Nitrates

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I get my nitrates up from zero? They were at 5 now 0

Take your skimmer off line during the day and on at night.

Feed a little more.

Dose kn03 or sodium nitrate.

What’s your phosphate at? There is a relationship between N03 and P04.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My po4 right now is reading 0 but can’t be because I have a bit of gha growing

Agreed, hobby test kits often for P04 don’t measure low enough. Nuisance algae typically can take off if P04 is higher than N03.

Most of the time having N03 at 5-10 and P04 at trace 0.02 will correct, in time, nuisance algae issues.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, some nuisance algaes actually thrive and live off ammonia in the system (fish waste)... this is the case sometimes when algae is present in no nitrate/phosphate environments.

Last edited:

Nick30G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about nitrates being 0. I would not want 0 Phosphate and Nitrate however. I like to run 0 Nitrates and 0.030 Phosphate for the corals.

OP
OP
Kimmi2413

Kimmi2413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, hobby test kits often for P04 don’t measure low enough. Nuisance algae typically can take off if P04 is higher than N03.

Most of the time having N03 at 5-10 and P04 at trace 0.02 will correct, in time, nuisance algae issues.

Yes I’m starting to get that so tested my parameters and nitrates went to zero and Hanna checker for phos also showed zero

dave57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you recently make any changes to your system?

I would also recommend extra feedings, potassium nitrate, dry skim, more fish,

Don’t do all these too quickly or all at the same time as this can exacerbate other problems. Pick one and do it slowly and go from there..

If you’re carbon dosing lower the dose don’t just abruptly stop it.

OP
OP
Kimmi2413

Kimmi2413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does having zero nitrate make your alk go up? Now my alk is going up and I’m not dosing alk

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does having zero nitrate make your alk go up? Now my alk is going up and I’m not dosing alk

If you are dosing 2 part on a doser and your nitrates bottom out, your growth may slow and your alk will go up as it is not being consumed at the rate it was when nitrates were available. This situation often leads to alk spikes and can cause problems for SPS who dislike alk spikes and especially dislike them in times of nutrient limitation.

Update: I just noticed where you said you were not dosing alk. There can be another cause, when nitrate is consumed, alkalinity is returned to the water column. In equal fashion, during nitrification, alkalinity is consumed, and the consumption and return of alkalinity is equal. So if your nitrate recently dropped by a significant amount, then your alkalinity could increase. So if you are dosing nitrates directly, you are actually dosing alkalinity as well (or will be when the nitrate is used).

Dennis

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kimmi2413

Kimmi2413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are dosing 2 part on a doser and your nitrates bottom out, your growth may slow and your alk will go up as it is not being consumed at the rate it was when nitrates were available. This situation often leads to alk spikes and can cause problems for SPS who dislike alk spikes and especially dislike them in times of nutrient limitation.

Update: I just noticed where you said you were not dosing alk. There can be another cause, when nitrate is consumed, alkalinity is returned to the water column. In equal fashion, during nitrification, alkalinity is consumed, and the consumption and return of alkalinity is equal. So if your nitrate recently dropped by a significant amount, then your alkalinity could increase. So if you are dosing nitrates directly, you are actually dosing alkalinity as well (or will be when the nitrate is used).

Dennis

At the moment I’m not dosing anything. Last thing I did was a wc and alk was at 8.6 now there going up and it’s at 9.0 and nitrates are still at zero

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment I’m not dosing anything. Last thing I did was a wc and alk was at 8.6 now there going up and it’s at 9.0 and nitrates are still at zero

Hmm, OK so what is the Alk of your new water? Also how much of a change did you do? Because if nitrates are zero, and you are not dosing, then the only explanation is that the new saltwater had a much higher alkalinity then the tank, and you changed enough water to have an impact on the tank alkalinity.

Dennis

OP
OP
Kimmi2413

Kimmi2413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, OK so what is the Alk of your new water? Also how much of a change did you do? Because if nitrates are zero, and you are not dosing, then the only explanation is that the new saltwater had a much higher alkalinity then the tank, and you changed enough water to have an impact on the tank alkalinity.

Dennis

Not sure but I use Red Sea blue bucket. After the water change my alk was 8.6 and that was checked the next day after I did it. Then a few days later it jumped to 9. I only do 5g wc in a 54g every two weeks

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some rock and sand will increase alkalinity. What do you have for those? I have been dosing Acid Buffer to my new setup because my Real Reef rock causes my alkalinity to rise by 1 dKH every week. Once my newly added coral settles in, I won't have that issue and I will need to start dosing alkalinity.

I wouldn't start dosing potassium or sodium NO3 personally as it can upset the balance of building blocks available in your system. Increasing NO3 can drive down PO4 and vice versa. I think it is wiser to let your tank manage this number on its own through food input/processed organics. Dosing NO3 might get you a jumpstart in color, but I think a more stable food chain source is best and reliable.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure but I use Red Sea blue bucket. After the water change my alk was 8.6 and that was checked the next day after I did it. Then a few days later it jumped to 9. I only do 5g wc in a 54g every two weeks
The alk level of the Red Sea blue bucket should be around 8.0 when mixed properly. So this would lower the alk of your tank assuming your tank had a higher alk. As well doing a 5 G water change is not going to cause your alk to move much at all. So like Fishfinder offered, this is most likely test error.

I would assume test error for the alk change
Yes, that is pretty much the only conclusion we are left with.

Dennis

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back