Nitrates are sky high in my quarantine

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My quarantine is a 150 lit. Ehaim cube with a small wave maker aimed at a coppersorb and GAC bags, a 500 l/h pump mixing the water , a small deltec (some 3 letters 300) an originel filter with bac substrate media. I have 4 cardinals 2 melanorous wrasses one cleaner wrass 2 small clowns and a blue chick trigger.
There are some dead coral skeletons, few Maxspect media balls and a sand bed for the melanorous
Amonia is 0 but nitrates are sky high (inn the 30's-50's. My queation is: Is it a good idea to add bacteria and a carbon source (i have RS Nopox and TM NP Bacto balance) to have the bacteria reduce the nitrates and end in the skeemer?

Last edited:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My quarantine is a 150 litet Ehaim cube with a small wave maker aimed at a coppersorb and a GAC bags, a 500 l/h pump mixing the water , a small deltec (some 3 letters 300) an originel filter with bac substrsye media. I have 4 cardinals 2 melanorous wrasses one cleaner wrass 2 small clowns and a blue chick trigger.
Thers some dead coral skeletons,few mqxspect media balls and a sand bed for the melanorous
Amoinia is 0 but nitrstes are sky high. My queation is is it a good idea to add bacteria and a carbon source (i have nopox and TM NP Bacto balance) to have the bacteria reduce the nitrates and end in the skeemer?
I imagine nitrites are messing with your nitrate test kit. Note the different spelling of nitrite vs nitrate.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is sky high to you? And what tests are you using?

Doing a water change is going to be the most effective way to lower your nitrates. That's a pretty big bio-load you've got in there. If ammonia is truly zero and nitrates are however high they are, that means you have plenty of nitrifying bacteria — there's no need to add more. Do the math on what you want to reduce nitrates to and change water accordingly.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Dont Arrested Development GIF

OP
OP
Koty

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used the API stick. I know its less accurate but IME it at gives the order of magnitude. Its not nitrifying bacteria i am aiming for but the Nitrate/phosphate ones that use carbon as energy, assimilate them, and end up in the skimmer as in my DT. Fish are in the QT till the end of a post velvet fallow.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What test kits are you using as you may be getting false readings?
I in defense of nitrate use ChemiPure Blue or elite which brings it down and keeps NO3 and PO4 in check will polishing your water at the same time.

OP
OP
Koty

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies and sorry for all the typos (Fixed them now).
I thought Ion-exchange of nitrate is irrelevant for seawater as it exchanges with Sodium?
FWIW I use GAC from Clear-fx (not pro) recommended by my LFS.
For my DT that is now only corals acting crazy W/O fish i use all the standard accurate test kits.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I understand this right? You have 10 fish in a 150 L (40 g) quarantine tank?

Your fish are fine at that level and even higher. Most use a 40-50ppm from a fish health standpoint as do I, but that's more from anecdotal evidence than actual toxicity.

Water changes. Chemipures claims on nitrate removal are overstated.

Back