Nitrogenous nutrient uptake in corals including amino acids

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

I stumbled across a paper written a few years ago regarding a test checking amino acid uptake in corals. The paper also investigated the percentage each source of food comprised.

The test showed competitive rates of absorption of amino acids into coral tissue. Please note only 11 of the 20 commonly available AA were tested.

A566AF7B-4190-4549-A58D-BB40CCB0E38E.png

Further on they measured in their sample that their daily uptake was broken down as:
Urea: 3%
Amino acids: 21%
NH4 & NO3: 75%

The remaining 1% was not disclosed.

3F6C9115-588B-4533-8F60-8F298E8AE8F3.png

Amino acid uptake was very rapid. This is the first paper I have read that shows evidence for using amino acids in our reefs. I don’t use them personally but I might be tempted in the future to use them. The interesting part for me was that the paper shows that NO3 is directly taken in by the coral. Something that is contentious amongst our community.

How does this change your idea on nitrogenous nutrients in the reef aquarium? All comments and discussions are welcome but please keep to the topic and keep it civil.

Link to the article:

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But why is this a suprise?
amino acids intake and need in coral is well documented.
The zooxanthellae symbiotic relationship with coral is exactly that.
The zooxanthellae is embedded inside coral tissue. Zooxanthellae is photosynthetic algae, they use light to metabolize carbon, nitrogen amd phosphorus and produce amino acids and carbohydrates as waste that feed the coral itself...
Coral needs amino acids along side other

Redsea made this noce video years ago..that's how they explain their nopox program development

OP
OP
ZaneTer

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a surprise. I’m just the kind of reefer that likes to see detailed evidence when something is claimed. The claim being corals take in amino acids. That’s great but which ones and how much?

I don’t think it has been particularly well documented at all. Show me what amino acids are inside the current additives.

@Ohashimz
Do you dose AA? Do you know which ones you are dosing?

OP
OP
ZaneTer

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an engineer (Controls and Automation) so my first questions to most things is how and why. I question everything in the pursuit of a better understanding.

OP
OP
ZaneTer

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I see that there is 20 types of amino acids available.
L-Glutamine
L-Lysine
L-Arginine
L-Leucine
L-Isoleucine
L-Valine
Glycine
L-Methionine
L-Phenylalanine
L-Serine
L-Threonine
L-Tyrosine
L-Histidine
L-Alanine
L-Aspartic acid
L-Proline
L-Taurine
L-Tryptophan
L-Cysteine

The short answer to your question about individual amino acid products is “I don’t know”
The report posted above does mention that uptake varies significantly between coral species. I don’t think it would be possible to do a single product that fits all needs unless all amino acids can be very quickly removed from the system. Perhaps via a skimmer, if this is the case I will definitely be dosing once per day and running my skimmer about 6hrs after dosing.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back