OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the one you've chose is good. Its what most would recommend if you aren't doing a more expensive one from BRS. I just remember finding a chart out somewhere that had the prices and there's were more expensive. But its all less than going and buying water.

And all of them are going to have serious waste. Like a 1/4 ratio some less but you're gonna get like 1 gallon for every 4 or something. Take one or two less baths and take a shower and they even out really. Filling up your bath tub is a lot of wasted water.
Lol okay I will go with that one then....I just wont shower for a couple of days since I don't take baths lol

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol okay I will go with that one then....I just wont shower for a couple of days since I don't take baths lol
Well I think you can still take your shower just take 2 mins less twice a week and fhay should be your entire waterchange. When you look at it you're only going to change 10 to 20% weekly or other weekly probably and the tank won't hold 29 gallons bc of rock and sand taking up space. So you should actually have a little less than or right at 25gallons of water. So a 2.5gal change or 5gal change is only 10 or 20gallons of total water.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll also want a TDS tester to make sure you know when the canisters are depleted. You can find them really cheap or some units come with them as a bonus. The model you chose the media changed colors to let you know when to change it but the TDS would tell you for sure. Also a refractometer or hydrometer to know your salinity is correct.
Yeah I was thinking this tds meter and refractometer. Thoughts?

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont use an auto top off system either. Later u could look into one. I just have a sharpie mark on the back of my tank I look at where it is everyday when I got to feed fish and add usually 3 cups of water to get back to the mark. ATOs are a convenience thing but on huge tanks very necessary you don't want to dump a 5 gal everyday by hand.
3 cups a day? Do you have a cover glass or screen?

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think you can still take your shower just take 2 mins less twice a week and fhay should be your entire waterchange. When you look at it you're only going to change 10 to 20% weekly or other weekly probably and the tank won't hold 29 gallons bc of rock and sand taking up space. So you should actually have a little less than or right at 25gallons of water. So a 2.5gal change or 5gal change is only 10 or 20gallons of total water.
Yeah that's true was planning on doing 5 gallons a week....I guess I have to shower

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 cups a day? Do you have a cover glass or screen?
I have a screen i use some of the day but no glass. If I'm not home the screen goes on the tank for sure. But yeah most days its only around 3 cup falls of RODI and I should be more specific. The cup is a pint. So its 3 pints lol definitely less than a half gallon a day.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a screen i use some of the day but no glass. If I'm not home the screen goes on the tank for sure. But yeah most days its only around 3 cup falls of RODI and I should be more specific. The cup is a pint. So its 3 pints lol definitely less than a half gallon a day.
Okay thank you for all the information....maybe I should have started a build thread and asked all these questions there

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you for all the information....maybe I should have started a build thread and asked all these questions there
Well you can start a build thread anytime lol then put a message here and anyone who finds this can click your name and go there. But I would definitely start a build thread.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do for the 29gallon just click my name. It even has all my cycling readings from using Dr. TIMS. Its been up for a little over a month and a half.
I saw you got 23 lbs of caribsea dry rock....did you put it all in? I ordered 25 lbs of dry rock and I'm thinking I should have maybe ordered 35 lbs.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats all 23 lbs. Realistically I would have put more in there but all the other pieces they had at the time were huge. I would have had to break them and just didn't feel like it. If I had to do it again I would go higher. The thing about a 29gallon is it has pretty good height. I bought shaped carib sea rock so it has caves and holes in it. Also bought an arch that the clowns don't go under so a rock might go there eventually as well to close up some space there.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock is part of your filtration in a saltwater tank so put in as much as you want just make sure the fish have plenty of space. I may eventually end up with 30 to 35lbs if I change it

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock is part of your filtration in a saltwater tank so put in as much as you want just make sure the fish have plenty of space. I may eventually end up with 30 to 35lbs if I change it
Yeah I was thinking going 35 lbs.....what light do you currently have on your tank? didn't see you mention it unless I missed it.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was thinking going 35 lbs.....what light do you currently have on your tank? didn't see you mention it unless I missed it.
I have a Nicrew reef led that mounts across it. It does what I need it to do. I dont want sps for awhile. It puts out enough par for soft and lps plus it has a controller so I can set my blues to come on at certain times of day and set my whites to come on at a certain time. I would recommend other things to other people but I personally really like it. You can do a black box or a couple other things for a little more and grow sps. But until I decide I want to grow sps I'm good.

Thats essentially it. I wanted it to be able to control or time its self.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nicrew reef led that mounts across it. It does what I need it to do. I dont want sps for awhile. It puts out enough par for soft and lps plus it has a controller so I can set my blues to come on at certain times of day and set my whites to come on at a certain time. I would recommend other things to other people but I personally really like it. You can do a black box or a couple other things for a little more and grow sps. But until I decide I want to grow sps I'm good.

Thats essentially it. I wanted it to be able to control or time its self.

Nice and not bad for the money....I had seen those but didn't know if it was enough par to grow anything but I guess it does may look into it again....

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice and not bad for the money....I had seen those but didn't know if it was enough par to grow anything but I guess it does may look into it again....
Like i said there are other options but I can say it definitely grows lps and soft corals. But I think there are much better light options there aren't many better programming options under $200. Also the 29 gallon is a little deeper tank. I think it would work really well on a 20gallon long. I will eventually upgrade it to an AI prime 16HD or a kessil aA360 probably next. The light was given to me so I figured no reason to spend $200. It was new though. So not used.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 77.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.9%
Back