Nitrates are through the roof, Need help ASAP

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling high n03 and PO4 in my reef tank for months now and between all the water changes I do on a weekly basis these numbers do not want to move.
I am running a 120G reef tank with protein skimmer, sump, refugium w/chaeto and marine pure blocks and balls. I recently have been having coral die off and needs to end I sent in an ATI test and this was my result:

Nitrates: 111, Yes unfortunately read that right.
P04: .41

So for starters:
1. I’m going to be feeding literally half of what I feed on a daily basis.
2. Make sure I change my filter socks every day or every other day
3. Do multiple water changes this week every other day to see if that makes a dent in these numbers.

I have a 2-3 inch sand bed that I’ve had nassarius snails working in from Day 1 but I want to get in there with a turkey baster and kick everything up from underneath is that bad to do since I never really done that before?
Lastly, What are your thoughts on dosing NOPOX? More harm than good or is is a safe option to resort to?
Thank you any advice comments concerns will be greatly appreciated

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this is happing . Hows your chaeto growing ?
mans yes stirring up the the sand bed is not a good thing unless you do it on a weekly or biweekly basis,

also I’ve seen people dose no pox to help reduce nitrates

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't kick up your sand bed with a turkey baster; you'll probably create more problems. If you're going to vacuum the substrate, get a proper tool for doing this (see some videos on YouTube).

1-3 are all good measures. And yes, NOPOX will work. It may take up to a few days to a week before you start seeing any changes reflected in test results. Good luck!

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow 111 nitrate... I have to dose to keep it at 1.

Did you start with dry rock? Where did you get your rocks from? How many fish are you feeding and how much food?

bigger water change = remove more nutrient.
if you have 10PPM in water, want to bring it down to 0 PPM (just water no rock or sand)
doing a
100% WC = 1 time
50% WC =3 times
10% WC = 30 times
something around those number.

98% of the bacteria are live on your LR, only 2% are free floating. so do as big a water change as you want, as long as heated to the same temp and salinity as your display tank.
higher temp = less oxygen in water, turn off skimmer = less oxygen in water. so that would stress the fish out even more.

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this is happing . Hows your chaeto growing ?
mans yes stirring up the the sand bed is not a good thing unless you do it on a weekly or biweekly basis,

also I’ve seen people dose no pox to help reduce nitrates
Chaeto is growing great I prune every few weeks however I really don’t believe that my 12x12 refugium section in the sump is doing anything for nutrient reduction, I think it’s just a good breeding ground for my pods that’s about it. I think I’m gonna start Nopox

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't kick up your sand bed with a turkey baster; you'll probably create more problems. If you're going to vacuum the substrate, get a proper tool for doing this (see some videos on YouTube).

1-3 are all good measures. And yes, NOPOX will work. It may take up to a few days to a week before you start seeing any changes reflected in test results. Good luck!
I will not be doing that I do not need any more problems than I currently have lol. I have a suction but I feel it sucks up more of my sand than the bad stuff. I’m gonna resort to Nopox I think

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test are you using?

What size water change are you doing? You would have to do a big change for it to show up on a test, and also if not big enough the nitrates could be replaced within a short period so it would seem you effort is not having an effect.

Very easy to reduce nitrates, a 25% water change should reduce nitrates by the same amount, but keep in mind, depending on the test you are using, that might not be enough to drop to the lower band on the colour chart, so would seem the nitrates haven’t moved.

What are your nitrites at? Any nitrites present will register on a nitrates test as nitrates.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will not be doing that I do not need any more problems than I currently have lol. I have a suction but I feel it sucks up more of my sand than the bad stuff. I’m gonna resort to Nopox I think
I think every 2 days for filter sock changes will be fine (from what I recall from the BRS video, there wasn't much to be gained between going daily).

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NoPox is not going to solve your issue. Mine hover around 15-20 while dosing NoPox daily and it keeps it stable rather than reduces.. You need to find out how the nitrate is getting into your system. Whether over feeding or water supply.

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow 111 nitrate... I have to dose to keep it at 1.

Did you start with dry rock? Where did you get your rocks from? How many fish are you feeding and how much food?

bigger water change = remove more nutrient.
if you have 10PPM in water, want to bring it down to 0 PPM (just water no rock or sand)
doing a
100% WC = 1 time
50% WC =3 times
10% WC = 30 times
something around those number.

98% of the bacteria are live on your LR, only 2% are free floating. so do as big a water change as you want, as long as heated to the same temp and salinity as your display tank.
higher temp = less oxygen in water, turn off skimmer = less oxygen in water. so that would stress the fish out even more.
Of course I always make sure the newly mixed water matches perfect salinity and temp wise to the tank. I am capable of doing around %40 perfect so I’ll do a couple of them this week see if that works

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What stock do you have?

