Nitrates and Alkalinity Diminishing

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates and alkalinity are diminishing very quickly however my calcium and phosphates are not. Any reason this might be happening? Currently dosing double alkalinity compared to calcium and when I test my alk still going down. Due to a battle with dinos and cyano I have very few corals at this point but a lot of red turf algae covering the rocks. I feed fish 3 times a day but still have to dose 6 caps a week of Neonitro just to keep nitrates at a detectable level.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide a little more information? Size of your tank, how you are measuring your parameters, and exactly what you are dosing?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate can contribute to alkalinity in the scheme of things. Wouldn't be that much at low levels to begin with. Usually double dosing alkalinity would make calcium go down. In your case it is not. My initial thoughts are you using any reactors? Possibly a dead spot in sand or clogging reactors making anaerobic bacteria. That kind of bacteria could lower nitrates and alkalinity. As well the algae can make instability issues worse with ph and alkalinity. I would find a way to get rid of the turf algae, and others. Maybe try an urchin or turbo snails.

OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide a little more information? Size of your tank, how you are measuring your parameters, and exactly what you are dosing?
160G display 40G sump. Hanna ULP and Nyos for nitrates. Hanna dkh and salifert for cal and mag. Dosing alk, mag, cal via BRS 2 part + BRS mag.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
160G display 40G sump. Hanna ULP and Nyos for nitrates. Hanna dkh and salifert for cal and mag. Dosing alk, mag, cal via BRS 2 part + BRS mag.
How old is the tank and how much dKH and Ca are you dosing per day?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

60ml is roughly 0.5dKH and 30ml is roughly 1.75ppm Ca.

0.5dKH is probably right for a low consumption tank.

Your Ca is most likely dropping with your unbalanced dosing. Salifert and other Ca tests are rather inaccurate and subject to error. Apex Trident is +/-15ppm Ca and most other testers are worse. At your current dosing rate I wouldn't expect your Ca to noticeably drop via testing for at least 2 weeks or longer.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's quiet vague, but if you have very few and you're dosing 60ml of two part I'd say you're very likely having a precipitation issue rather then actual consumption.

All tanks consume Alk/Ca via abiotic precipitation and biological usage. pH, Alk/Ca concentrations, and surface poisoning via PO4 greatly effect abiotic precipitation.

OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60ml is roughly 0.5dKH and 30ml is roughly 1.75ppm Ca.

0.5dKH is probably right for a low consumption tank.

Your Ca is most likely dropping with your unbalanced dosing. Salifert and other Ca tests are rather inaccurate and subject to error. Apex Trident is +/-15ppm Ca and most other testers are worse. At your current dosing rate I wouldn't expect your Ca to noticeably drop via testing for at least 2 weeks or longer.
My calcium is not dropping the 30ml keeps it steady. For months I would dose the same amount of dkh and cal and they would keep steady. It wasn't until the past 2 weeks that the tank started consuming more dkh than calcium.

Also curious about the nitrates tanking.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My calcium is not dropping the 30ml keeps it steady. For months I would dose the same amount of dkh and cal and they would keep steady. It wasn't until the past 2 weeks that the tank started consuming more dkh than calcium.

Also curious about the nitrates tanking.

So most likely both Alk/Ca consumption increased. As stated you'll be able measure Alk changes with hoby grade test kits but not this small a change to Ca.

I suggest you do balanced dosing unless you want to lower your Ca a little.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So most likely both Alk/Ca consumption increased. As stated you'll be able measure Alk changes with hoby grade test kits but not this small a change to Ca.

I suggest you do balanced dosing unless you want to lower your Ca a little.

Since your probable using a 2-part, you'll probably be raising you Sodium ions as well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back