And the test says what's going on while it's happy right now.

If you felt great , looked great, and were great , and I took your temperature , and said ,"hey you're sick". Youd say I was nuts.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Hopefully not too long. I'm worried about adding fish or corals. I am still getting the oaster eggs puree next week so that's good but should I be waiting for adding fish and corals you think?
Fish don't care about nitrates.

Feed the fish healthfully, as best you can. You don't need to feed the "tank " at all. Poo and leftovers will do that.

Add slowly , I'd say adding fish are fine , and keep feeding healthfully.

The tanks No3, may rise for a time , but the bio filter will build up strength due to more food needed for them and the no3 will go back down.

Just like exercise does for you. Work out more ya eat more. Muscles build , a little fat builds , excezide more becuse you can run father now, you need more calories so you eat more. Once you settle in to say a mile a day you won't eat more , if you do. You'll get more fat so you know to cut back.
That's the basic theory

OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish don't care about nitrates.

Feed the fish healthfully, as best you can. You don't need to feed the "tank " at all. Poo and leftovers will do that.

Add slowly , I'd say adding fish are fine , and keep feeding healthfully.

The tanks No3, may rise for a time , but the bio filter will build up strength due to more food needed for them and the no3 will go back down.

Just like exercise does for you. Work out more ya eat more. Muscles build , a little fat builds , excezide more becuse you can run father now, you need more calories so you eat more. Once you settle in to say a mile a day you won't eat more , if you do. You'll get more fat so you know to cut back.
That's the basic theory
That makes much sense. I think I need more fish in general cause they're isn't enough poo going around lol.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes much sense. I think I need more fish in general cause they're isn't enough poo going around lol.
Lol. See what you did there.
Why is it exactly you think you need more poo? The tanks is happy so....o_O

OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. See what you did there.
Why is it exactly you think you need more poo? The tanks is happy so....o_O
Just cause of the lack of nitrates. I wanted more fish anyways just didn't really know how many I could have in the tank.

Benqb007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember too, just because your test kits aren't registering anything doesn't mean you have straight zero's across the board. Someone said above, takes a solid year for a tank to really start establishing some maturity. Being newer and only 10 gallons, you can have registered readings and then nothing after a small water change. It is all a process. No nitrates is like having first world tank problems, so sleep easy buddy

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't corals need that for growth. Now I'm confused.
Go back and re read. And also read the post from @Benqb007.

You do have them. The tests are not and all be al of diagnosis.
IMO. Our eyes are.

Case in point and proof of this.
If you had absolutely no no3. Those corals would be sick and or dead. Not beautiful.

Also. HOBBY grade tests.

OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go back and re read. And also read the post from @Benqb007.

You do have them. The tests are not and all be al of diagnosis.
IMO. Our eyes are.

Case in point and proof of this.
If you had absolutely no no3. Those corals would be sick and or dead. Not beautiful.

Also. HOBBY grade tests.
Okay I understand now.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks wanted to ask you what this was. Maybe a reason why my pulsating Zenya isn't growing as my torch is. It's like a red fluff.
10ddfb6180f6682793a17948a8d3cb1d.jpg
If it blows off easily with the turkey baster, its cyano bacteria. If it stays there and is connected to the frag like a moss. It is an algae.

Either way, it won't really effect growth.
Let me know how your test goes.

And don't worry. That Xenia is defiantly going to grow soon. :)

OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it blows off easily with the turkey baster, its cyano bacteria. If it stays there and is connected to the frag like a moss. It is an algae.

Either way, it won't really effect growth.
Let me know how your test goes.

And don't worry. That Xenia is defiantly going to grow soon. :)
Yeah it's an algae

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's an algae
K. Well it's not going to kill anything.

You might want to pop the frag off and get it out if the tank and scrub it with a tooth brush. Usually I say just do it in the tank. But I have a. Similar red fuzz and it did spread a bit after tank scrubbing.

I use three containers with tank water. (So do it on a day after your water change) use one to scrub. Put a very little hydrogen peroxide in that one. Then use the other two containers to rinse.

The stuff I have spread , but then died after a while for no reason.

So really , you could leave it alone and enjoy some weird and let it cycle out of the system on its own
Or a gentle scrub and clean.

Back