Illness advice and diagnoses help

megtrax17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again. Im thinking my flame angel has ich and velvet or one or the other. Im hoping someone can help me identify it. It seems to be the only fish infected so I set a trap… however it’s been a few days and no luck I can’t catch the little bugger. Tearing everything out isn’t an option because of how much rock and corals there are… it’ll be last resort.

So for now I’ve been treating with rally pro and kick ick. Anyone have luck with those RECENTLY? I saw other forums but the posts I found were old.

If I can’t catch him how should I proceed? I’m feeding garlic soaked food and his appetite is great. He shows no signs of illness, the only time I can see the spots is when moonlight comes on. I’m on day 4 of dosing per instructions.

Pics for those who can’t view the video (can be viewed on desktop/computer). However the video shows the best.

IMG_7859.png IMG_7860.png

Attachments

• IMG_7858.mov
    72 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello again. Im thinking my flame angel has ich and velvet or one or the other. Im hoping someone can help me identify it. It seems to be the only fish infected so I set a trap… however it’s been a few days and no luck I can’t catch the little bugger. Tearing everything out isn’t an option because of how much rock and corals there are… it’ll be last resort.

So for now I’ve been treating with rally pro and kick ick. Anyone have luck with those RECENTLY? I saw other forums but the posts I found were old.

If I can’t catch him how should I proceed? I’m feeding garlic soaked food and his appetite is great. He shows no signs of illness, the only time I can see the spots is when moonlight comes on. I’m on day 4 of dosing per instructions.

Pics for those who can’t view the video (can be viewed on desktop/computer). However the video shows the best.

IMG_7859.png IMG_7860.png
I suspect ich but wont conclude on that as the fish is at an angle in pics and the images are dark in heavy bue lighting.
Please repost under white light intensity or even a video under white light to see the fish, breathing rate, etc.
Is fish still eating?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn’t velvet - the angel is swimming normally and picking at the rocks.

I can see some distinct white spots on the tail fin, those look like ich, but the white cast to its head doesn’t.

Can you try for clearer videos under whiter light?

Kicks Ich really has a poor track record and rally pro doesn’t work well for Ich either.

Jay

OP
OP
megtrax17

megtrax17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect ich but wont conclude on that as the fish is at an angle in pics and the images are dark in heavy bue lighting.
Please repost under white light intensity or even a video under white light to see the fish, breathing rate, etc.
Is fish still eating?
Yes the fish is eating great. You can’t see the spots at all in white lighting. I just noticed today that some other fish now have spots too. Which means the meds probably aren’t working since they work in free floating form. If they aren’t gone by the last day I’ll need to pull them and treat them in QT somehow.

OP
OP
megtrax17

megtrax17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can see some distinct white spots on the tail fin, those look like ich, but the white cast to its head doesn’t.

Kicks Ich really has a poor track record and rally pro doesn’t work well for Ich either.

Jay
Yeah some other fish had white spots today which means I don’t think the meds are working. I’m gonna have to figure out how to catch them and get them all out somehow. The spots don’t show at all under white light which is kind of weird.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah some other fish had white spots today which means I don’t think the meds are working. I’m gonna have to figure out how to catch them and get them all out somehow. The spots don’t show at all under white light which is kind of weird.
Garlic is not a cure but rather an immunity booster. Would like to see pics/video of other fish but likely you will need to set up quarantine again and treat with coppersafe for a full 30 days. You will also want to increase oxygen with an air stone during treatment and monitor copper level with a reliable copper kit such as Hanna brand

OP
OP
megtrax17

megtrax17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Yeah some other fish had white spots today which means I don’t think the meds are working. I’m gonna have to figure out how to catch them and get them all out somehow.
Garlic is not a cure but rather an immunity booster. Would like to see pics/video of other fish but likely you will need to set up quarantine again and treat with coppersafe for a full 30 days. You will also want to increase oxygen with an air stone during treatment and monitor copper level with a reliable copper kit such as Hanna brand
thanks for the advice! Haven’t quite figured out how to catch them especially my wrasse

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah some other fish had white spots today which means I don’t think the meds are working. I’m gonna have to figure out how to catch them and get them all out somehow.

thanks for the advice! Haven’t quite figured out how to catch them especially my wrasse
Either fish trap or you may have to remove rocks

