No algae in tank after 1 month?

ChickenJo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a fluval 13.5g, is something wrong at this point? My tank is still barren. This is after shrimp cycling and I have dry rock in the tank. Does this mean something is wrong? I ordered a bottle of corraline and I don't want to waste it by putting it into a tank that it won't grow in

kaylajoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any livestock in the tank? Parameters? It will take some time for algae to grow if there's nothing organic in there since cycle.

I agree adding coralline would be a waste of time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ChickenJo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any livestock in the tank? It will take some time if there's nothing organic in there since the shrimp.

I agree adding coralline would be a waste of time.
Currently no, there is nothing. What should I be doing? and what would be the issue with the coralline/what would I need for it to work.

Also thanks for the welcome!

kaylajoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline requires a stable tank and is slow growing, so it usually doesn't colonize until after green algaes, diatoms etc. have appeared.

So if the conditions aren't right (like in a new tank) it won't matter if you add the bottle, because the coralline won't establish until the right conditions are present.

If you are sure you're cycled, you can slowly start adding livestock to the tank and algae will inevitably start to appear once the nutrients are present and algae comes in with the other organisms. Have you thought at all about what you want in the tank?

Many people as beginners seem to find it easiest to add fish first, then move on to corals and other organisms as the tank matures, but there's some flexibility to it. If you add clean up crew organisms like snails, you will have to feed them since your tank is barren right now.

You could also get a piece of wet live rock to help seed some algae.

OP
OP
C

ChickenJo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline requires a stable tank and is slow growing, so it usually doesn't colonize until after green algaes, diatoms etc. have appeared.

So if the conditions aren't right (like in a new tank) it won't matter if you add the bottle, because the coralline won't establish until the right conditions are present.

If you are sure you're cycled, you can slowly start adding livestock to the tank and algae will inevitably start to appear once the nutrients are present and algae comes in with the other organisms. Have you thought at all about what you want in the tank?

Many people as beginners seem to find it easiest to add fish first, then move on to corals and other organisms as the tank matures, but there's some flexibility to it. If you add clean up crew organisms like snails, you will have to feed them since your tank is barren right now.

You could also get a piece of wet live rock to help seed some algae.
I'm just looking to do corals, and probably a cuc when I start to get some algae :)

You mentioned feeding the cuc, I wasn't aware that was something you could do, how do you feed them? I may consider getting a cuc now and feeding them if that will help

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome.im new here also ^_^
My understanding of algaes is something needs to seed it ( we add algae spores to the tank,otherwise it wont be there)
Like buying a hermit crab from your lfs and it has little bit of algae on its shell.as it rubs/ brushes past your dry rocks,bits fall off so to speak then settles in your tank.same as snail shells or piece of rock from lfs or friend that has algae on it.plus even a fish you bought at lfs and it been eating algae and as it poops it out it full of bacteria/ micro organisms and algae spores etc etc plus many other ways like airborne if another tank or sea is close i guess.using same net from another tank,on your hands etc etc.my tank just over 2 months old and still no algae ,my hermits been in around 2 weeks and 3 fish in last 2 weeks.but im sure if used a microscope it be growing slowly as one my hermits covered in algae more day by day as chills out on top rock right under lights all day then go scavenges at night

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for feeding cuc i only got red scarlet legged hermits x 3.
They eat any uneaten fish pellets that fall to sandbed.i bought some algae flakes.some oceans nutrition green algae sheets ( similar to nori,which can buy at chinese supermarkets or normal supermarkets but get 100% nori with no added herbs/ spices and dont get roasted.
My hermits eat the pellets and i bought a 55 cm coral feeder ( big turkey baster really but holds food in it better.) And i got couple frozen foods and there like shrimp arms/ body parts that i put in end of coral feeder and hermit grabs it off me lol.i turn power heads for little while while doing this so hermits come down off rocks and scavenge from sand bed.

20210523_112646.jpg 20210523_112702.jpg 20210523_112713.jpg 20210523_112814.jpg

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you wanna do corals and inverts only then you can turn off your flow and feed your corals any of the inverts will find little bits of the food to eat

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here video me feeding hermit frozen food.
After i add more fish im expecting the hermits to be bit more elusive through the day and wont be able to feed them.but until i got enough for them to clean up ( detritus/ algae and the such) then will feed them.mainly it just put frozen in and they find left overs that fish dont eat but sometimes do like in video just for giggles ^_^

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My newest edition a gold streaked blennie just in rocks all time apart from food time,darts out
Grabs food and back in lol but only been couple days.
But got lots like passage ways inbetween the rocks that purposely built for small fish for safety to hide or just wonder around them and made them small enough for small hermits to get inbetween

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once you add fish and start feeding those fish, the algae will come shortly after. Good luck.

If only add fish and dont add any corals with frag plugs or corals attached to rocks and add no cuc whatsoever and dry rocks/ dry sand etc etc.i get could be a algae eating fish in say a lfs and there is spores in the stomqch/ poop of the fish but what if fish you add has no algae spores in its poop? then where does the algae come from ? From the actual fish food provided it has algae in the food ?
Im not saying you wrong and im generally curious as i thought about this alot and even googled " where does algae in a fishtank come from if we dont add algae in some form "?

Birddog61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odds are You will get diatoms before algae. rock, glass and sand bed coverd in thin brown film , note this is not a bad thing just part of the first year

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back