nitrate tests

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You saw I used Red Sea from the marine kit and I like it. I was just looking into the Nitrate Pro kit @Muttley000 posted and it is nice. It can test the same as mine, but has the additional benefit of testing the low end under 2 ppm more precisely.

I need to figure out a way to do that with the kit I have.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally cannot wait until hanna comes out with a nitrate checker. They'd make bank. Probably sell more than all of the others combined!

According to Randy here, do not hold your breath.
Note that the reason Hanna doesn't sell such a nitrate checker is the effect of salinity (chloride) on the results, and the potential need to develop a standard curve at the salinity you are running the tank at. :)
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/using-hanna-checker-to-test-nitrate.475950/#post-5233808

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Havent nailed this down yet but attempting to use my camera a tripod and post processing to change the image to grayscale.

Then using the software to determine the average white point of the ring and the sample to determine where the sample lies in reality.

So far haven’t managed to offset the differences in light that hits the sample vs the color wheel. Also no idea how realistic this is [emoji23]

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang well stick me behind the wheel and I guarantee I'll have the math and programming factor in a curve. They could have the user input salinity with up or down arrows and it takes readings appropriately!

Obviously wishful thinking but I also think it's smart to not be like Apex and announce a product that can't be delivered

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You saw I used Red Sea from the marine kit and I like it. I was just looking into the Nitrate Pro kit @Muttley000 posted and it is nice. It can test the same as mine, but has the additional benefit of testing the low end under 2 ppm more precisely.

I need to figure out a way to do that with the kit I have.
Yes, I was looking to buy a test and all they had was the red sea pro so I did not buy it. I am glad you saw this, I was gonna tag you in! lol. I am not sure I care to know the numbers exactly down to the 10th. Is the goal 3-5 for nitrate? I keep forgetting.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I was looking to buy a test and all they had was the red sea pro so I did not buy it. I am glad you saw this, Imwas gonna tag you in! lol. I am not sure I care to know the numbers exactly down to the 10th. Is the goal 3-5 for nitrate? I keep forgetting.

Depends on the tank, but that is a reasonable range. I am just glad lf they are greater than 0 ppm. I started dosing recently to 3 ppm.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the tank, but that is a reasonable range. I am just glad lf they are greater than 0 ppm. I started dosing recently to 3 ppm.
yes, your thread is what got me thinking about this. I will elaborate my thoughts on this conundrum in my thread.

._Z_.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the NYOS nitrate test kit to be the easiest to read. I regularly use salifert though as it’s a bit cheaper.

I’d probably pay an arm and a leg for a Hanna nitrate checker, if anybody from Hanna is listening ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the NYOS nitrate test kit to be the easiest to read. I regularly use salifert though as it’s a bit cheaper.

I’d probably pay an arm and a leg for a Hanna nitrate checker, if anybody from Hanna is listening ;)
Easy to read sounds good.

Docdiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had an ati test sent out and got back the results. My nitrate was a bit above what my red sea was capable of reading so I assumed 5-6ppm. Came back saying 13ppm.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back