NITRATES!!!!!!!!!!! And more NITRATES!!!!

Desi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reyt....I cant weigh this up. Used Nopox for over 6 wks now and still no reduction in nitrates....at all. Still 50 or over. Using salifert test brand new. Doing correct dosage 3ml per 100l. Rock work was replaced over 9 mnths ago and looks fantastic. No algae whatsoever. Phos levels hardly traceable. Cal 440 Mag 1450. I dont over feed as not a lot of fish. Got lots of flow 2 cp 40s on med power blasting all stuff off bottom so water is clear hardly any sediment on bottom or rocks at all. Plus return pump. I do reg water changes. Tanks 6ft. 3 Ai sol super blue above. V2 1500 skimmer and phos reactor as well. I'm stumped. Any ideas?!

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem with my RS 260. Nitrates rose to 80 but my phosphate was nearly zero. I dosed with Nopox but did not see a reduction. What helped was adding some phospate back into the tank. I used Neophos. It only took a couple weeks to get the nitrates back in check after adding the phosphate.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So strange, You have everything that should reduce the nitrates in your tank. I might suggest you try another test kit or brand to see if you get the same results. What type of tank are you running? Mixed, SPS or LPS?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Hannah Ultra Low Phosphate/Phosphorous and get a measurement - a few parts be billion is fine, but you need some. You need some P to create the new bacteria that organic carbon dosing will feed. Phos reactor might be limiting you here.

Removing the rock might have been your largest mistake. The biggest source of nitrate reduction is in the anoxic bacteria in rock and sand which used the oxygen and turns NO3 into N gas.

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem with my RS 260. Nitrates rose to 80 but my phosphate was nearly zero. I dosed with Nopox but did not see a reduction. What helped was adding some phospate back into the tank. I used Neophos. It only took a couple weeks to get the nitrates back in check after adding the phosphate.

Agree. if Phosphates are zero you will have a hard time bringing down nitrates. Dose some Neophos and see what happens.

OP
OP
D

Desi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing is I've always had high nitrates since day 1 and high phos. That's why I changed all rock but phos has been about 0.4 for last 2 mnths but I just cant get rid of nitrates. Had tank for about 6 yrs.

OP
OP
D

Desi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. if Phosphates are zero you will have a hard time bringing down nitrates. Dose some Neophos and see what happens.
Thing is my phosphate levels are about 0.4 to 0.5 and have been for a while. I've had nitrates since day 1 since I set tank up about 6 hrs ago. Its been really in past and high nitrates that's why I changed all rock a long time ago. Now low phos but still stable massively high nirates

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time you rinsed your filter media?

The first time I rinsed mine, it was just choked with sludge. Rinsing in tank water, it didn't lower my nitrates, but they started going down after successive water changes.

OP
OP
D

Desi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have filter floss that I cange every 2 week but it's hardly any sediment inside but change fresh anyway

Plunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reyt....I cant weigh this up. Used Nopox for over 6 wks now and still no reduction in nitrates....at all. Still 50 or over. Using salifert test brand new. Doing correct dosage 3ml per 100l. Rock work was replaced over 9 mnths ago and looks fantastic. No algae whatsoever. Phos levels hardly traceable. Cal 440 Mag 1450. I dont over feed as not a lot of fish. Got lots of flow 2 cp 40s on med power blasting all stuff off bottom so water is clear hardly any sediment on bottom or rocks at all. Plus return pump. I do reg water changes. Tanks 6ft. 3 Ai sol super blue above. V2 1500 skimmer and phos reactor as well. I'm stumped. Any ideas?!

Plant some macroalgae in there. They will help big time.

OP
OP
D

Desi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So strange, You have everything that should reduce the nitrates in your tank. I might suggest you try another test kit or brand to see if you get the same results. What type of tank are you running? Mixed, SPS or LPS?
Bit of mixed. Lps n sorties but lps just fade away cos of nitrates. Tried nyos test kit...same. JBL...same. aquaforest...same.

OP
OP
D

Desi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Hannah Ultra Low Phosphate/Phosphorous and get a measurement - a few parts be billion is fine, but you need some. You need some P to create the new bacteria that organic carbon dosing will feed. Phos reactor might be limiting you here.

Removing the rock might have been your largest mistake. The biggest source of nitrate reduction is in the anoxic bacteria in rock and sand which used the oxygen and turns NO3 into N gas.
It was the same reading with the old rock but had to change it because it was leaching phosphate and there wanst a spare inch that wasnt covered with GHA. It had absorbed that much over the years it had reached capacity and end of its life

Modest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a Donovan’s nitrate reactor. Brought my nitrates back from 80 to 5 ppm in 2 months.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others that low phosphates is part of your problem. I have used nopox in the past, I think it was better at removing phosphates then nitrates, just my opinion.

I am guessing that if your tank is over 6 years old, you are not feeding too much, and you're doing plenty of water changes, that likely your sand bed is the culprit. This was my situation.

OP
OP
D

Desi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nopox will not work to lower nitrates if phosphates are zero. Your system could be phosphate limited. Would also recommend buying another nitrate test kit to confirm you nitrate reading
I've had high nitrates along with high phos readings but only phos gone down.ive tried lots of test kits and all same reading so it's not the kit.

Gordonm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had high nitrates along with high phos readings but only phos gone down.ive tried lots of test kits and all same reading so it's not the kit.
Running biopellets helped me bring down nitrates not phosphates. Both were reading high for years.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have said here, I think you have the phosphates to low. bring it up a little and see if we’re right. Maybe we’re wrong, but I don’t think so.

I was in the opposite position recently, and had to start dosing nitrates. I had the same Phosphate issue as you had, but I’m sticking it out with an algae scrubber. as much as I didn’t think it would work, my phosphates began going down. I’m keeping the nitrates at around 20 these days. Still battling the phosphates from the rock, but it’s way better now. I’m reading zero phosphates, but the day after I scrape the screen, I’m at .12 phosphates. two days of growth I’m back to 0 (I understand it’s not really zero).

Bonus was the corals look much better, and are growing faster.

Back