Nitrites aren't going down?

Lil' RegalReefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I have a Red Sea Reefer 450 and I started cycling my tank about 2 weeks ago. It has plenty of sand dry live rock and a couple of marine pure bricks. I am using Microbacter start XLM and I have followed all the instructions correctly. I used pure ammonium chloride as my nitrogen source. I dosed the ammonia to around 3 mg/L and after 3 days it was completely gone as indicated by three different test kits. The Nitrites went up to 4 mg/L and after two days dropped to 2 mg/L (the Nitrates went up to 100+ mg/L and did not change). After a week and a half, the nitrites did not drop whatsoever. I then decided to do a 75 percent water last night to remove excess trites and trates. This morning I tested the water again and the trites and trates remained the EXACT SAME. I double-checked with two other types of test kits and they both gave the same results. Am I missing something? please advise ( the trites tested at 2mg/L and the trates tested at 60-100mg/L)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We now use your stated params and timeframes to deem the cycle done, not stalled. Change out as much algae fuel cycling water and begin/ ammonia control + timeframes on bottle directions have been met. Regarding nitrite control consider this, we dont care to know it:

In any of my cycling threads you can start and be reefing lightly/ use what you established. Other approaches have you wait as long as an unassisted cycle chart shows though you bought products able to speed up that process, shown by the quick ammonia processing.

The number one assessment old school cycling states is that you are stalled, cannot begin.

The number one rule for new cycling science says you can begin since you've met time frames and ammonia control after direct inoculation

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're excluding nitrite and nitrate from the assessment though

ammonia already demonstrated controlled. Your stated nitrite params can be found in hundreds of posts doesn't mean the readings are correct. And if they are, nitrite is neutral it doesn't factor.

Nitrate by rule is produced in your ammonia oxidation, we dont need to see your measures to know about it. It's inferred from ammonia performance after inoculation. We have threads showing 50 ppm nitrate readings on a given sample between two brands, if you stated zero nitrate everyone would think you're stalled but could really be at 40 ppm

Using ammonia only cycling clearly has benefits beyond eliminating misreads.

New cycling science knows reef cycles don't stall, it's why all the sales tanks at macna have no trouble setting up shop then back home after, for 20 years.

How your tests read beyond ammonia control only matters if you use old cycling approaches. They're able to start macna reef conventions by using the new ways

however long it takes non digital test kits to register zero on numbers that are never zero in reefing is opposite of your allowed start date, depending on what kind of cycling you run.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the truth is waiting a full month is no harm and the tests will likely line up by then

we just nerd out on earliest possible start date since everyone's in a rush nowadays w deadlines lol

If it's less confusing here's an application thread where we take stalled readings, do a full water change after the submersion time was in place, then re test to prove a cycle using ammonia only.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We like to advise choosing a fish disease protocol before adding them, first fish in brings in disease unless you choose quarantined / prepped ones for the new tank, but it can handle fish after your water change to whichever degree you can do. In my tank builds fish are delayed so the new tank uglies won’t get heavy fish fish loading and feeding, it’s ideal to begin with a clean up crew and some starter corals and slowly bring lighting up to production levels, start low so you won’t drive uglies too far and when rocks start to develop algae, clean it off vs accumulate it

clean like a new garden is manually kept clean until coral density and maturity excludes having to do much work

Last edited:
Back