No bones about it! Have you thought about keeping an invertebrate-only tank?

Have you thought about keeping an invertebrate-only tank?

• I currently have an invertebrate-only tank.

Votes: 25 11.1%
  • I have thought about keeping an invertebrate-only tank.

Votes: 45 19.9%
  • I am open to keeping an invertebrate-only tank in the future.

Votes: 57 25.2%
  • I am not interested in keeping an invertebrate-only tank.

Votes: 94 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No bones about it! Have you thought about keeping an invertebrate-only tank?

Whether it is a Rock Flower Anemones tank with shrimp or a softie-only tank with random inverts, have you ever had thoughts about keeping an invertebrate-only tank? Maybe you already have one and haven’t thought about it in those terms. Please let us know if an invertebrate only tank is interesting to you and if you were to plan an invert only tank what it would look like. Please share your ideas, tips, and recommendations about an invert only tank in the related discussion.

TheHarold_RFAisland.jpeg

Photo by @TheHarold

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.worldwidecorals.com

WWCBanner.png

“We differentiate ourselves from other vendors by offering our customers full transparency into our facility and practices. Setting the industry standard for shipping techniques, accurate high-quality photos, hard to find corals, and customer service. For some hobbyists buying live coral online can seem like a risky endeavor. At WWC our staff takes the worry out of the equation by culturing extremely healthy corals, giving you a hassle-free guarantee, and providing you with a full online customer service team to ensure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.”

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After seeing @OrchidMiss 's mantis shrimp tank, I want a "Murderbug" of my own. I'll likely set up an AIO after the holidays.

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts all the way!!! :star-struck:

Not too many fish options with the smaller nano tanks. I wouldn't even consider keeping the smallest goby in a tank less than 10 gallons, so if you nano, inverts are the way to go! I find them easily just as interesting as fish.

dank.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently keep and invert tank were all incoming corals and other various inverts IE snails, shrimp, crabs are qt'd for 90 days before going into the display. It gives ample time for any encysted viruses to run their course and any coral pests time to show themselves before infecting my main tank. I had never thought of it as more than a QT tank but it is a 100% invert tank. It is just a simple 20g with an HOB skimmer some live rock and a canister filter with some chemipure in it. every 90 days or so the inhabitants are changed out for someone new.

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current in process build will be inverts and corals, no fish. Additional corals, crabs and shrimp coming soon.

Attachments

• 20231128_171037.jpg
    20231128_171037.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20230916_145358_0000.png
    20230916_145358_0000.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 47

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yes, I have a Waterbox 15 that houses my Dark Mantis Shrimp, Neogonodactylus curacaoensis, Murderbug.
murderbug1.jpg

Rock flowers and some coral will eventually be added, as well as some more little crabs (snackies).

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 40g AIO tanks. One is coral, anemones & feather dusters with a CUC. The other is all local (Florida) collected critters (including a 3" mantis shrimp) and 2 clowns that are a 'rescue' from a friend.

I find these tanks to require FAR less maintenance than the previous reef tanks I've had... both big and small, both with and without sumps or refugiums!

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the 80s. Many a reef tank at the LFS were just that plus soft corals. All that was needed was a 20g plus live rock winch often brought it's own soft corals and inverts. Not everyone cured their live rock back then best I remembered.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someday I may downsize from my current 56 gallon to a 10-15 gallon nano and I would definitely consider an invert only then. I also have a one gallon jar that I have kept as a pico and it is well suited for some inverts.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually like crustaceans better than fish or corals and have had invert tanks in the past. Normally I collect the inverts here in New York like this rock crab, very common here.

I have also kept quite a few times fiddler crabs in a special tank built for them

My hermit crab in my avatar is a local New York hermit crab. I took that picture at night while SCUBA diving here.

I used to have a sea urchin collection business and this is one of them.

These tiny octopus hatched out in my tank

And I collect amphipods.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried a couple times to have invert only tanks, one a rock nem nano, the other a clam only system.

Surprisingly enough both times very large pods grew, no idea of species, but they chewed on clam mantels and the rock nem mouths!

I didn’t want to add fish, but did put in a single small fish to control the pods and didn’t have issues after that.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i'm not against having an invertebrate only tank, but i do appreciate the look/feel of a mixed reef.

perhaps my office tank can be an invert-only tank :D

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant beat it imo. From succesfully spawning and rearing coral to actual plankton swarming around, an invert only tank (with no mechanical filtration or skimmer, that's constantly dosed with food from 1 to 300 microns + aminos) is just too cool if you enjoy biodiversity. but I'm not a big fan of reef fish, so it works for me.

Never had an issue of pods eating my clams, so that's good.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about a small Harlequin shrimp tank, but the feeding would get a bit tiresome. Also think about a pico nem/sexy shrimp harem tank. I'm unfamiliar with sizes of maxi minis, but if they stayed small enough I'd put them in a 3-5gal with sexies.

padilla95624

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon lantern tip BTA only tank. It started out as one and some fish but quickly squeezed out the fish and became 20!

Attachments

• 20231204_195105 (1).jpg
    20231204_195105 (1).jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 37

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back