Nitrite Toxicity

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have an aquarium system that has about 45gallons of water cycling so I Let it cycle for about week and I added seeded marine pure ceramic balls and the bacteria in a bottle. I had no choice but to add my 2 clownfish from my quarantine into the tank.. because I needed to put a sick fish into it.. so I’m seeing nitrites and no ammonia.. I saw an article stating that nitrite to saltwater fish is hardly toxic almost to a point that a hardy freshwater fish is about 1000x more susceptible to its toxicity then an average saltwater fish. Should I do a water change or just let the cycle continue?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to find out as well. This whole time since the first post we have purposefully excluded nitrite in hundreds of logged cycles

it makes sense how in some qt/hospital settings it might factor/regulating dosages of items or knowing when to watch for ammonia control breakdown...but in a display, we looked the other way

until that article I had not known it was such an impact difference between fw and sw.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy I have this question

do you have updated inputs on the link between nitrite accumulation during a cycle and suppression of ammonia nh3 control, specifically the claim that nitrite presence stalls a cycle such that we may not proceed safely?

in that arrangement, nitrite presence would have a consequence and we'd better know it.
***I do not doubt that the ammonia control-only, speed cycle approach may leave nitrite unready
we just want to know if it will ever matter in a safe start.

Last edited:

rebels23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the context of the question?

Sorry Randy, here is more context. My QT tank was completely cycled. I started adding fish in there. Was dosing prazi pro to de-worm and got through that dosage. Then did a 80% water change and my QT tank went down the tube....high ammonia, high nitrites (almost as if all the bacteria got wiped out). Now I am dealing with ich (or velvet), dosing Cuprmamine and have finally gotten ammonia down to .25 ppm. But Nitrites are reading 2ppm. I have been doing 25% water changes every day to get the nitrite down. If I don't have to be concerned about it, I will just monitor the ammonia. Your advice greatly appreciated.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy I have this question

do you have updated inputs on the link between nitrite accumulation during a cycle and suppression of ammonia nh3 control, specifically the claim that nitrite presence stalls a cycle such that we may not proceed safely?

in that arrangement, nitrite presence would have a consequence and we'd better know it.
***I do not doubt that the ammonia control-only, speed cycle approach may leave nitrite unready
we just want to know if it will ever matter in a safe start.

I don't have any data, but I'd be surprised if the presence of nitrite stalls a cycle.

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I until that article I had not known it was such an impact difference between fw and sw.

I’ve read that one way to help FW fish through a nitrite spike is to add a bit of salt to the water. Supposedly because chloride is selectively absorbed over nitrite at the gills.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additional patterns: we have never seen nitrite positivity negatively impact corals, or shrimp or cuc of any kind in our speed cycle setups.

thought it was neat that gill-less organisms as well in marine settings haven’t been affected with nitrite like they would with nh3 noncontrol

i cannot find nitrite impacts to marine filter bacteria, fish, corals, pods, worms, shrimp or anything we reef with

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a very helpful update. Participants in our cycling threads have saved lots of money by excluding nitrite from any factor in reef procedure and the best part is making their expected start dates

we will continue excluding the measure for another few years and rack up some posts to track. Though I don’t understand the chemistry aspects very well, the end point is nitrite has certainly not stalled any cycle we have ran or will undertake pending updates in 2022

when ammonia shows clear ability to move down (no zero needed) from a starting point thats been our signal to begin safely. When that actionable date coincides with the timeframe directions on the bottle bac then it seems doubly ok to begin, this is our green flag start mechanism we w keep using to track cycles for the next couple years and report back

Neoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a very helpful update. Participants in our cycling threads have saved lots of money by excluding nitrite from any factor in reef procedure and the best part is making their expected start dates

we will continue excluding the measure for another few years and rack up some posts to track. Though I don’t understand the chemistry aspects very well, the end point is nitrite has certainly not stalled any cycle we have ran or will undertake pending updates in 2022

when ammonia shows clear ability to move down (no zero needed) from a starting point thats been our signal to begin safely. When that actionable date coincides with the timeframe directions on the bottle bac then it seems doubly ok to begin, this is our green flag start mechanism we w keep using to track cycles for the next couple years and report back
So if my nitrates have spiked, is that going to be an issue? I am looking to replace my test kit, API is not giving me consistent readings

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if my nitrates have spiked, is that going to be an issue? I am looking to replace my test kit, API is not giving me consistent readings
I mean your nitrite would have to be like 25ppm+ Even then it’s a slow acting issue.. just do a water change

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neoma

if nitrate spikes that’s ok, some reef tanks like Paul B’s run at 160 ppm

if nitrite spikes, doesnt matter at all, stop testing for it in display tank reefing :)

My recommend is to never own the test kit, it causes massive hesitation and repeat purchases and doubt across the spectrum of possible reef doubt

Neoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean your nitrite would have to be like 25ppm+ Even then it’s a slow acting issue.. just do a water change
It's almost 20 ppm, and I just did a water change! also tested my tap water just to see if it's a viable source, it has 10 ppm nitrate! But I will be doing another tonight

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back