Nitrites in established tank

nkdnko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I recently got reef roids to feed my corals (and they love it) but I think it has caused a nitrite spike that won’t go away. I’m not sure if I should be concerned.

my nitrates seem pretty high at 10-20 as well but I know the presence of nitrites can make the nitrate test unreliable.

ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0.25
Nitrate - 10-20

the tank is a 25gal and has 5 small fish and 3 anemones. It’s been running for about a year now and all the live stock seem pretty much fine.

I did a water change of about 10-20% and it didn’t really change the params either.

should I panic?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I recently got reef roids to feed my corals (and they love it) but I think it has caused a nitrite spike that won’t go away. I’m not sure if I should be concerned.

my nitrates seem pretty high at 10-20 as well but I know the presence of nitrites can make the nitrate test unreliable.

ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0.25
Nitrate - 10-20

the tank is a 25gal and has 5 small fish and 3 anemones. It’s been running for about a year now and all the live stock seem pretty much fine.

I did a water change of about 10-20% and it didn’t really change the params either.

should I panic?

37091B3E-AE2E-4C41-8E46-CAAD106EA501.jpeg

What test kits are you using and are they within expiration dates?

OP
OP
N

nkdnko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is only a mild concern maybe get some soft coral or macro algae because they are just Nitrate sponges they use your nitrates for growth.
I picked up some morphs and zoas yesterday. Are these too small to along every it up? Any recommendation on a specific coral?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API kits + red sea

both kits are in date show pretty much the same results so I don’t think it’s a misreading or anything

Okay, foods as they decompose (rot) will be consumed by bacteria, that's if they aren't consumed by living organisms first.

It may be common to register some nitrite because of this. Your nitrate is common and not a concern.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back