Nitrites have been 2.0 ppm for a few days.

  • Thread starter Thread starter ipubby
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ipubby

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 14, 2026
Messages
35
Reaction score
19
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cycling my tank right now. I used turbo start 900 and dr Tim’s ammonia. I started on the 5th of September and since the 9th my nitrates have still the same at 2.0ppm. My ammonia is at 0 and my nitrates are 20. I am kinda bad with telling different colors too on the api test.

Is my tank stalled and what can I do?
 
Last edited:
I used turbo start 900 and dr Tim’s ammonia. I started on the 5th of September and since the 9th my nitrates have still the same at 2.0ppm. My ammonia is at 0 and my nitrates are 20. I am kinda bad with telling different colors too on the api test.

Is my tank stalled and what can I do?
You're in good shape. As mentioned, cycles don't stall. Nitrite is non-toxic and not an issue in saltwater. If you're ammonia went form about 2.00 ppm to 0.00 ppm, you should be safe to start slowly stocking some hardy animals.
 
Cycles don't stall. I only test nitrate when cycling. If I see nitrate I know ammonia is being processed and I slowly move forward. Nitrite in not toxic to marine fish like it is freshwater.

I am cycling my tank now. Should I put my clowns in there? They are almost done the in the QT.
 
Last edited:
I used turbo start 900 and dr Tim’s ammonia. I started on the 5th of September and since the 9th my nitrates have still the same at 2.0ppm. My ammonia is at 0 and my nitrates are 20. I am kinda bad with telling different colors too on the api test.

Is my tank stalled and what can I do?
You're in good shape. As mentioned, cycles don't stall. Nitrite is non-toxic and not an issue in saltwater. If you're ammonia went form about 2.00 ppm to 0.00 ppm, you should be safe to start slowly stocking some hardy animals.
I have a pair of clownfish in my quarantine tank. I’m going to wait a few more days to put them in.
 
FWIW, if nitrite is 2 ppm, you may not have much nitrate since a little nitrite reads falsely as a lot of nitrate with most kits. The nitrite is not a tox concern as it is in freshwater.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new