Nitrates always 0-1, phosphates high? Algae problems?

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so confused with my tank. I’m a newbie, trying to do all the research I can, reading some sources saying I need to dose nitrate but I can’t understand why I can’t get it up naturally.

My nitrates are 0-1ppm (Red Sea) every time I check. Highest it’s been is 2ppm. Phosphates are currently 0.14ppm (Hanna). Used cycled dry pukani, and during cycling my phosphates were as high as 2.0ppm so I expected some phosphate issues, but I’ve gotten it down significantly.

Recently, I’ve had an algae issue with what I believe are a type of crysophytes. I’ve been through all the ugly phases of diatoms, cyano, green powdery stuff, and most of those have disappeared, also have some coralline growing.

I have 10 fish, added 5 recently with no affect on nitrates. 120g tank with 55g sump. Some soft corals and CUC. I recently turned my protein skimmer off and only have chaeto and some bio media in the sump. No reactors or anything else. I also have been overfeeding, I feed flakes 2x/day and LRS reef frenzy 1x/day. Twice a week I dose Red Sea AB+. My fish are fat and my corals seem happy.

Any ideas on why my nitrate stays so low? Coming from the freshwater world I figured this was a great thing, seeing the algae issues I’m having maybe not so much lol.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep its becouse the rate at which algie consumes nitrates and phosphates is not equal and there are always phosphates left over when using macro to clean your tank

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't worry about numbers, unless there's something wrong. It's a new tank, so you're gonna have some algae here and there until things balance out. Leave your skimmer on. Too many benefits from running a skimmer, then to turn it off, hoping to elevate your nitrates.
A little gfo will help with the phosphates and you can dose a little sodium nitrate at night to bring nitrates up a little.
Feeding more will contribute to increased phosphates, before it will increase nitrates.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates in a saltwater marine environment is not like freshwater as they are used much faster then phosphates are used and by more then just the algie and or macro(plants) in most freshwater tanks like mine there is no low o2 zone for the last part of the nitrogen cycle but in a marine environment the rock and or deep sand bed use nitrates but only bind phospates to be later leached back into the water

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not dose nitrates enless you want more algie problems I would instead up waterchanges turn skimmer back on to remove them before they break down and or add phosgurad

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In nature the phosphates get bound then threw plate movment get pushed onto land and become land thats the main way nature get rid of phosphates there are other ways yes but this has one of the biggest impacts

RadDad22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so confused with my tank. I’m a newbie, trying to do all the research I can, reading some sources saying I need to dose nitrate but I can’t understand why I can’t get it up naturally.

My nitrates are 0-1ppm (Red Sea) every time I check. Highest it’s been is 2ppm. Phosphates are currently 0.14ppm (Hanna). Used cycled dry pukani, and during cycling my phosphates were as high as 2.0ppm so I expected some phosphate issues, but I’ve gotten it down significantly.

Recently, I’ve had an algae issue with what I believe are a type of crysophytes. I’ve been through all the ugly phases of diatoms, cyano, green powdery stuff, and most of those have disappeared, also have some coralline growing.

I have 10 fish, added 5 recently with no affect on nitrates. 120g tank with 55g sump. Some soft corals and CUC. I recently turned my protein skimmer off and only have chaeto and some bio media in the sump. No reactors or anything else. I also have been overfeeding, I feed flakes 2x/day and LRS reef frenzy 1x/day. Twice a week I dose Red Sea AB+. My fish are fat and my corals seem happy.

Any ideas on why my nitrate stays so low? Coming from the freshwater world I figured this was a great thing, seeing the algae issues I’m having maybe not so much lol.
How is this issue currently?

What worked or didn't.

Thanks!

OP
OP
lba4590

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this issue currently?

What worked or didn't.

Thanks!
Haha, did a complete flip. Nitrates are around 13, PO4 is 0.02 with daily dosing… and I have a major Dino/cyano issue! Yayyy me! I forgot this post/that I was even having this issue, it’s been a constant battle but I’d take the prior issue in a heartbeat lol

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back