NITRATES OVER 0.5---1.0 PLEASE HELP

bigcheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped my corals in iodine from the pharmacy and now the corals look worse than before there is some white fuzzy stuff coming out of it they all shrunk to the skeleton should i worry?

Mine have always been pretty irritated at me after a dip, sometimes taking a full day to extend.

OP
OP
R

reefer2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might also ask if they have Lugol's solution.. it's common both as a medicine and as a slide stain used in medical tests.

When I do a coral dip, I take a small bucket, big enough to hold the coral comfortably. Put fresh saltwater (salinity and temperature matched to the tank) in to a depth to cover the coral plus 20mm or so. Stir in Iodine until the water's about the color of strong tea.
Put the hammer in and agitate the water every 1-2 minutes.
I dip for about 10-15 minutes in an iodine / potassium iodide solution, you might want to go 15-20. Povidone is mostly the ionic form of iodine but chelated so it's more of a longer, "time release" action.
Quick rinse with tank water and pop the hammer back into the tank.
There's a great thread out here on it, I'll post it up when I get a sec.
well great because of your suggestion of a pharmacy iodine i lost my trumpet coral

OP
OP
R

reefer2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have always been pretty irritated at me after a dip, sometimes taking a full day to extend.
it was better before the dip now its lost almost all of its flesh to bare skeleton i am pretty ticked about the dip
why did it kill my coral?
please explain to me

bigcheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was better before the dip now its lost almost all of its flesh to bare skeleton i am pretty ****** about the dip
why did it kill my coral?
please explain to me
@reefer2000 , I honestly don't know and am incredibly sorry. From personal experience, I have used regular povidone iodine without an issue before I used the Seachem product and one of my LFS swears by it, and I'm not the only one.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-dip-with-iodine.59085/

Is there a content label you can share, maybe something else in the formulation? I swear, if I thought it would make it to Armenia intact and through customs, I'd send you one of my trumpets along with the test kits you needed.

OP
OP
R

reefer2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reefer2000 , I honestly don't know and am incredibly sorry. From personal experience, I have used regular povidone iodine without an issue before I used the Seachem product and one of my LFS swears by it, and I'm not the only one.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-dip-with-iodine.59085/

Is there a content label you can share, maybe something else in the formulation? I swear, if I thought it would make it to Armenia intact and through customs, I'd send you one of my trumpets along with the test kits you needed.
Also lost my hammer to but it was a gonner so dont think it was the iodine. Thanks for understanding me and thanks for the offer i really apreciate it but anyways here is the iodine i used its a 5% solution

403B8AB7-2F73-457F-9ABB-505301431CB5.jpeg

3DA616E7-2316-4543-A597-2F571B4D7057.jpeg

bigcheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also lost my hammer to but it was a gonner so dont think it was the iodine. Thanks for understanding me and thanks for the offer i really apreciate it but anyways here is the iodine i used its a 5% solution

403B8AB7-2F73-457F-9ABB-505301431CB5.jpeg

3DA616E7-2316-4543-A597-2F571B4D7057.jpeg
Unfortunately I can't read cyrillic and the only Russian I know is curse words. It looks like a "manufactured on" and "use by" date on the front, but is there any other info on the label that might show the other 95% of ingredients?

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunate about your corals, but they were already gone most likely.
Whatever you do, don't throw away the skeletons. Leave them in the tank somewhere, I've read before that after some months, there may be some healthy tissue left deeper down that will grow into a new animal. Hope for the best!

OP
OP
R

reefer2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunate about your corals, but they were already gone most likely.
Whatever you do, don't throw away the skeletons. Leave them in the tank somewhere, I've read before that after some months, there may be some healthy tissue left deeper down that will grow into a new animal. Hope for the best!
Ok thanks for the advise just one question can euphylia refrow to?

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the advise just one question can euphylia refrow to?

I'm not much for offering false hope. If you can't see any fluorescence at all where the old heads were, and the outer skin is no longer a healthy whitish green, there's little chance of baby heads popping up. Leave it all the same, you never know, but more than likely it will just get covered in coraline algae over time.

Back