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I tried a fish trap but it’s only been a few days. They’re pretty smart. The rocks are covered in coral but I may have to figure it out somehow.
Be smarter than them. Here is what I do and I ALWAYS catch them:
Add brine shrimp or their favorite food to the trap. Open the door and allow them to swim in and eat. Next day, repeat the same ( now they've built trust). In the evening place food and when they go in - Trap them

OP
OP
megtrax17

megtrax17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be smarter than them. Here is what I do and I ALWAYS catch them:
Add brine shrimp or their favorite food to the trap. Open the door and allow them to swim in and eat. Next day, repeat the same ( now they've built trust). In the evening place food and when they go in - Trap them
That’s what I’ve been doing, the wrasse and angel refuse. The clowns were pretty easy!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah - the blue versus white lights is an issue; some things show up better under blue light, but in general, that doesn't translate to photographs very well. That's why videos under white light are the best way to go - it allows me to see the fish's overall demeanor, check its respiration rate, and then, as the fish moves, I can sometimes get a good view of the skin for any spots.

OP
OP
megtrax17

megtrax17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - the blue versus white lights is an issue; some things show up better under blue light, but in general, that doesn't translate to photographs very well. That's why videos under white light are the best way to go - it allows me to see the fish's overall demeanor, check its respiration rate, and then, as the fish moves, I can sometimes get a good view of the skin for any spots.
I use a special lens that clips on my phone. The angel is acting fine but I see lots of scratching behavior this is what the spots look like under white, almost translucent like they aren’t even there. I managed to get these few photos that show SOME spots on the fins.

Attachments

• IMG_7908.jpeg
    IMG_7908.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7902.jpeg
    IMG_7902.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7900.jpeg
    IMG_7900.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 16

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a special lens that clips on my phone. The angel is acting fine but I see lots of scratching behavior this is what the spots look like under white, almost translucent like they aren’t even there. I managed to get these few photos that show SOME spots on the fins.
My flame had similar spots on its tail when I got it and I thought it was ick(doesn't mean yours isnt) but my LFS had me do a dose of API Melafix. I did it in the entire display tank as I have no QT. Gone and no issues since. He was the only fish that had it but I saw it the day I put him in. (Warning this will make your skimmer go bonkers)

OP
OP
megtrax17

megtrax17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame had similar spots on its tail when I got it and I thought it was ick(doesn't mean yours isnt) but my LFS had me do a dose of API Melafix. I did it in the entire display tank as I have no QT. Gone and no issues since. He was the only fish that had it but I saw it the day I put him in. (Warning this will make your skimmer go bonkers)
Interesting. It is slightly different than any ick I’ve experienced with not being able to see it as well under white light. I’ll try that next! Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the third photo, there are clearly distinct white spots on the angel's left pectoral fin. That is a hallmark of ich, but can also be other things like mucus, dust motes, and broken fin rays. Still, IMO, there is something going on here - ich, flukes (due to the scratching) or both.

OP
OP
megtrax17

megtrax17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the third photo, there are clearly distinct white spots on the angel's left pectoral fin. That is a hallmark of ich, but can also be other things like mucus, dust motes, and broken fin rays. Still, IMO, there is something going on here - ich, flukes (due to the scratching) or both.
Deff scratching! I did some metroplex soaked food as well. The spots are actually worse than the photo portrays. He’s so fast I have to catch a photo at the right second. I do have a microscope so if I manage to catch him in gonna possibly try to get a sample

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deff scratching! I did some metroplex soaked food as well. The spots are actually worse than the photo portrays. He’s so fast I have to catch a photo at the right second. I do have a microscope so if I manage to catch him in gonna possibly try to get a sample

You may be battling both ich and flukes. Hyposalinity (no invertebrates of course) will work for both issues and the same time:

Just an FYI - soaking metroplex in food won't work unless you get the dose correct, and bind it with the food so that it doesn't rinse off. Here is an article about that:

Jay

OP
OP
megtrax17

megtrax17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be battling both ich and flukes. Hyposalinity (no invertebrates of course) will work for both issues and the same time:

Just an FYI - soaking metroplex in food won't work unless you get the dose correct, and bind it with the food so that it doesn't rinse off. Here is an article about that:

Jay
I FINALLY caught all the fish and they are officially in a quarantine tank. Display is left with my coral and inverts. Including a cleaner shrimp. How long should my display be empty? Can I speed this process up at all?

What meds should I treat for the quarantine? I was soaking metroplex with focus and garlic and the food of course.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back