Nitrofuracin Green? Safe/Unsafe?

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about a week ago I was at one of my lfs and the owner gave me a free sample of 2 doses of nitrofuracin green. He told me he uses this to treat every one of his fish for a majority of any of their illnesses and that it works great, just turns water green.

how accurate is his information? just wondering going forward + since I am dealing with an ich outbreak if it would give any of my fish relief for certain illnesses

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrofuracin Green Powder contains the following: Nitrofurazone, Sulfathiazole Sodium, Methylene Blue and sodium chloride.

It is an excellent antibiotic and healing agent. The latter being useful for ammonia burn, or cuts/injuries on a fish. However, there is nothing about it that is useful for treating ich ... unless the fish were to develop a secondary bacterial infection.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful with gobies. I treated two with MB and they went crazy and died. Very weird. I mean crazy jumping. I cannot be absolutely positive it was the MB, but I only treated with formalin and MB and I have had other gobies treated with formalin in past no issues. Could have been just them too as they were new.

Voltaire81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack, but Im currently treating fish with Nitrofuracin Green Powder.

I noticed during day 3 of TTM that the fish (bellus and wattanabei angels) were not swimming well and not eating. I tested the tank and had 0.25-0.5 Ammonia.

For the next transfer, I added Nitrofuracin Green Powder and followed directions that came with the powder (change 25% water daily).

Im now on day 4 of the treatment and fish are doing very well. Eating and swimming well.

Question is do I follow the instructions and continue to treat for 10 days - 6 more days to go? or can i stop?
I dont mind continuing at all, but obviously more convenient if I can stop.

@Humblefish

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question is do I follow the instructions and continue to treat for 10 days - 6 more days to go? or can i stop?

When using antibiotics, it's always best to treat for 10 consecutive days. To be sure you've got the infection knocked out and it doesn't come back.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back