OP
Kimmi2413

Kimmi2413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alk level of the Red Sea blue bucket should be around 8.0 when mixed properly. So this would lower the alk of your tank assuming your tank had a higher alk. As well doing a 5 G water change is not going to cause your alk to move much at all. So like Fishfinder offered, this is most likely test error.

Yes, that is pretty much the only conclusion we are left with.

Dennis

Tested twice and came up with the same result. I started with dry rock not sure of the name. Tank is about 8months old and it’s bare bottom also.

OP
OP
Kimmi2413

Kimmi2413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some rock and sand will increase alkalinity. What do you have for those? I have been dosing Acid Buffer to my new setup because my Real Reef rock causes my alkalinity to rise by 1 dKH every week. Once my newly added coral settles in, I won't have that issue and I will need to start dosing alkalinity.

I wouldn't start dosing potassium or sodium NO3 personally as it can upset the balance of building blocks available in your system. Increasing NO3 can drive down PO4 and vice versa. I think it is wiser to let your tank manage this number on its own through food input/processed organics. Dosing NO3 might get you a jumpstart in color, but I think a more stable food chain source is best and reliable.

I started with dry rock and sand not sure of the names but I also went bare bottom a few months ago. My tanks been up and running for about 8months now

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back