Nitrates are extremely high after my cycle is done.

Dom’s Reef

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 11, 2025
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Location
Youngstown, Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the API test for now but it is reading 80 to 160 ppm range for nitrates. Ammonia and Nitrite are zero.
20250925_180702_D153DE3B-23C7-4A9F-B585-201BCFBD2CD2.png
Should I do a giant water change. My cycle has been done for a week now just didn’t test nitrate yet. My LFS has some spotcinctus clownfish on hold for me. Would I be able to do a giant water change and get the clowns tomorrow? Or should I take them off hold.
 
Do nothing yet.. Assuming you did not add ammonia many different times, the result is likely a little nitrite reading as a lot of nitrate.

How did you cycle?
 
Do nothing yet.. Assuming you did not add ammonia many different times, the result is likely a little nitrite reading as a lot of nitrate.

How did you cycle?
Sorry for being late a lot happened. I did a fishless cycle. I kept dosing ammonia to 2.0 for a couple weeks when it went to zero. As I did more research I read more and more people saying you don’t need to do that so I stopped, and just let ammonia and nitrites zero out.
 
Personally I would definitely do some water changes to drop the nitrate to around 10-20 before adding a fish.
 
A water change is a fine plan.

Realize that the testy result may be way off unless you boosted ammonia more than 10 times. :)
 
Sorry for being late a lot happened. I did a fishless cycle. I kept dosing ammonia to 2.0 for a couple weeks when it went to zero. As I did more research I read more and more people saying you don’t need to do that so I stopped, and just let ammonia and nitrites zero out.
Your nitrite was up and is now zero, so that looks to me to be a valid result for your nitrate, which isn't a real problem for Clownfish, but you can certainly lower it with a water change, especially if you have a smaller sized tank. If you added the ammonia multiple times, you will indeed end up with high nitrate after the cycle.

Good luck going forward!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new