No Coraline Algae

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank started 9 months ago - I used dry base rock (from Caribsea) - rocks have turned green, which I'm told is normal. I have frags in the tank with purple coraline algae on them, but there hasn't been any indication of the algae growing on anything else. I had a few spots on the rocks, but it didn't last long - they faded away.

Ca is always kept at 430ppm and all other parameters are in check. Not sure if there's something environmental that coraline algae needs to grow and thrive? Or is the tank still immature and needs time before the algae appears?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank started 9 months ago - I used dry base rock (from Caribsea) - rocks have turned green, which I'm told is normal. I have frags in the tank with purple coraline algae on them, but there hasn't been any indication of the algae growing on anything else. I had a few spots on the rocks, but it didn't last long - they faded away.

Ca is always kept at 430ppm and all other parameters are in check. Not sure if there's something environmental that coraline algae needs to grow and thrive? Or is the tank still immature and needs time before the algae appears?
Coraline will come with time. Pretty soon it becomes the bane of most reefers, because it grows over the glass and is a pain to scrape off. I suggest patience, and don't suggest adding anything to try to speed up it's growth.

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was the same. My tank was over a year old before coralline started to spread. And then it grew like a wild fire. Now I have to constantly scrape it off my glass just to be able to see the tank.

If your tank is healthy just give it time and it will seem to happen almost over night

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MY tank took 1 1/2 years for the coraline to take off. Now I'm scraping the glass. It will come in time.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will take time . And once you have it , you will wish you never wanted it .

But to speed it up you can scrape the little patches you see on rocks , frags or glass

Or ask for scrapings from your lfs
Adding the algae scrapings to your system will introduce the spores to grow

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I was a lucky one. It started in spots on my back wall after a coupe of months. I used dry rock also and I also added the Purple Helix Coraline after about a month. Today marks the 5 month mark for me. I can see 3-4 spots on the rocks now starting to show. I don't even know what my Ca is but I keep my Alk at 9. I guess it is different for everyone but I did use the Purple Helix in my last tank and it seemed to speed it along also.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone :) From the sounds of it, although as nice as it looks, it introduces some high maintenance, so perhaps better not to have it?

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is over 2 years old and run g5 xr15 radions and have little to no coralline. Buddy of mine at lfs swears it’s the lights because the lfs owner runs the same ones and can’t grow it either. What little does grow is just small white patches.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run 3 noopsyche lights over 60"x18"x24". Coraline does not grow on the glass, but it grows on the rocks.

I seriously think it's an led light thing.

Thanks everyone :) From the sounds of it, although as nice as it looks, it introduces some high maintenance, so perhaps better not to have it?
Curious, what lights are you using and alk, mag levels?

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally despise the stuff. it gets EVERYWHERE...glass, rocks, pumps tubing...I have it in my sump as well, and there's zero light there. so yeah. I'm in the club of I wish it didn't exist

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to scrape my front glass once a week on my 80+30 to remove coralline spots.
I run all leds and coralline growth can be bothersome at times.
My 45 is heavily coated on the overflow. The stuff loves acrylic and plastic.
Quick cell pic.
20230526_073620.jpg

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My tank has been up and running for 2 years and I barely have a little coralline starting. Started with dry rock as well.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally despise the stuff. it gets EVERYWHERE...glass, rocks, pumps tubing...I have it in my sump as well, and there's zero light there. so yeah. I'm in the club of I wish it didn't exist
So many strive for that purple rock and as well products out there to sell the idea of getting coraline algae :) You're right, maybe I better not wish for this.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to scrape my front glass once a week on my 80+30 to remove coralline spots.
I run all leds and coralline growth can be bothersome at times.
My 45 is heavily coated on the overflow. The stuff loves acrylic and plastic.
Quick cell pic.
20230526_073620.jpg
Thanks for sharing - that is really telling. I now don't want to see any spot of coralline algae after seeing this.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is over 2 years old and run g5 xr15 radions and have little to no coralline. Buddy of mine at lfs swears it’s the lights because the lfs owner runs the same ones and can’t grow it either. What little does grow is just small white patches.
Eh? It starts out as white before going purple? So LEDs keep the coraline away?

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5192.jpeg
IMG_5191.jpeg
IMG_5190.jpeg

This is how it grows in my tank. Spotty on pumps like this as well, and pretty much nothing on the rocks. I think it may just be the spectrum the radions are putting out and not par. My buddy runs photons over a 180 gallon waterbox in an sps tank at 400-500+ par and his coralline grows like wildfire!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here .
How does a plating shelf of coralline grow with little to no light ( actually I have a dollar store grow light over my cheato

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here .
How does a plating shelf of coralline grow with little to no light ( actually I have a dollar store grow light over my cheato
From what I remember reading, could be wrong, coralline grows better without light. It's calcium and alk based so no light needed

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back