NO3 is the end product of the nitrogen cycle - If you have a stock level that is simply too much for your tank to handle then youll forever be battling high NO3.

Nitrates are one of few parameters that are directly effected by water volume, ie NO3 of 100ppm can be halfed by a 50% water change using 0ppm water. That would be my course before going any other route as long as your stock could handle it.

Small water changes will not do much, hence a large one is needed to see a difference.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course I always make sure the newly mixed water matches perfect salinity and temp wise to the tank. I am capable of doing around %40 perfect so I’ll do a couple of them this week see if that works
Also have you a check around the tank to see if anything died ? Snail crab ? Something ? I remember I had a dead snail in my tank and my nitrates were through the roof until I found it

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NoPox is not going to solve your issue. Mine hover around 15-20 while dosing NoPox daily and it keeps it stable rather than reduces.. You need to find out how the nitrate is getting into your system. Whether over feeding or water supply.
Well over feeding is an issue that’s why I’m cutting back big time I’m literally feeding half of what I’ve been now.

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have you a check around the tank to see if anything died ? Snail crab ? Something ? I remember I had a dead snail in my tank and my nitrates were through the roof until I found it
I will have to look when I get home now that you said that

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test are you using?

What size water change are you doing? You would have to do a big change for it to show up on a test, and also if not big enough the nitrates could be replaced within a short period so it would seem you effort is not having an effect.

Very easy to reduce nitrates, a 25% water change should reduce nitrates by the same amount, but keep in mind, depending on the test you are using, that might not be enough to drop to the lower band on the colour chart, so would seem the nitrates haven’t moved.

What are your nitrites at? Any nitrites present will register on a nitrates test as nitrates.
I am using salifert, however I’m buying Red Sea this week. These numbers came from ATI lab this week
I have to check nitrites when I get home

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using salifert, however I’m buying Red Sea this week. These numbers came from ATI lab this week
I have to check nitrites when I get home
Salifert is good but if your nitrates are really that high, matching the colour on that colour chart will not be easy.

What reading does the salifert give?

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What stock do you have?

NO3 is the end product of the nitrogen cycle - If you have a stock level that is simply too much for your tank to handle then youll forever be battling high NO3.

Nitrates are one of few parameters that are directly effected by water volume, ie NO3 of 100ppm can be halfed by a 50% water change using 0ppm water. That would be my course before going any other route as long as your stock could handle it.

Small water changes will not do much, hence a large one is needed to see a difference.
My RODI has 0ppm I’m capable of doing about 40% so I’m going to do that a couple of times this week and test my nitrates at the end of the week.
I may be slightly over stocked:
Zebra Eel
Blonde Naso
Hippo
Yellow Tang
PBrT
8 chromis
Yellow eye Kole
Melanarus Wrasse
Yellow Coris
Mandarin Goby
Royal Gramma
Flasher Wrasse
Diamond Watchman Goby
120G tank 5FT long not the 4FT version

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert is good but if your nitrates are really that high, matching the colour on that colour chart will not be easy.

What reading does the salifert give?
It doesn’t help that I am colorblind either. Salifert gives me 100 on the reading

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebra Eel
Blonde Naso
Hippo
Yellow Tang
PBrT
8 chromis
Yellow eye Kole
Melanarus Wrasse
Yellow Coris
Mandarin Goby
Royal Gramma
Flasher Wrasse
Diamond Watchman Goby

What skimmer are you using?

How often do you change your filter socks?

How old are you rocks?

How much food were you feeding?

After you do a large water change, add Chemipure elite to your sump

Last edited:

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI has 0ppm I’m capable of doing about 40% so I’m going to do that a couple of times this week and test my nitrates at the end of the week.
Zebra Eel
Blonde Naso
Hippo
Yellow Tang
PBrT
8 chromis
Yellow eye Kole
Melanarus Wrasse
Yellow Coris
Mandarin Goby
Royal Gramma
Flasher Wrasse
Diamond Watchman Goby
All of that in a 120G id say is your route reason for struggling with Nitrates. Thats overstocked heavily in my eyes.

Thats 20 fish that includes 6 large species.

The 40% change is definitely a good shout in one hit and should make a noticiable difference BUT in my honest opinion you are heavily overstocked for your sized tank and unless you find a way to export that nitrate more heavily you will likely be forever battling it. Your at a bioload deficite in that the species oyu have produce waste quicker than your tank exports it in my eyes.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back