Nitrates WT…

Rogue_Mechanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. wondering A way to pin down the cause of a high nitrate problem.
This is on going. Large water changes reduce it. but never to zero. I’ve tried multiple test kits to verify if it’s actually high or just old tests.
Tank is a 5 year running 90 gallon 1/4 cylinder with gyre wavemaker. Got a large piece of live rock don’t remember weight now. Sump is 25 gallon with a reef octopus 165, Refugio’s section has a 6x6 block of marine pure with chaeto usually growing above it. I have a 12 watt Full spectrum led grow light -Red 630nm and 660nm, Blue:460nm and White light 2700K above it. Aqua ultra violet 15 watt uv, and my return pump is a Tam Rio 2500. I only have a couple bubble tips, sailfin tang, and a foxface in the tank right now.
ph is at 8, alkalinity is at 9dkh, (bit low I think). Nitrates over 50, phosphates and ammonia 0. Nitrites 0.
oh yeah, and hair algae is constantly killing my Chaeto. but regardless of health of chaeto, or cleanliness, etc. nitrates are an issue.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using RODI?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have no phosphates and are probably carbon limited you need proper nitrates and phosphates and a bacterial load to remove them naturally. If you increase your phosphates you should see a reduction in nitrates if not you need to add a carbon source like vinegar.

OP
OP
Rogue_Mechanic

Rogue_Mechanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so first. Fish only fed a dime size piece of herbivore frenzy every other day. Seaweed once or twice a week. Second, yes rodi water, some from my local fish store, some times purified drinking water or distilled. Never tap. Way to much chlorine here for that. And lastly, after checking my phosphates with a different test kit,(phosphate kit was expired), I do have levels between .5 to 1.0 ppm.
Added a photo just for general reference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
Rogue_Mechanic

Rogue_Mechanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also forgot to add, testing done with a Red Sea Max test kit, and a Salifert phosphate test kit.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so first. Fish only fed a dime size piece of herbivore frenzy every other day. Seaweed once or twice a week. Second, yes rodi water, some from my local fish store, some times purified drinking water or distilled. Never tap. Way to much chlorine here for that. And lastly, after checking my phosphates with a different test kit,(phosphate kit was expired), I do have levels between .5 to 1.0 ppm.
Phosphates of .5 or 1.0 can I Assume you’re using api?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those are your numbers both n03 and p04 are high that phosphate level is extremely high for me. I would take mechanical filtration measures make sure you have quality filter socks and skimming in place and cleaned every couple days, and with those numbers u would use some chemical for of nutrient removal such as gfo, also something for nitrates with a value over 50 thats very high for me I am not sure what they have for nitrate removal right now but both numbers are extremely high do you do waterchanges and have mechanical filtration, how do you values get that high? How long has this system been set up?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. wondering A way to pin down the cause of a high nitrate problem.
This is on going. Large water changes reduce it. but never to zero. I’ve tried multiple test kits to verify if it’s actually high or just old tests.
Tank is a 5 year running 90 gallon 1/4 cylinder with gyre wavemaker. Got a large piece of live rock don’t remember weight now. Sump is 25 gallon with a reef octopus 165, Refugio’s section has a 6x6 block of marine pure with chaeto usually growing above it. I have a 12 watt Full spectrum led grow light -Red 630nm and 660nm, Blue:460nm and White light 2700K above it. Aqua ultra violet 15 watt uv, and my return pump is a Tam Rio 2500. I only have a couple bubble tips, sailfin tang, and a foxface in the tank right now.
ph is at 8, alkalinity is at 9dkh, (bit low I think). Nitrates over 50, phosphates and ammonia 0. Nitrites 0.
oh yeah, and hair algae is constantly killing my Chaeto. but regardless of health of chaeto, or cleanliness, etc. nitrates are an issue.
Phosphates are too low for Chaeto growth. Chaeto might also need trace elements. Try ChatoGro.

If messing around with growing algae is not interesting, try vinegar dosing, aka carbon dosing. But you still need to get the nitrates up.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates are too low for Chaeto growth. Chaeto might also need trace elements. Try ChatoGro.

If messing around with growing algae is not interesting, try vinegar dosing, aka carbon dosing. But you still need to get the nitrates up.
Did you actually read his values?

Over 50 nitrates and 1.0 phosphates

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, did you?

Nitrates over 50, phosphates and ammonia 0. Nitrites 0.

Did you though? :)

OP
OP
Rogue_Mechanic

Rogue_Mechanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those are your numbers both n03 and p04 are high that phosphate level is extremely high for me. I would take mechanical filtration measures make sure you have quality filter socks and skimming in place and cleaned every couple days, and with those numbers u would use some chemical for of nutrient removal such as gfo, also something for nitrates with a value over 50 thats very high for me I am not sure what they have for nitrate removal right now but both numbers are extremely high do you do waterchanges and have mechanical filtration, how do you values get that high? How long has this system been set up?
System is over 5 years old. And yes I agree nitrates are way to high.
filter socks in place, and the skimmer is constantly giving good removal. That’s why I’m at a loss. Having both the no3 and po4 being high. Is it possible for my marine pure to be hurting instead of helping? I guess I’ll have to start a heavy disturbing of live rock and just change the socks out every day or so. See if it makes a difference? I’ll look into the gfo.

OP
OP
Rogue_Mechanic

Rogue_Mechanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other question would be… If I rapidly pull phosphates won’t I interrupt the nitrate removal cycle?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other question would be… If I rapidly pull phosphates won’t I interrupt the nitrate removal cycle?
If you pull them to zero. Just lower them a small amount. Those numbers aren't crazy high I would monitor them while carbon dosing and bacteria dosing but that's me I use a couple different bacterias and have been using tropic marins carbon products I like it that way but I can't say what's best for your system.

You mentioned cleaning I dust my rocks all the time with a turkey baster and my filter socks fill up every 3 days so I have to change them no choice.

OP
OP
Rogue_Mechanic

Rogue_Mechanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I may have some buildup in the rocks.l’m due for a water change this weekend. just curious what bacteria do
you like to use?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now these 3 are what I am using

The fauna marine I have only been using for a few months but I actually like it, I like the way it mixes and smells

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 92 42.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 109 49.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.2%
Back